- No, visa sponsorship not available
Full-time equivalent salary
Our people are at the heart of our success. We have developed a strong culture of collaboration and best practice, with professional development and career planning at its centre. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of top-quality training programmes delivered at every level to senior leadership.
We look for talented individuals who share our vision for creating exceptional places of learning, and are committed to ensuring that every child in London has access to the best possible education.
In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes our Harris Allowance, a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme, a Wellbeing Cash Plan and many other benefits.
Attendance Officer job summary
Do you have experience overseeing attendance at a school level? We are looking for an Attendance Officer to join our dedicated academy team at Harris Garrard Academy . This role is likely to suit an individual looking to develop in a school environment with attendance related experience.Main Areas of Responsibility
Your responsibilities will include:
Qualifications & Experience
- Assisting ALG in the Management and Development of attendance and punctuality policies
- Daily monitoring and follow-up of attendance and punctuality
- Participating on late desk and follow up detentions to be issued for those students late to the Academy
- Texting parents/carers of students absent at agreed time and record reasons for absence if given
- Daily monitoring and early calls on the attendance of children in care or students on the vulnerable list as a priority
- Making home visits with the Academy welfare manager as required
- Sending letters to parents regarding attendance matters
- Ensuring the smooth operation of the computerised registration system
- Ensuring daily attendance information is entered accurately
- Establishing the reason for absences
- Preparing and distributing attendance and punctuality certificates
- Following up on poor attendance or punctuality
- Signing students in and out of the Academy outside normal start and finish times
- Liaising with the Educational Welfare Officer to ensure prompt, consistent and rigorous intervention with poor attendance
- Monitoring student attendance together with students' progress and performance in relation to targets set for each individual
- Dealing efficiently and effectively with referrals on attendance concern
- Alerting the appropriate staff to problems experienced by students and making recommendations as to how these may be resolved
- Communicating with the parents of students and with other external stakeholders concerned with the welfare of individual students
- Attending all appropriate meetings and organising fortnightly meetings with Faculty Directors to review faculty attendance figures and action taken
- As LAC mentor, meeting with LAC students weekly and passing on any relevant information regarding their welfare
The successful candidate will have:
- Qualifications to degree standard or equivalent
- Sound Knowledge of Microsoft software
- Knowledge of CMIS system for input and export of student attendance data
- Training on CMIS system in relation to attendance and report generation
- Knowledge of attendance policies and procedures
- Knowledge of the range of agencies that work with students and their families
- Basic knowledge of first aid; e.g. emergency first aid course
- Knowledge of a range of attendance codes and when they can be used
- Knowledge of many of the social issues facing students from disadvantaged backgrounds
- Three years' experience of working in an inner-city school or educational establishment
- Experience of working with Academy welfare officer
- Experience of meeting with parents/carers formally and informally
- Experience of managing attendance systems, this to include completing weekly, half termly and annual reports as requested in liaison with Assistant Principal
- Experience in a similar role
- Experience of working with young people, including those with challenging behaviour
The Harris Federation and all our academies are committed to ensuring the highest levels of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and we expect all our staff and volunteers to share in this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, references, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants.Before applying, please review our Policy Statement on the Recruitment of Ex-Offenders.
The Harris Federation is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates.As a provider of employment and education, we value the diversity of our staff and students, and all our staff are equally valued and respected. We are committed to providing a fair, equitable and mutually supportive learning and working environment for our students and staff.
Commitment to safeguarding
The Harris Federation and all our academies are committed to ensuring the highest levels of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people, and we expect all our staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check, references, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed.
This job post has expired.
About Harris Garrard Academy
- School type
- Academy, ages 4 to 18
- School size
- 1477 pupils enrolled
- Age range
- 4 to 18
Harris Garrard Academy is an all-through 3–18 academy with approximately 1350 pupils on roll and joined the Harris Federation as a sponsored academy in September 2017. The academy is based in Thamesmead in a purpose built building. We are now on a journey towards “Outstanding”, led by highly experienced executive principals with proven track records of school transformation. Our vision is clear: nothing is impossible and everything is possible, irrespective of personal characteristics or background. Every problem has a solution. We believe we are more robust, resilient and determined as a team than as a group of individuals. We support, challenge and hold each other to account at all levels within the academy to ensure that our students achieve their potential, are motivated, engaged and fully prepared for life beyond our academy.
Why work at Harris Garrard Academy?
The opportunity to be involved in the transformation of a school from the very start
A stunning working environment, in a purpose-built school designed by Norman Foster and nominated for the Stirling Prize for architecture in 2004
A highly motivated team, led by exceptionally experienced and talented senior leaders
All the advantages of a successful academy group, with a strong central team of support, teaching and leadership staff
Generous Harris rewards and benefits package
About Harris Garrard Academy
Harris Garrard Academy is a new school with drive and ambition. Located in the wider South Thamesmead area, we cater to a vastly vibrant 3-19 aged student community. Accessible by fantastic rail and bus transport links, the academy’s stunning working environment is within a purpose-built school designed by Norman Foster and nominated for the Stirling Prize for architecture in 2004.
Dedicated to moving forward
Our vision is clear: nothing is impossible and everything is possible, irrespective of personal characteristics or background. Every problem has a solution. We believe we are more robust, resilient and determined as a team than as a group of individuals. We support, challenge and hold each other to account at all levels within the academy to ensure that our students achieve their potential, are motivated, engaged and fully prepared for life beyond our academy.
As one of Harris’s successful all-through academies, staff at all levels belong to a strong, cohesive team working with Executive Principal Chris Everett and the wider SLT team. Staff can expect to grow with us as we continue to innovate and evolve as an academy. With ample opportunity to build on CPD, your potential is limitless with us.