Assistant Head of English
Deadline is tomorrow
Job start date
1 September 2023
23 March 2023 at 12pm (midday)
14 March 2023
- Key stage 3, Key stage 4, Key stage 5
- View all Englishjobs
- View all Full timejobs - This is a 1.00FTE permanent post
- MPS or UPS
This role carries a TLR of £5,179
What skills and experience we're looking for
We are looking for an Assistant Head of English to join our successful and experienced English team
- You will support the Head of English with the sole aim of raising achievement
- You will lead, manage and be responsible for curriculum developments and all aspects of curriculum provision at KS3.
- You will be ambitious for yourself, for the English department and our students, ensuring all students achieve their full potential.
- You will be an English specialist who can demonstrate a student-centred passion for their subject, achieving excellent outcomes for all, across Key Stage 3, 4 and 5.
- You will set exceptionally high standards in all you do.
- You will plan and deliver innovative and challenging lessons that will inspire our students to become articulate, curious, imaginative, capable and productive members of our society, as well as delivering assemblies, liaising with parents and supporting the Senior Leadership Team in all they do.
- Be an innovative and inspiring practitioner and leader
- Be ambitious for yourself, your students and colleagues
- Be passionate about English, and convey this to all in the department
- Have excellent subject and specialist knowledge with a proven track record of outstanding English results
- Achieve excellent outcomes for all student groups
- Qualified to degree level and above
- Experience of teaching English to a range of abilities and ages (this may be from your training if an ECT)
- Experience of developing resources to support the curriculum and effective learning in the classroom
- Experience of reflecting on and improving teaching practice to impact teaching and student achievement
Teaching and Learning
- Excellent classroom practitioner – ensures that their own classroom practice models best practice
- Effective and systematic behaviour management
- Good communication, planning and organisational skills
- Acts as a role model to staff and pupils
passion for teaching
What the school offers its staff
WE VALUE YOU AND CAN OFFER...
■ Students who are welcoming, well behaved and curious young people
■ The support of an experienced governing body and a dedicated team of staff and leaders
■ A school that is at the heart of its community and is well respected
■ CPD tailored to support you as you develop within your role
■ A school that has innovative education and health care links
■ A successful sixth form with students who go onto top universities
■ Free use of the on-site Gym which was refurbished Autumn 2021 ■ Number of after school staff activities such as 5 aside football
■ Free membership of the Smart Clinic, benefits include:
○ 24 hour helpline
○ Access to a virtual GP 24/7
○ Support and advice on
○ Managing a condition
○ Better health
○ Cognitive behavioural therapy
○ Anxiety Management
○ Stress Management
○ Assertiveness and self-confidence training
○ Time management
■ Free onsite parking
■ Lifestyle Savings – Access a huge range of savings across the UK’s major retailers
■ Home and Electronics – Spread the cost of thousands of technology and home appliances shipped by Currys and John Lewis & Partners
■ Cycle to Work – Save up to 43%* on the latest bikes and accessories for your commute to work (savings are realised through a salary sacrifice arrangement. Excluding disposal fee. Figures are a guide only and dependent on personal situation).
■ On site Gym Membership
■ Eye Test Vouchers for eligible staff
■ Physiotherapy – Access to online advice and exercise programmes
■ Counselling & Wellbeing Support - Access to a Wellbeing Resource Library
■ GP Phone & Video Consultation – Accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Further details about the role
Thank you for your interest in the position of Assistant Head of English
Budehaven Community School is a thriving community, where we base everything we do on a foundation of care and enjoyment. We have the exciting opportunity to recruit a skilled, dedicated and experienced assistant head of English as our current member of staff has secured a promotion. Our ideal candidate will inspire our young people to achieve, and lead staff as they continue to develop as a team. Excellent curriculum knowledge is crucial to this role, as it is for all teachers, and a proven track record of outstanding results for young people is essential. We welcome applications from people who understand the English curriculum and the need for clear progression routes.
The successful candidate would help lead a large, well-established and skilled department. Students at the school enjoy English lessons and there is an increasing demand for places on English KS5 courses, so there is an excellent opportunity to help shape the post-16 provision within English. Classrooms are equipped with state of the art Smart TV boards, visualisers and white boards and the department have a large work room to facilitate collaborative working and the sharing of best practice.
The children who attend Budehaven Community School are bright, enthusiastic, and hard-working. As they move out of the pandemic, there is a real need to ensure standards are maintained and that they are supported through our positive behaviour policy, which can be viewed via our website. This is integral to good quality learning, and achievement, coupled with outstanding subject knowledge.
Please include in your application, any knowledge, skills and experience relevant to the role, and I look forward to reading your application,
Mr Dominic Wilkes
Commitment to safeguarding
Applying for the job
Please download the application form using the link below, and once completed send to email@example.comDownload an application form - 708 KB
Upload additional documents
If you need these documents in an accessible format, please contact the school.
About Budehaven Community School
- School type
- Local authority maintained school, ages 11 to 18
- Education phase
- View all Secondaryjobs
- School size
- 1215 pupils enrolled
- Age range
- 11 to 18
- Ofsted report
- View Ofsted report (opens in new tab)
- School website
- Budehaven Community School website (opens in new tab)
- Email address
- Phone number
- 01288 353271
Budehaven Community School is located on the beautiful north Cornwall coast in the town of Bude. We are proud to be a fully comprehensive school, welcoming and providing an inclusive education to students from ages 11 to 19. Our school also benefits from a thriving, successful Sixth Form, an on-site Area Resource Base and The Haven – our integrated Health and Wellbeing Centre, providing wider support for our students and members of the community. Budehaven Community School is a thriving environment to be part of, and our ethos, which is built on a foundation of Care, Enjoyment and Opportunities, building Responsibility, Confidence and Success, is tangible from the second you walk through the door. As you travel around our school, the energy of the students and staff is infectious. The stunning work of our talented young people is on display around the school, and their artwork is one of our jewels in the Budehaven crown within our stylish Bistro Art Gallery, aside that of local artists for all to appreciate. We have an annual art exhibition, where members of the community come and admire the work of our young people.
Arranging a visit to Budehaven Community School
To arrange a visit and increase the chance of a successful application email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Similar jobs nearby
Get a job alert when similar jobs are listed
Find more school jobs in Cornwall