Assistant Principal - SENCO, Literacy & Safeguarding
Grace Academy Coventry is a secondary Academy with approximately 680 students. Grace Academy Coventry has been part of Tove Learning Trust (TLT) since April 2019. The role of the Assistant Principal overseeing SEND, Literacy and Safeguarding is to provide leadership and manage all systems, which assist students in need of learning support, in collaboration with parents, students, staff and external support agencies. In addition, lead and raise the profile of literacy across the academy, along with ensuring expected student progress for every student in the academy. To ensure the academy has a robust safeguarding policy and procedures are followed.
Reporting to: Vice Principal
Salary: L12-L16 (£53,857 - £59,529)
• To lead, manage and monitor staff, student and system performance ensuring correct levels of challenge, support and aspiration are in place to secure good or better student progress and high standards in all areas.
• Expertly lead the SEND Provision to create a great provision.
• Take the strategic lead as Designated Lead for Safeguarding, ensuring that all staff are fully trained in the area of Safeguarding.
• Be accountable for the standards of teaching and learning and pupil progress in Literacy throughout the Academy. Lead, manage and develop Literacy across the Academy.
• Provide training opportunities for SEND teaching assistants and other teacher to learn about SEND.
• Disseminate good practice in SEND across the Academy.
• Identify resources needed to meet the need of students with SEND.
• Identify and adopt the most effective teaching approaches for students with SEND.
• Monitor teaching and learning activities to meet the needs of students with SEND.
• Identify and teach study skills that will develop students’ ability to work independently.
• Liaise with primary school to ensure continuity of support and learning when transferring students with SEND.
• To update the Principal and governing body on the effectiveness of provision for students with SEND.
• To advise on the preparation and development of teaching materials, teaching programmes, methods of teaching and assessment.
• To contribute to the professional development of teachers and teaching assistants on matters relating to student’s specific educational needs.
• To contribute to the induction and assessment of new and newly qualified teachers to work with SEND students.
• To organise whole Academy policies in support of students with SEND.
• To manage information from Primary schools and parents to aid in the identification of students in needs of learning support.
• To set up systems for identifying, assessing and review SEND and to maintain the SEND register.
• To write IEP’s and EHC plans for students.
• To advise and oversee the casework external support.
• To liaise with outside agencies and submit the paperwork for statutory assessment when necessary.
• To write advice for staff relevant to all other SEND in the light of outside agency communication.
• To draw up and monitor the resource requirements and to requisition resources and materials in accordance with arrangements made for the purpose.
• To oversee public examination entries for SEND students.
• Take overall lead responsibility for safeguarding and child protection in Grace Academy Coventry following the most current KCSIE guidelines.
• Provide line management of the Safeguarding team, supporting and challenging them to achieve all targets.
• Devise and lead implementation of a safeguarding development strategy.
• Develop and lead implementation of strategies to enhance admission arrangements for new students.
• Develop and lead implementation of strategies to sustain the highest levels of standards of safeguarding to ensure all children and safe and happy and that the academy follows and meets statutory guidance.
• Fulfil the role of lead person for Child Protection and develop strategies to ensure the effective safeguarding of children.
• Lead on Health & Safety in the Academy, including effective liaison with external agencies and line management of site services.
• Lead with the Senior Vice Principal, the delivery of an ‘Intervention’ Group to enhance and sustain a bespoke programme of support for learners at-risk in relation to safeguarding, behaviour and attendance.
• To review and develop the academy’s current literacy interventions including DEAR.
• To analyse class assessment data and implement effective interventions for those students/groups of students not on track.
• To provide written feedback to students in line with the department’s feedback policy.
• To implement and develop additional interventions to support our students’ literacy needs.
• To record, monitor and assess the impact of all literacy interventions.
• To work with all departments in order to raise the profile of literacy across the whole academy.
• To co-ordinate the preparation and development of programmes of learning, differentiated teaching materials, methods of teaching and assessment protocols, rotas, moderation and validation to support accurate predictions and progress analysis
• To ensure that all subject programmes of learning/ schemes of work reflect Academy curriculum policies and meet the requirements of National Curriculum programmes of study as appropriate
• In lessons to promote good behaviour and praise, maintaining discipline in accordance with the rewards, rules and disciplinary systems of the Academy.
• Through Quality Assurance process monitor the academic progress of all students, quality of staff performance in relation to teaching, marking and all aspects of Teacher Standards (Sept 2012) maintaining high standards of work, discipline and conduct, in accordance with Academy policies.
• To lead the development of professional development processes for all staff ensuring impact is evidenced
• To maintain recording systems which meet the requirements of the Academy and which will enable effective reporting to parents on National Curriculum levels of attainment, progress and welfare of students.
• To provide the highest standards of pastoral care and guidance to all students in the Academy at all times including the highest level of communication with parents and all other agencies or partners
• To contribute to the leadership and management of the Academy to secure aspiration and a sense of pride by all students.
• To ensure that students understand and subscribe to the values and ethos of the Academy through a programme of assemblies, tutor time and other ethos and values events
• To maintain the highest standards of attendance, punctuality, politeness, preparation and purpose at all times.
• To challenge and encourage students to have high aspirations and high expectations of themselves through excellent pastoral care and guidance.
Other duties carried out periodically or at the request of the Principal within agreed areas of responsibility:
• To hold regular meetings and to ensure good communication within the Academy.
• To assist the Principal in the preparation of reports relating to the work of the Academy to be made to the governing body or any other external body
• To make contributions relating to materials published about the Academy
• To review the curriculum offer
• To research all possible examination routes and advise the most suitable to maximise student achievement
• To support the effective management of the Academy budget.
• To promote equal opportunities within the Academy and to seek to ensure the implementation of the Academy’s Equal Opportunities Policy.
• To lead and manage Academy supervisory duties in accordance with published schedules, ensuring staff operate effectively
To carry out any other reasonable duties as directed by the Governors or Principal.
Essential educational requirements
• Appropriate qualifications: Qualified Teacher Status (essential)
• Other nationally recognised awards eg MBA, NCSL (desirable)
• To hold SEND qualification (Leadership of Educational inclusion programme) or be willing to undertake training.
• To hold DSL qualification or be willing to undertake DSL training.
Essential skills and experience
• Have previous evidence of strategic planning with tangible evidence of impact
• Demonstrate the ability to of conflicting demands to develop clear objectives that are embraced by staff, parents/carers and students
• Demonstrable experience of translating the objectives into achievable targets within an Academy Improvement Plan
• Clear evidence of working within and developing and building an effective team
• Ability to take difficult decisions and convey outcomes clearly and sensitively within an open, fair and equitable culture
• Evidence of an ability to develop, monitor and manage a subject curriculum through an effective teaching community catering for all student backgrounds and abilities
• Ability to build and maintain effective Quality Assurance partnerships within Grace Academy, external agencies and partners such as Local Governing
• Body, LA, sister academies, Ofsted, parents/carers and other stakeholders
We became part of Tove Learning Trust from April 2019. The trust schools have a shared vision and purpose: to deliver outstanding educational experiences that lead to inspiring outcomes. Each academy has a strong individual identity and tailors their educational provision to serve their local community. Academies within the trust collaborate to share expertise and maximise opportunities and experiences for our students.
In order to support colleagues we have a full CPD programme for staff at all stages of their career both internally and externally. We understand the challenges of working in our profession and have an active Well-being Committee and Workload Committee who focus on promoting a healthy work life balance.
About Grace Academy Coventry
Grace Academy Coventry aims to develop well educated, considerate and caring citizens with a strong sense of values who will succeed in, and contribute to modern society. At Grace Academy, we believe that excellent teaching and support, world-class facilities and outstanding resources combine to give our students the best possible preparation for their adult life. The Grace Academies joined Tove Learning Trust in 2019.
- Wigston Road, Coventry, West Midlands, CV2 2RH
- Grace Academy Coventry website (opens in a new window)