RESPONSIBLE TO: The Headteacher
RESPONSIBLE FOR: In addition to the Conditions of Employment as laid down in the School Teachers’ Pay and Conditions Document 2013, the Postholder will provide strategic leadership for their own area of accountability. The Postholder will, with the school Senior Team (individual and collective), provide the leadership and management which enables Ridgewood to give every pupil the highest quality education and which promotes the highest possible standards of achievement and well-being.
To assist the Headteacher in creating the strategic direction of the school.
To work as a member of the School Senior Leadership Team to ensure that all policies are fully implemented.
To support the Headteacher in the strategic leadership of the school to ensure the continuing improvement, success and high standards of all students.
To strategically lead the direction and development of the school, in accordance with the ethos and vision of the school, within specific areas of responsibility.
• Take responsibility and accountability for an area of the School Development Plan, ensuring you make significant impact.
• Line manage and performance manage a significant group of Middle Leaders to ensure they are supported to meet the school’s challenging targets.
• Develop and enhance the teaching performance of others and model by example.
• Be a visible, proactive presence around the school, promoting positive behaviour, the school ethos and ensuring the smooth day-to-day running of the school.
• Fully implement all policies for safeguarding and the protection and safety of all children.
• Provide reports for the School’s governors and trustees, as appropriate.
• Work collaboratively with parents and support other colleagues.
• Motivate and challenge all staff to maintain high expectations of behaviours throughout the school.
• Contribute to the development of a programme of enrichment extending the school experience beyond the limits of the formal school day.
These will be discussed with the post holder and will be relevant to their area(s) of specialism.
GENERAL SENIOR LEADERSHIP RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Create and foster an environment of reflective practice and CPD, leading by example in all aspects of personal and professional development.
• Develop and maintain a culture of high expectations for self and others.
• Update the Headteacher, other senior leaders and the Governing Body on the effectiveness of the provision.
• Lead by example as a teacher, and as a manager, achieving high standards of student attainment and progress, behaviour and motivation through effective teaching.
• Challenge under-performance at all levels and to ensure corrective action and follow up.
• Support the development and maintenance of school policies and practices to ensure consistent application.
• Have a teaching commitment in line with Assistant Hadteacher status of around 25 periods per fortnight.
• Plan, chair and organise meetings as appropriate.
• Sustain effective, positive relationships with all staff, pupils, parents/carers, Governors and the local community.
• Liaise effectively with all stakeholders including parents/carers, feeder schools, secondary schools, business and community partners, in line with strategic objectives.
• Maintain clear expectations and high standards of professionalism.
• Attend school events and activities as directed by the Headteacher.
• Keep the Senior Team up to date with national developments specific to the post’s areas of responsibility.
• Contribute to, and at times lead, research projects.
• Manage budget(s) in line with areas of responsibility.
• Take assemblies and participate in break, lunchtime, before and after hours’ supervision.
• Any other reasonable duties as requested by the Headteacher.
Creating the Future of the School
• Working with the Senior Leadership Team of Ridgewood School to continue to shape and develop the strategic vision of the School.
• Motivate others to create a shared learning culture and positive climate through distribution of leadership through teams and individuals.
• Translate the vision into agreed objectives and operational plans.
Key Documents Responsibility:
• Create key elements of the School Development Plan as directed by the Headteacher
• Create key sections of the School SEF as directed by the Headteacher
• Relevant policy and practice contributions for the Staff Handbook.
• Relevant reports to Governors, including Head’s report to Governors.
This role may be adapted to meet the needs of the school at any time. Employees will be expected to comply with any reasonable request from the Headteacher to undertake work of a similar level not specified in the job description.
Essential educational requirements
Academically strong with a good degree
Qualified teacher status
Essential skills and experience
An outstanding classroom practitioner with a strong track record of achieving excellent examination results
• Committed to continuing professional development
• Experience at senior level
• Working successfully as a member of a team
• Managing staff
• Supporting and directing the overall raising of aspirations and standards across the range of abilities
• Evidence of CPD in the last 5 years relevant to current management and educational issues.
• Evidence of leadership and motivational skills
• Good written and oral communication
• Proven organisational ability
• Strategic and resource management
• Individual coaching to improve performance
• Self evaluation
• Leadership of change
• Ability to delegate
• Clear understanding of what constitutes an ‘outstanding school’
• Detailed knowledge of current curriculum issues
• Understanding and knowledge of current issues in education
Personal and Professional Attributes
• Creative thinker
Salary to be remunerated in line with experience and evidence of impact in role
About Ridgewood School
Staff and students at Ridgewood work hard every day to embody the school’s core values: Excellence, Teamwork, Enjoyment and Integrity. We are enjoying a trajectory of continued success and look forward to welcoming a successful applicant who can join us on our journey. We became a standalone academy in 2011, and we are incredibly proud of the progress we have made as a school, having laid strong foundations for further improvement going forward. Our school motto, ‘Prepare for the road ahead’, represents our belief in preparing our staff and students for their future. We exemplify our motto not only in terms of academic achievement, but also in terms of the training, enrichment and experiences which make us all model citizens. Our school values underpin what we do and contribute to our ethos in everything we undertake as a school community. We set our standards high and do not compromise, because we believe in the best for everyone.
- Barnsley Road, Doncaster, South Yorkshire, DN5 7UB
- Ridgewood School website (opens in a new window)