Assistant Subject Leader of Geography
Purpose of Post:
Assist the Subject Leader in the teaching, learning and development of the subject throughout the College, ensuring that each student is positively encouraged to develop his/her potential to the full. Take on specific subject/teaching and learning responsibilities - appropriate to the grade – to be negotiated after appointment with the Subject Leader
• To assist in the implementation of the whole College Teaching and Learning Strategy within the subject area of every School.
• To assist in developing and maintaining high quality teaching and learning throughout the subject area for which the teacher is accountable.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties to be performed in accordance with the provisions set out in the School Teachers’ Pay and Conditions Document and the relevant standards for teaching staff.
Assisting, Advising, Supporting and Deputising for the Subject Leader in:
1. Ensuring the whole College Teaching and Learning Strategy is implemented by all teachers within this subject area in every School.
2. Ensuring that there are high standards of teaching and learning through lesson observation and ensuring appropriate CPD for department members, having a commitment to your own development.
3. Ensuring the majority of students achieve challenging targets and implementing effective intervention as appropriate.
4. Having up to date knowledge of subject, pedagogy, classroom management, research/inspection findings.
5. Planning, implementing and reviewing the subject curriculum within the framework of the National Curriculum, ensuring that appropriate schemes of work are in place.
6. Encourage and model collaborative planning.
7. Ensuring that assessment is both regular and thorough and that full records of work done by teachers and students in the department are kept.
8. Ensuring that department members monitor and evaluate student progress using comparative data.
9. Having appropriate knowledge of how ICT can be used to enhance learning.
10. Assisting the Principal in the performance management and the threshold assessment process.
11. Contributing to the selection for appointment and professional development of other teachers and support staff, including the induction and assessment of new teachers and teachers serving induction periods.
12. Representing the department in all matters in the school relating to the curriculum.
13. Attending curriculum/CPD meetings.
14. Liaising with the Learning Resource Centre Manager in the task of supporting learning in the school.
15. Assisting the school’s SENCO in ensuring that students who have special learning difficulties follow appropriate teaching and learning programmes.
16. Maintaining and developing links with partnership feeder schools, colleges, universities and appropriate employers.
17. Ensuring educational enhancement (e.g. booster classes, visits).
18. Preparing and monitoring the departmental budget, ensuring value for money.
19. Ensuring that the stock and equipment is well cared for and efficiently used.
20. Ensuring that the teaching spaces present a safe and stimulating environment conducive to learning and that appropriate risk assessments are carried out.
21. Organise all external examination entries with the Examinations Officer for the department.
22. Ensuring that accurate subject levels are recorded for all students at the end of KS3 where necessary.
23. Implementing such polices as determined by the College’s Governing Body.
24. To comply with policies and procedures relating to the Code of Conduct, safeguarding, health and safety, security, confidentiality and data protection etc.
The above duties are not exhaustive and the postholder may be required to undertake tasks, roles and responsibilities as may be reasonably assigned to them by the Principal.
Essential educational requirements
Honours degree in relevant subject
Qualified Teacher Status
Essential skills and experience
Experience of supporting Subject Leadership within a secondary school context
Experience of using school data effectively to raise achievement
Experience of supporting the leading teams of staff ensuring subject knowledge to enable learning
Experience of developing and improving the quality of teaching and learning within a subject area
Experience of helping to turn Inadequate and Satisfactory Teaching and Learning into Good and Good into Outstanding
Ability to model good/outstanding teaching and learning
Ability to ensure a whole-school positive behaviour culture and assist department members in doing the same
Ability to work on own initiative and prioritise work to given deadlines.
Ability to assist other teachers to become outstanding practitioners
Ability to accurately assess quality of Teaching and Learning
Ability to respect and maintain confidentiality.
Commitment to the safeguarding and promotion of the welfare of young people.
The college offers the following benefits to its staff in addition to competitive salaries:
• Access to Local Government or Teachers’ Pension Scheme
• Excellent access to the college by public transport – direct trains to Barnsley from Leeds, Huddersfield, Sheffield, Wakefield, Meadowhall
• Proximity to the M1 and A628 – around 30 minutes commute from Leeds, Huddersfield, Sheffield, Rotherham, Doncaster
• Comprehensive staff wellbeing offer including: free breakfast; access to local authority wellbeing support; in-college HR wellbeing guidance and access to counselling; staff workload review; flu vaccinations; free access to the college gym
• A comprehensive professional development programme for teaching and support staff, including opportunities for achieving professional qualifications and supporting career progression
• Free Microsoft Office 365 and OneDrive for personal use for up to five machines/devices.
Horizon Community College is committed to ensuring and promoting the wellbeing and professional support of all staff under its care.
About Horizon Community College
- Dodworth Road, Barnsley, South Yorkshire, S70 6PD
- LA Maintained School
- Horizon Community College website (opens in a new window)