Do you have classroom cover experience? Support our students as Cover Supervisor at Harris Academy Falconwood ! We are looking to appoint a resourceful Cover Supervisor to work within the agreed parameters of classroom cover in the absence of teachers. This role will likely suit someone with previous experience in a similar role, providing cover within an educational establishment.
Main Areas of Responsibility
- To supervise lessons for absent teachers.
- To allocate, explain and oversee cover work set.
- To report to the relevant Cover Manager any deficiencies with cover work set to include quality or appropriateness of cover.
- To offer general assistance to students in completing cover work in class.
- To follow the academy's in class behaviour management and referral systems.
- To organize the days lessons efficiently in advance so that they run as smoothly as possible.
- When not engaged in carrying out cover, to undertake administrative or student support duties at the direction of the line manager or the relevant Vice Principal.
- Occasional supervision of post-16 students in their study base.
- To take registers in all lessons and promptly report any in lesson absences.
- To liaise directly with teachers to ensure cover lessons are delivered to a high quality.
- Under the direction of the academy Leadership Group, undertake such other tasks that may be required to further the efficient running of the academy, commensurate with the level of the post holder;
- To participate in academy trips/visits when requested;
- To support in main office administration whenever required;
- To be responsible for own professional development, identifying training needs as appropriate.
Qualifications & Experience
Qualifications, Knowledge & Training
- Educated to A Level standard or equivalent
- Knowledge of strategies to recognise and reward efforts and achievements towards self-reliance that are appropriate to the age and development stage of the students
- Basic knowledge of SEN and other learning barriers
- To be well organized and possess strong time management skills
- To have relevant experience in successfully supervising groups of children aged 11-16
- To have worked previously in a school or comparable large organisation
- Understanding of a secondary school environment
Personal Skills & Qualities
- Ability to provide classroom cover – within agreed parameters – in the absence of the class teacher
- Ability to consistently and effectively implement agreed behaviour management strategies
- Ability to use language and other communication skills that students can understand and relate to
- Ability to establish positive relationships with students and empathise with their needs
- Ability to demonstrate active listening skills
- Ability to provide levels of individual attention, reassurance and help with learning tasks as appropriate to students' needs, encouraging the students to stay on task
- Ability to monitor the students' response to the learning activities and, where appropriate, modify/adapt activities agreed with the teacher to achieve the intended learning outcomes
- Ability to carry out/report on observations of students' knowledge
- Commitment to own personal and professional development.
- Awareness of safeguarding systems and issues which might arise
Professional Development & Benefits
Our people are at the heart of our success. We have developed a strong culture of collaboration and best practice, with professional development and career planning at its centre. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of top-quality training programmes delivered at every level to senior leadership.We look for talented individuals who share our vision for creating exceptional places of learning, and are committed to ensuring that every child in London has access to the best possible education.In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes our Harris Allowance, a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme, a Wellbeing Cash Plan and many other benefits.
The Harris Federation and all our academies are committed to ensuring the highest levels of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and we expect all our staff and volunteers to share in this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, references, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants.Before applying, please review our Policy Statement on the Recruitment of Ex-Offenders.
The Harris Federation is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates.As a provider of employment and education, we value the diversity of our staff and students, and all our staff are equally valued and respected. We are committed to providing a fair, equitable and mutually supportive learning and working environment for our students and staff.
All applications should be made via our website using the online application link.
If you have any questions about this opportunity, please contact us via e-mail, or call to arrange a conversation.
Before applying, please download the Job Pack for full details on the job responsibilities and person specification. You will need this when completing your application.
Please note: we may hold interviews as and when applications are received and we reserve the right to offer to a candidate prior to the closing date. We only accept applications submitted online via our careers website and which are completed before the closing deadline. With this in mind, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible and advise you check the job information as per the listing on our careers site.