We are seeking an enthusiastic, innovative and highly motivated Associate Teacher (for Y7) to join our growing team of staff in KS3 from January 2020 to supervise lessons and lead learning during any short-term absences of teaching staff in our pioneering Opening Minds team. The successful candidate will be required to demonstrate good classroom management and ensure that students complete the work set by teaching staff to a high standard. The post will also entail some in-class support during lessons, working with small-groups or creating/producing resources, when the demand for covering lessons is low. The post holder would also be expected to contribute to the extra-curricular life of the school, through after school enrichment or running a club. This role would be ideal for a good honours graduate considering a career in teaching and/or planning to seek a place on an ITT/PGCE course in September 2020. Historically a number of Associate Teachers at Whitley Academy who started out in Y7 Opening Minds have taken up such positions through our RSA Teaching School Alliance provision (2016-2019), hence the vacancy. Previous experience of working with young people is advantageous but not essential. Excellent communication skills/ability to develop a positive rapport with students and teaching staff are important.
You must be:
- Actively considering teaching as a career,
- Qualified to degree level,
- Excited about contributing to the development of Teaching & Learning in the Opening Minds team,
- Committed to making a difference to the lives of pupils,
- Resilient with a strong personal drive,
- Someone who will have high expectations of both students and their colleagues,
- Values driven, and
- Someone who can forge positive relationships with students to encourage great learning in the classroom.
Essential educational requirements
Educated to degree level (or equivalent)
English and Maths at GCSE/O level Grade C or equivalent
Essential skills and experience
• To communicate effectively.
• To motivate and encourage students to work co-operatively together and independently.
• To establish and maintain good professional relationships with adults and young people and to deal with difficult situations sensitively.
• To lead, organise and co-ordinate classroom activities as required.
• To plan and lead effective lessons that ensure clear learning objectives are met.
• Ability to adapt to different situations and show initiative.
• Commitment to one’s own professional development in relation to T&L practice and through research.
• A belief that schools can make a difference.
We will offer you;
- A positive and innovative learning culture, where wellbeing and workload are effectively managed,
- A dedicated, highly skilled and committed staff, upholding high expectations of and aspirations for all of our students,
- A strong sense of community and a warm, welcoming workplace,
- PiXL network access, developing new ideas and strategies to impact on student learning and
- A number of additional benefits including a fantastic internal CPD programme built into directed time - fostering excellence in teaching and learning, a personal laptop, free parking, and a vibrant modern building and facilities in a beautiful location, beside a nature reserve within easy reach of the M40/M6 corridor.
About Whitley Academy
When staff, students and families walk through our gates and onto our site they belong to the Whitley Academy community. In our community, we are proud of our school and are committed to supporting all staff and students to be the best they can be.
- Abbey Road, Coventry, West Midlands, CV3 4BD
- Whitley Academy website (opens in a new window)