Leadership Scale (Outer London)
We are seeking an outstanding, experienced qualified teacher to work within our high performing Academy as Assistant Principal. This is an excellent opportunity for an outstanding middle leader to take on further leadership responsibility. Areas of responsibility to be decided on appointment.
The purpose of your role will be:
You will have a wealth of opportunities to develop as a leader with the Harris Federation. We can offer you a range of bespoke courses and qualifications through our Teaching School, including our Aspiring Leaders NPQH for aspiring principals.
- Direct line management of allocated subject areas, ensuring the highest standards of teaching, learning and achievement are secured.
- Leading in the monitoring, evaluation and review of standards, provision and pastoral care within the allocated Faculty.
- Playing a leading and highly visible role in the day-to-day management of the faculty, ensuring both the pastoral and academic success of all students across the faculty.
- Leading on the staffing and organisation of innovation days in designated subject areas, monitoring, evaluating and reviewing outcomes in terms of student progress.
- Overseeing the strategic management of data, assessment and target setting.
- Establishing successful raising achievement plans and intervention programmes for Year 11 within your designated Faculty area.
- Establishing a range of successful intervention programmes to close the gap, with particular focus on specific groups of students, to include: SEN, EAL and G&T.
- Ensuring that every member of team within your designated Faculty has a bespoke teaching and learning programme which ensure that good or outstanding lessons can be consistently delivered.
Succession planning is a key part of our success as a Federation, and we believe that we are at the forefront of developing the next generation of Leaders. We can help prepare you for your next Senior Leadership challenge, investing in your knowledge and expertise through regular support, coaching and a wide range of professional development and training.
What we are looking for
We look for talented individuals who want to be a part of transforming education in London, and helping create exceptional places of learning. The successful candidate will have:
Please download the job pack for a full job description and person specification.
- Qualified teacher status, and, ideally, an additional education qualification (e.g. MA, NPQSL,NPQH)
- Honours degree or equivalent
- Knowledge and understanding of sixth form specific activities e.g. UCAS
- Clear knowledge and understanding of current educational issues.
- A minimum of four years teaching experience, minimum of two at subject leadership level.
- Substantial and recent teaching experience at KS4 and KS5.
- Proven success in raising achievement as a subject leader across at least two key stages.
- Experience of leading, supporting and managing others, both individuals and teams, ensuring high quality performance.
- Successful experience in implementation of monitoring, evaluation and review process to improve the quality of teaching and learning.
- Some successful experience of leading on cross subject initiatives that have contributed to raising achievement.
- Experience of embedding innovative strategies for Assessment for Learning and Learning to Learn.
Being a part of the Harris Federation
We are recognised as the top performing large multi-academy trust in England for primary and secondary education. Closing the gap between young people from disadvantaged backgrounds and their peers has always been a core mission of Harris. Holding a reputation for bringing transformative approaches to education, we hold a unrivalled track record in achieving success through rapid school improvement.
Our people are at the heart of this success. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of training programmes available at every stage of your career.
We look for talented individuals who share our vision for creating exceptional places of learning, and are committed to ensuring that every child in London has access to the best possible education.
Learn more About Harris and our Vision and Values
The Harris Federation and all our academies are committed to ensuring the highest levels of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and we expect all our staff and volunteers to share in this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, references, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants.
Read our Statement on the Recruitment of Ex-Offenders
Diversity and Equality
We are committed to equality and to valuing diversity as an employer and a provider of education.
Read our Diversity and Equality Notice
In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package. Please visit the Harris careers website for more information.
Academy, ages 11 to 18
1261 pupils enrolled
11 to 18
About Harris City Academy Crystal Palace
Harris City Academy Crystal Palace opened as Harris CTC in 1990 and converted to an Academy in September 2007. The Academy is a mixed school for 1,300 students aged 11-18 recruiting students from Croydon, Bromley, Lewisham, Southwark and Lambeth. The Academy has twice been judged to be outstanding by Ofsted, with the most recent inspection judging the school to be outstanding in every aspect. Student progress is in the top 3% nationally.We are an ambitious school, delivering a high quality education for each one of our students. At Harris City Academy Crystal Palace we aim to prepare young people for an ever-changing world that values self-confident, well-educated and enterprising people.Our vision is simple - ‘All Can Achieve’. Students are at the centre of everything we do and we aim to give all the necessary foundations for success by helping students develop the skills and attributes that will provide them with real life-chances. Students are expected to work hard and to achieve their individual best academically, to develop skills relevant to the 21st Century and to develop the self-confidence and sense of purpose necessary for success in a highly competitive global society. Harris City Academy Crystal Palace provides a safe, yet challenging environment where students can succeed and excel, and by having the highest of expectations all can truly achieve.
Harris City Academy Crystal Palace has a long established, distinctive and positive ethos which guides our work and the education of our students. Preparation for adult life underpins our Academy aims and the well developed culture which is established across all aspects and functions of the Academy. We are committed to the success of each of our students and this is reflected through the Academy's values and aims to deliver:
Why work at Harris City Academy Crystal Palace?
- Exam success - we want our students to get the best possible qualifications
- Challenge, relevance and engagement - we want our students to be fully involved in their learning
- Appropriate skills for living, for work and for happiness
- Active citizens
- Self-identity and a feeling of self-worth
- Opportunities and experiences that ignite our students
- Healthy habits that are embedded for life
CPD and Teaching Development opportunities
- A long established and highly successful school: one of the most oversubscribed in the country and the top school in Croydon at Attainment 8 2017
- As a Teaching School, we are able to offer all teachers an extensive programme of first class professional development and a vibrant learning community giving all the opportunities to excel.
- All the advantages of a successful academy group, including a strong central team of support, teaching and leadership staff
- Generous Harris rewards and benefits package
Harris City Academy Crystal Palace Teaching School has been an established part of the Harris Teaching School Alliance for a number of years, delivering a varied library of subject specialist, leadership and safeguarding courses. The programmes available at the Teaching School site are designed to enrich and upskill teachers of all leadership levels. Led by informed, specialist practitioners from a host of teaching and industry rich backgrounds, Harris City Academy Crystal Palace Teaching School provides a multitude of opportunity to both internal and external applicants.