Business Studies Teacher
Whitley Academy, Coventry, West Midlands
|Working pattern||Full-time only|
|Salary||Main pay range 1 to Upper pay range 3, £24,373 to £40,490|
We are seeking an inspirational and experienced Business Studies teacher from September 2020. You will be joining a well-resourced department with a relentless focus on raising attainment and recruiting successful students to KS5. Our Academy is on a rapid improvement journey. You will be joining a forward-thinking school that values the professional development and well-being of its staff.
To teach Business Studies across the age and ability ranges to ensure that individual students are challenged to achieve their full potential.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• To plan and prepare lessons and teaching materials.
• To teach a selection of Business Studies classes from KS4 and post 16.
• To ensure the needs of individual students are met.
• To maintain good order and discipline amongst students in line with the school Behaviour for Learning Policy, including duties and supervision outside the classroom.
• To contribute to the development, evaluation and improvement of Schemes of Work at KS4 and Post 16.
• To participate in CPD on curricular developments and help incorporate such developments into Schemes of Work.
• To contribute to the development, evaluation and maintenance of agreed working practices within the departments at all levels of teaching.
• To keep abreast of changes in the curriculum at all levels and to contribute ideas as to how these changes can best be implemented.
• To aid in the development of appropriate internal assessment materials at KS4 and Post 16.
• To assess accurately and record assessments of work carried out by students and to provide assessment data at the appropriate times (according to the whole school calendar).
• To take an active part in all CPD activities designed to standardise assessments.
• To report on students at appropriate times in line with school and curricular policies.
• To be a tutor, providing pastoral support, guidance and advice to a group of students. Keeping appropriate records and reporting on the personal and social needs and progress of the Students.
• Any other duties as requested by the Principal appropriate to this level.
Essential educational requirements
Qualified teacher status
• Good Degree with Business/ICT as main strand
• Experience of teaching Business at secondary level.
• Up to date knowledge of the Business Curriculum and Enterprise initiatives and an understanding of the importance of Business with respect to pupil development.
• Progression issues for pupils into KS3, from KS3 to KS4 and to post 16
• Strategies, including ICT applications to ensure effective learning in Business and Enterprise.
• Knowledge of assessment, recording and reporting of pupils' progress and achievements in Business and of assessment for learning.
• Knowledge of the school's role in providing for the individual needs of pupils, including those with special educational needs and more able students.
• An understanding of the importance of the teacher as a role model for young people.
• Knowledge of equal opportunities and anti-discriminatory practice in the context of the school community
Essential skills and experience
• The ability to work as a member of a team.
• The ability to handle potentially difficult situations sensitively.
• An appreciation of the importance of establishing and developing good professional working relationships with students, parents and where appropriate with Governors, the local community, partner schools and other external agencies.
• The ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in written form.
• Use of range of data to track individual pupils, set targets and monitor them and the ability to help other teachers’ access these skills. The ability to meet deadlines.
• The ability to teach Business Studies effectively.
• A willingness to contribute to subject, faculty and whole school developments.
• A commitment to put into effect the school's policies and objectives and to support its aims.
We will offer you;
- A positive and innovative learning culture, where wellbeing and workload are effectively managed,
- A dedicated, highly skilled and committed staff, upholding high expectations of and aspirations for all of our students,
- A strong sense of community and a warm, welcoming workplace,
- Access to the Lion Teaching School Alliance, which offers high quality training and leadership experiences for all staff, to ensure that everyone is enabled to develop, grow and collaborate,
- PiXL network access, developing new ideas and strategies to impact on student learning and
- A number of additional benefits including a fantastic internal CPD programme built into directed time - fostering excellence in teaching and learning, and a vibrant modern building and facilities in a beautiful location beside a nature reserve, within easy reach of the M40/M6 corridor.
Successful candidates should look forward to working in a challenging and inspiring environment within which there is ample opportunity to lay the foundations for career progression and leadership. We are committed to ensuring that every member of our school community is enabled to ‘be the best they can be’. This role is not suitable for NQTs.
|School size||886 pupils enrolled|
|Age range||11 to 18|
|Ofsted report||View Ofsted report|
|Website||Whitley Academy website (opens in a new window)|
About Whitley Academy
When staff, students and families walk through our gates and onto our site they belong to the Whitley Academy community. In our community, we are proud of our school and are committed to supporting all staff and students to be the best they can be.
Abbey Road, Coventry, West Midlands, CV3 4BD