We are looking to appoint an exceptional 2nd in Charge of English to join our team in September 2021. This is an excellent opportunity for someone wishing to further develop their career.
Woodside High School is an oversubscribed 11-16 comprehensive school. Our students progress exceptionally well and we take pride in our strong values of academic achievement, equality of experience and respect for all.
Our strong systems ensure you can focus on your core purpose of teaching: robust behaviour systems, highly visible and supportive middle and senior leaders, robust teaching and learning framework
• Commitment to professional development within school and through our network of schools
• Collaborative leadership at both department and senior level
• Excellent support and guidance for NQTs
• Excellent career development
• A convenient location in Wood Green, with excellent transport links (Piccadilly line)
• 10 members of staff, supported by English TAs
• Fully equipped English classrooms, Library and computer rooms in a modern building
• We work collaboratively in a professional and friendly manner within department on curriculum and planning and are supported by SLT, Heads of Year and the Inclusion team on a daily basis
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. The successful applicant will be subject to an enhanced DBS check.
The closing date for receipt of applications is on 7TH May 2021 at noon
Second In-Charge of English
POST TITLE: Second In-Charge of English (full time).
PURPOSE: Support the Head of Department in his / her key role and undertake reasonable tasks requested as well as deputising for the Head of Department as required.
REPORTING TO: Head OF English
SALARY GRADE: MPS / UPS - TLR 2C
MAIN DUTIES: This role is significant in the leadership management and development of this key core subject within the school. Together with the HoD they will be solely responsible for student progress in English.
• To be accountable for the learning and achievement of all students in a Key Stage including:
• Liaison with outside agencies.
• Organisation of enrichment activities.
• Study support.
• Overall responsibility for Schemes of Work and assessment including assessment for Learning.
• Responsibility for examination entries, changes to entries and results queries.
• Overall responsibility for Key Stage results.
• Update set lists.
• To provide high quality leadership and management in support of HoD in ENGLISH within the Academy.
• To develop effective partnership outside the Academy to secure high levels of Student progress, support strategic development, share good practice, and plan collaborative activities.
• To ensure high standards of learning and teaching and academic attainment and progress for all students within the curriculum area.
• To implement an effective assessment system within the curriculum area.
• To work with colleagues to develop innovative and engaging schemes of
work, lesson plans and related learning resources tha accelerate student
• To take a significant part in the development, delivery and the promotion of
the curriculum area.
• To assist in the management of the resources of the Department within the
limits of the delegated budget and in accordance with the Academy’s financial procedures
• Along with the Head of Department, to devise and implement quality assurance systems.
• To contribute to the co-ordination and implementation of the Academy’s
enrichment curriculum including running after-school clubs.
• To undertake and support subject specific staff training and professional development within the curriculum area.
• To support development of the use of ICT within the curriculum area.
• To contribute to the Academy Development Plan and self-evaluation
processes as required.
• To work with all members of the Behaviour Team when students progress is
limited by negative attitudes, misbehaviour, unsatisfactory attendance and punctuality, long term illness or other factors so that effective appropriate intervention strategies can be put into place.
In addition to the above, the Second in Department is required to fulfil the general duties of a main scale teacher.
Whilst every effort has been made to explain the main duties and responsibilities of this post, each individual task may not be identified.
• Employees will be expected to comply with any reasonable request from a manager to
undertake work of a similar level that is not specified in this job description.
• Employees are expected to present themselves and act in a professional manner at all times, according to Woodside High School Code of Conduct.
• The school will endeavour to make an y necessary reasonable adjustment to the job and the working environment to enable access to employment opportunities for disabled applicants or continued employment for any employee who develops a disabling condition.
• This job description is not prescriptive in that the needs of the school may change and this could necessitate revision in the future and amendment at any time after consultations.
• The Job Description should be read alongside the range of professional duties of Teachers as set out in Teachers’ Pay and Conditions Document. The post holder will be expected to undertake duties in line with the professional standards for qualified teachers and uphold the Teachers’ Standards as set out by the Department for Education (DfE).
Applying for the job
Applications must be made by application form. Please do not send a CV.
More on how to apply
It will not be accepted
If you need these documents in an accessible format, please contact the school.