The Assistant Principal will ensure that all pupils at Atlantic Academy have the capacity to succeed. The postholder will deputise for the Principal in their absence and will be accountable for leading, managing and developing pastoral support provision, with particular focus on safeguarding, behaviour, attendance and development of the whole student, in line with the Academy’s values. The role, in summary:
• To raise standards of student behaviour and attendance, in order to support attainment and achievement of learners in the Academy and to track, monitor and support student progress in these areas.
• To strategically lead safeguarding for Atlantic Academy.
• To manage a team of coaches and support staff in the delivery of pastoral support for all learners.
• To develop and enhance the pastoral support practice of staff in the Academy.
• To ensure the provision of an appropriately broad, balanced, relevant and differentiated curriculum for students studying PHSE, in accordance with the aims of the Academy and the curricular policies determined by the Governing Body and Principal of the Academy.
• To contribute to the leadership and management of the Academy through relevant leadership meetings.
The Assistant Principal will support the Principal in:
• Communicating the school’s vision compellingly and supporting the Principal’s strategic leadership.
• The day-to-day management of the school.
• Formulating the aims and objectives of the school.
• Establishing policies for achieving these aims and objectives.
• Managing staff and resources to that end.
• Monitoring progress towards the achievement of the school’s aims and objectives.
The Assistant Principal will also have a timetabled teaching commitment of 50%, complying with the Teachers’ Standards and modelling best practice for others. They will undertake an appropriate programme of teaching and will be expected to lead other staff by example. They may also be required to undertake any of the duties delegated from the Principal.
The Assistant Principal will:
• Uphold public trust in school leadership and maintain high standards of ethics, behaviour and professional conduct.
• Build positive and respectful relationships across the wider school community.
• Serve in the best interests of the school’s students.
For a full job description and person specification please visit the Atlantic Academy website at https://atlantic.academy/vacancies/
Closing date for applications is Monday 19th April, 2021 9am
Interviews scheduled to take place on Tuesday 27th April 2021.
Launceston College Multi Academy Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All posts are subject to DBS clearance and appropriate pre-employment checks.
If you need these documents in an accessible format, please contact the school.
184 pupils enrolled
11 to 16
About Atlantic Academy
Atlantic Academy is part of the Launceston College Multi Academy Trust (Trust) alongside Altarnun Primary, Bideford College, Egloskerry Primary, Launceston College and Launceston Primary School (opening in September 2021).
Our Trust aims for young people to become happy, responsible and successful by learning the knowledge, skills and values which are important for society.
We seek to develop adventurous students, who have the character, resilience and self-awareness required to be successful. We have exceptionally high aspirations for our students and seek to support them no matter what their background or circumstances.
We offer a distinctively broad, personalised, and academically rigorous curriculum across our primary and secondary schools, and aspire to the highest standards of teaching and learning.
As a Trust we share information and best practices to ensure we focus on an excellent and sustainable 0-19 learning journey for children, with a strong focus on our school and Trust community.
The Trust offers expert guidance and advice to students to help them shape and achieve their future goals without limitation. We want to equip every student with the knowledge, skills and values they need to achieve the very best that they can.
We have a teaching and learning strategy which provides an overarching intent for the highest standards across learning environments, aspiration challenge and support, subject expertise and deep thinking and learning.
We seek applicants who are aligned to our aim and vision and have the talent and passion to deliver that vision successfully. We support all our schools with our Trust-wide leadership and management, CPD, external networks, teaching and learning, school improvement, financial, administrative, estates, safeguarding and HR expertise.
We are looking for teaching and support staff who will deliver an exceptional education for the young people in our care.
Atlantic Academy opened in 2018 and is a growing 11 – 18 secondary school in the beautiful setting of the North Devon coast.
Atlantic Academy seeks to create a safe, caring, and supportive learning environment that allows for individual differences and learning styles to be celebrated. Each student’s confidence, resilience and enthusiasm for learning is fostered by positive relationships with fellow students, staff and our broader community.
The Atlantic Academy values are centred around wellbeing, respect, curiosity and adventure, and appreciating education and lifelong learning. We are proud of our school community, which we are looking to grow over the following years.
We will offer:
● A modern, well equipped school with outstanding facilities.
● A small team of dedicated and committed staff.
● A culture which seeks to be fair, developmental, and supportive of staff and pupils.
● Opportunities to access professional development to ensure you are successful at the start and as the role develops.
● A large network across the primary and secondary settings, focusing on the 0-19 journey.
● Support from cross Trust systems and school improvement leaders.