A Cover Supervisor will provide supervision of classes across the curriculum in the event of the absence (planned or unplanned) of the teacher, ensuring that pupils are engaged in pre-set work, managing pupil behaviour and ensuring a safe environment.
1. In the absence of a teacher, to be solely responsible for a class of students, ensuring they are engaged in learning activity that has been set by a teacher.
2. To effectively manage instances of poor behaviour and any other immediate issues or emergencies that arise in accordance with school policy
3. To support students to engage with the work provided, including providing support where necessary with literacy, numeracy and organisational skills.
4. To liaise with teachers / other relevant staff with regard to work set for a class, and ensure you are suitably equipped and informed to be able to effectively supervise the assigned lesson.
5. To feedback to the class teacher on pupil engagement in the set work and also on any issues that may have arisen during the covered lesson(s).
6. To help prepare, monitor and maintain a safe and secure learning environment in line with the teacher’s lesson plans.
7. To support the maintenance of an activity bank, contributing general activities as appropriate, and drawing upon this in the event that pupils complete the pre-set work more quickly than expected, in order to ensure that pupils are engaged in constructive activity.
8. To contribute to the development and review of relevant policies (e.g. Behaviour Management).
9. To undertake pupil registration of a class, as required.
10. To promote positive behaviour and relationships, using effective strategies in a timely manner in accordance with school policy.
11. To develop positive relationships with colleagues, providing consistent and effective support and working constructively as a member of the school staff team.
12. To assist with the organisation of cover for absent colleagues (teachers or support staff), for both planned and unplanned absences. You may be asked to cover across a range of year groups.
13. To assist in the creation and maintenance of curriculum resources, and creation of visual displays in order to ensure a relevant physical learning environment.
14. To undertake administrative duties relevant to the role.
15. To invigilate internal and external tests and examinations under formal conditions.
16. When not required to undertake any responsibility falling within the above, Cover Supervisors may be directed to provide additional support in the school, in accordance with the duties of other similar or lower graded jobs for which they are suitably skilled / qualified.
17. To undertake any other duties as may reasonably be directed by the Principal.