- Lead the Art & Design Department in all matters relating to the curriculum across the school.
- Focus on, and support, staff in developing the highest standards of teaching and learning in the department.
- Be responsible for fostering positive self-esteem and supportive relationships for all students, founded upon respect and mutual trust.
- Be responsible for maximising the academic progress of the students they teach by delivering the very highest standards of teaching and learning.
- Promote a positive, purposeful and professional working atmosphere that encourages cooperation and challenge whilst valuing the contribution that individuals make to the success of the school.
- Promote equality of opportunity for all regardless of race, religion or gender and encourage excellence, resourcefulness and perseverance.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Promote high standards in all aspects of school life, particularly in student progress.
- Actively support the vision, ethos, culture and policies of the school.
- Inspire and motivate students, teachers and other school employees.
- Comply with the professional duties of the KHS staff Code of Conduct.
- Contribute to a school culture which is positive, purposeful and professional.
- Engage positively in the school Appraisal process and performance management arrangements.
- Be committed to safeguarding and to promoting the welfare of children and young people.
- Be an outstanding role model, setting high personal expectations of subject teaching, professionalism, professional development and administration.
- Provide the department with clear goals and targets that are consistent with and reflect the school-wide development targets.
- Identify priorities for improvement and implement plans to achieve this.
- Promote a positive culture within the department ensuring that all students are stretched and challenged, enjoy and value the subject.
- Attend Teaching & Learning Responsibility (TLR), Head of Faculty (HOF) and whole school meetings with the SLT to review curriculum matters specific to the faculty, department and school.
- Lead appropriate projects and initiatives, within and outside the curriculum, that promote and develop the subject and the faculty.
- Monitor student data, reports and support the Head of Faculty with the quality assurance of strategies through faculty based work scrutinies, learning walks and assessments.
Teaching and Learning
- Strive for outstanding learning and teaching for all students in all lessons offered by the department.
- Monitor progress of all classes to check all course works are in line with the high standards set by the faculty and completed on time.
- Maintain knowledge of exam board specifications and plan an engaging, relevant and challenging curriculum for all key stages.
- Provide students with the information they need at the start of the course, including an outline of the whole year so they can effectively read ahead / catch up lessons they miss.
- Promote student independence, leadership and voice within the department.
- Stay up to date with pedagogical and curricular developments and offer recommendations and professional development to the department as appropriate.
- Write curriculum information for parents, course outlines for reports and any other whole school or marketing documents that are required.
- Seek opportunities to develop cross-curricular approaches with other departments.
- Seek to maximize opportunities to create continuity between curriculum delivery inside and outside the school e.g. school trips, visiting speakers.
- Establish and monitor clear homework expectations within the department ensuring compliance with the homework policy.
- Be an excellent teaching practitioner in planning, preparing and delivering well-structured, clearly presented lessons appropriate to the abilities of all students and maximising their learning progress.
If you're interested in teaching or training to teach in England as an international citizen, we can help you understand your next steps
Visas cannot be sponsored.