2nd in Charge of English
This job expired on 20 February 2023 – see similar jobs
Start date details
20 February 2023 at 11:59pm
8 February 2023
- Key stage 3, Key stage 4, Key stage 5
- View all Englishjobs
- View all Full timejobs - Directed
- MPS/UPS (Inner London) + £1,500 Harris Allowance + TLR
Performance and Loyalty Bonus + Harris Wellbeing Cash Plan + Pension Scheme (TPS) + Additional Harris Benefits
What skills and experience we're looking for
Are you looking for your next step in teaching? We are looking for a qualified, experienced teacher to join Harris Academy Merton as 2iC of English.
The successful candidate will:
- Hold QTS (or equivalent) and a relevant undergraduate degree
- Have a minimum of three year's teaching experience
Have proven success in raising achievement.
Show a high level of ICT skills and experience of how new technologies can be used to raise achievement
Have recent experience of involvement in innovative curriculum development
Show good understanding of creative whole school strategies for improving literacy and numeracy and the importance of this in raising achievement
Have experience of embedding innovative strategies for Assessment for Learning and Learning to Learn.
Be willing to use coaching as a model for ensuring on-going professional development.
- Have a proven ability to identify and implement strategies to raise standards of Teaching and Learning.
What the school offers its staff
At Harris Academy Merton we promote the ethos ‘'Achievement is Success'' and believe every student has the right to the highest standard of education so that they can accomplish their aspirations. Our aim is to give every student an educational experience that is enjoyable and holistic so that they develop into responsible, articulate and successful young people.
We combine the traditional values of strong discipline, good manners, respect and pride in appearance with contemporary best practice in teaching and technology. With these core values embedded, we develop our students into confident and capable individuals that have a desire to excel academically and personally now and in the future.
Our people are at the heart of our success. We have developed a strong culture of collaboration and best practice, with professional development and career planning at its centre. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of top-quality training programmes delivered at every level to senior leadership.We look for talented individuals who share our vision for creating exceptional places of learning, and are committed to ensuring that every child in London has access to the best possible education.In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes our Harris Allowance for teachers on MPS/UPS, a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme, electric car scheme, a Wellbeing Cash Plan and many other benefits.
Further details about the role
- To lead the development of appropriate syllabuses, resources, schemes of work, marking policies, assessment and teaching and learning strategies in the subject area.
- The day-to-day management, control and operation of course provision within the subject area, including effective deployment of staff and physical resources.
- To actively monitor and follow up student progress.
- To implement Academy policies and procedures
- To work with colleagues to formulate aims, objectives and strategic plans for the subject area which have coherence and relevance to the needs of students and to the aims, objectives and strategic plans of the Academy.
- Arranging details for internal and external examinations.
- To attend all appropriate meetings.
- Ensure that the planning activities of the subject area reflect the needs of students within the subject area, the Academy Improvement Plan and the aims of the Academy.
- To ensure that the work in the curriculum area fully reflects the Academy's distinctive ethos and mission.
- To foster the application of ICT in the subject area, including the development of materials.
- To liaise with the Assistant Principal, Subject Coordinator and Head English to ensure the delivery of an appropriate, comprehensive, high quality and cost-effective curriculum programme which complements the Academy Improvement Plan/Academy Self Evaluation.
- To be accountable for the development and delivery of the subjects in the subject area.
- To take part, as may be required, in the review, development and management of activities relating to the curriculum, organisation and pastoral functions of the academy.
Commitment to safeguarding
About Harris Academy Merton
- School type
- Academy, ages 11 to 18
- Education phase
- View all Secondaryjobs
- School size
- 1388 pupils enrolled
- Age range
- 11 to 18
- Ofsted report
- View Ofsted report (opens in new tab)
- School website
- Harris Academy Merton website (opens in new tab)
- Email address
- Phone number
- 0208 623 1000
About Harris Academy Merton Harris Academy Merton serves students from Year 7 to Sixth Form, and has twice been judged Outstanding by Ofsted. The current student roll is 1200, with a planned increase in our Year 7 intake over the next two years taking our numbers from 180 to 240 students. Applications for places greatly exceed the places available. The academy is set in seven acres of land, containing five teaching blocks, a sports hall, a full size floodlit all weather pitch plus four full size floodlit tennis courts and our own playing fields as well as an administration building containing the assembly hall and dining hall. We are favourably located for public transport with good local access to bus, mainline train and underground links, as well as on-site parking for vehicles and bicycles. Come and see us in action: visits to Harris Academy Merton are strongly encouraged and very welcome. Please call 0208 623 1000 or email@example.com to arrange a time to come in or an informal conversation with the Principal.
Similar jobs nearby
Seal Hollow Rd, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN13 3SL
Our Lady's Catholic High School
6-16 Amhurst Park, London, N16 5AF
West Hatch High School
High Road, Chigwell, Essex, IG7 5BT
Eden Girls' School, Waltham Forest
Blackhorse Lane, Walthamstow, E17 5SD
Get a job alert when similar jobs are listed
Find more school jobs in Surrey