This job expired on 25 April 2023 – see similar jobs
Start date details
25 April 2023 at 11:59pm
31 March 2023
- Key stage 3, Key stage 4, Key stage 5
- View all Physicsjobs, View all Sciencejobs
- View all Full timejobs - Directed
Full-time equivalent salary
- MPS (Outer London) + £1,500 Harris Allowance
Performance and Loyalty Bonus + Harris Wellbeing Cash Plan + Pension Scheme (TPS) + Additional Harris Benefits
What skills and experience we're looking for
Are you looking for your next step in teaching? We are looking for a qualified, experienced teacher to join Harris Academy Beckenham as 2iC Physics.
The successful candidate will:
- Hold QTS (or equivalent) and a relevant undergraduate degree
- Have a minimum of one year's teaching experience
- Have proven success in raising achievement.
- Show a high level of ICT skills and experience of how new technologies can be used to raise achievement
- Have recent experience of involvement in innovative curriculum development
- Show good understanding of creative whole school strategies for improving literacy and numeracy and the importance of this in raising achievement
- Have experience of embedding innovative strategies for Assessment for Learning and Learning to Learn.
- Be willing to use coaching as a model for ensuring on-going professional development.
- Have a proven ability to identify and implement strategies to raise standards of Teaching and Learning.
What the school offers its staff
Since opening in 2011, Harris Academy Beckenham has gone from strength to strength. We have been oversubscribed for the last three years, rapidly becoming the school of choice in the local area. Our GCSE and A Level results have improved each year, with our English and Maths combined score in 2016 reaching an outstanding 80% A*-C. Our ambition and aspiration will ensure that we continue to focus on the success of all of our students, irrespective of background. Since converting, results have dramatically improved and we secured a judgment of ‘Outstanding' from Ofsted in 2017.
Why work at Harris Academy Beckenham?
‘The school's culture of aspiration and ambition is clearly demonstrated in classes. Teachers are aspirational for their pupils and set high expectations for them. Pupils respond positively. They are determined to do their best and are confident about meeting ambitious targets set by their teachers.' (OFSTED 2017)
We invest in training and resources for our staff to help them make lessons fun, interesting and engaging. Class sizes are kept as small as possible and we place a firm emphasis on good behaviour so that students can learn in a calm and orderly environment.
We have a harmonious community with excellent relationships between students and staff, and our students have a focused and mature attitude towards their academic studies.
In addition to the opportunities for career development and progression, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includesour Harris Allowance for teachers on MPS/UPS,a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme with generous employer contributions, a Wellbeing Cash Plan including access to a virtual GP, electric car scheme, and many other benefits.
Further details about the role
The purpose of your role will be:
- To deputise for the Subject Coordinator, assisting in leading the creation and establishment of outstanding provision within the subject area.
- To be accountable for student progress and development in the subject area across KS3, KS4 and post 16, including meeting student achievement targets for subject areas which are agreed by the Principal and the Governing Body.
- To ensure high standards of teaching and learning across the subject area through continuously, developing and enhancing the quality of teaching and learning.
- To ensure the provision of an appropriately broad, balanced, relevant and differentiated curriculum for students in the subject area.
- To ensure that all school policies and procedures are implemented and applied consistently by all staff in the subject area.
- To ensure agreed tutor programme is implemented and that tutors are effective in their role.
- To effectively and efficiently manage and deploy teaching/support staff, financial and physical resources across the subject area.
- To lead development for literacy, within subject areas, to raise standards of Literacy across the academy.
Your main areas of responsibility will fall under the areas of:
- Operational and strategic planning (including contributing to the subject and faculty improvement plans, and assisting in the development of appropriate syllabuses, resources, schemes of work, marking policies, assessment and teaching strategies)
- Ensuring the delivery of an appropriate, comprehensive, high quality and cost effective curriculum and leading development of the subject and its delivery
- Staff development (including assisting in recruiting, building and managing an effective team of motivated staff)
- Student outcomes (including assisting the director in ensuring the effective operation of target setting, monitoring and evaluation systems and the input and maintenance of accurate student data)
- Pastoral system (including being a form tutor to a selected group of students)
- Teaching, including acting as an outstanding role model
Commitment to safeguarding
About Harris Academy Beckenham
- School type
- Academy, ages 11 to 18
- Education phase
- View all Secondaryjobs
- School size
- 1135 pupils enrolled
- Age range
- 11 to 18
- Ofsted report
- View Ofsted report (opens in new tab)
- School website
- Harris Academy Beckenham website (opens in new tab)
- Email address
- Phone number
- 0208 650 8694
Harris Academy Beckenham opened in September 2011, joining the highly successful Federation of Harris academies in London. The academy has specialisms in Science and Enterprise, using these to accelerate and innovate learning across all subject areas. Our students are training how to become effective and successful learners through the 4Rs (Resilience, Reflectiveness, Resourcefulness and Reciprocity), developing a growth mind-set in order to face learning challenges with optimism and confidence. Our Leadership Team is exceptional, with a strong commitment to collaboration, maintaining standards and accountability. We are oversubscribed, with a thriving student population of 1,100 from Year 7-13. Since converting, results have dramatically improved and we have secured a judgment of ‘outstanding’ from Ofsted under the new framework (July 2017). ‘The school’s culture of aspiration and ambition is clearly demonstrated in classes. Teachers are aspirational for their pupils and set high expectations for them. Pupils respond positively. They are determined to do their best and are confident about meeting ambitious targets set by their teachers.’ (OFSTED 2017) It is our ethos of "Aspire, Discover, Achieve" that was recognised and praised in our recent inspection, and which contributed to Harris Academy Beckenham being judged as ‘outstanding’ in every category. In addition, the outstanding progress made by our students, placing us as the most successful school in Bromley (Progress 8 2016), vastly impressed the inspectors. We have a harmonious community with excellent relationships between students and staff, and our students have a focused and mature attitude towards their academic studies. ‘Pupils’ conduct around the school is exemplary and the school is a calm and orderly environment.’ (OFSTED 2017) Our ethos at Harris Academy Beckenham aims to create outstanding scientific learners, as we train our students in resilience, reflectiveness, resourcefulness and reciprocity. These crucial skills underpin an enterprising attitude to learning and have already had significant impact on our students’ progress. In order to equip our students with the skills required to be confident and eloquent writers, readers and speakers, our innovative WORD programme is placed at the heart of our curriculum. Our focus on raising aspirations at every level has contributed to this excellent performance, and we intend to sustain and improve these results further year on year. Harris Academy Beckenham is an enriching, innovative and swiftly improving academy, with a brand new premises from September 2017. Come and see us in action: visits to Harris Academy Beckenham are strongly encouraged and very welcome. Please call 0208 650 8694 or email email@example.com to arrange a time to come in or an informal conversation with the Principal.
Similar jobs nearby
Weald of Kent Grammar School
Tudeley Lane, Tonbridge, Kent, TN9 2JP
The Richmond upon Thames School
Egerton Road, Twickenham, Middlesex, TW2 7SL
Park Academy West London
Park View Road, Hillingdon, Middlesex, UB8 3GA
Science Teacher – (with a specialism of Biology) September start
Seal Hollow Rd, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN13 3SL
Get a job alert when similar jobs are listed
Find more school jobs in Kent and Medway