- No, visa sponsorship not available
Full-time equivalent salary
- Grade 4 (Outer London): £23,400-£25,128 FTE
Performance and Loyalty Bonus + Pension Scheme (LGPS) + Harris Wellbeing Cash Plan + Additional Harris Benefits
Cover Supervisor job summary
Do you have classroom cover experience? Support our students as Cover Supervisor at Harris Academy Ockendon ! We are looking to appoint a resourceful Cover Supervisor to work within the agreed parameters of classroom cover in the absence of teachers. This role will likely suit someone with previous experience in a similar role, providing cover within an educational establishment.
Main Areas of Responsibility
- To supervise lessons for absent teachers.
- To allocate, explain and oversee cover work set.
- To report to the relevant Cover Manager any deficiencies with cover work set to include quality or appropriateness of cover.
- To offer general assistance to students in completing cover work in class.
- To follow the academy's in class behaviour management and referral systems.
- To organize the days lessons efficiently in advance so that they run as smoothly as possible.
- When not engaged in carrying out cover, to undertake administrative or student support duties at the direction of the line manager or the relevant Vice Principal.
- Occasional supervision of post-16 students in their study base.
- To take registers in all lessons and promptly report any in lesson absences.
- To liaise directly with teachers to ensure cover lessons are delivered to a high quality.
- Under the direction of the academy Leadership Group, undertake such other tasks that may be required to further the efficient running of the academy, commensurate with the level of the post holder;
- To participate in academy trips/visits when requested;
- To support in main office administration whenever required;
- To be responsible for own professional development, identifying training needs as appropriate.
Qualifications & Experience
Qualifications, Knowledge & Training
- Educated to A Level standard or equivalent
- Knowledge of strategies to recognise and reward efforts and achievements towards self-reliance that are appropriate to the age and development stage of the students
- Basic knowledge of SEN and other learning barriers
- To be well organized and possess strong time management skills
- To have relevant experience in successfully supervising groups of children aged 11-16
- To have worked previously in a school or comparable large organisation
- Understanding of a secondary school environment
Personal Skills & Qualities
- Ability to provide classroom cover – within agreed parameters – in the absence of the class teacher
- Ability to consistently and effectively implement agreed behaviour management strategies
- Ability to use language and other communication skills that students can understand and relate to
- Ability to establish positive relationships with students and empathise with their needs
- Ability to demonstrate active listening skills
- Ability to provide levels of individual attention, reassurance and help with learning tasks as appropriate to students' needs, encouraging the students to stay on task
- Ability to monitor the students' response to the learning activities and, where appropriate, modify/adapt activities agreed with the teacher to achieve the intended learning outcomes
- Ability to carry out/report on observations of students' knowledge
- Commitment to own personal and professional development.
- Awareness of safeguarding systems and issues which might arise
Professional Development & Benefits
Our people are at the heart of our success. We have developed a strong culture of collaboration and best practice, with professional development and career planning at its centre. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of top-quality training programmes delivered at every level to senior leadership.We look for talented individuals who share our vision for creating exceptional places of learning, and are committed to ensuring that every child in London has access to the best possible education.In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes our Harris Allowance, a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme, a Wellbeing Cash Plan and many other benefits.
The Harris Federation and all our academies are committed to ensuring the highest levels of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and we expect all our staff and volunteers to share in this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, references, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants.Before applying, please review our Policy Statement on the Recruitment of Ex-Offenders.
The Harris Federation is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates.As a provider of employment and education, we value the diversity of our staff and students, and all our staff are equally valued and respected. We are committed to providing a fair, equitable and mutually supportive learning and working environment for our students and staff.
Commitment to safeguarding
The Harris Federation and all our academies are committed to ensuring the highest levels of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people, and we expect all our staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check, references, an online search, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed.
This job post has expired.
About Harris Academy Ockendon
- School type
- Academy, ages 11 to 18
- School size
- 1438 pupils enrolled
- Age range
- 11 to 18
“I am passionate about three things:
Leading staff to become happy, successful, highly trained professionals who stay in the game and don’t burn out or lose their way.
Creating a fulfilling secondary experience for students where they can grow to become well-rounded, ambitious and successful young adults ready to put a ding in the universe.
My life outside work.
Being great at number 1 and number 2 should not mean we can’t do number 3!”
- George McMillan, Executive Principal and National Leader of Education.
We are an 11-18 academy with a thriving Sixth Form and a lovely building. ; It is a school where we are as passionate about developing our staff as we are about developing our students.
Our location just outside the M25 means we attract staff not only from Essex but from London. Indeed, over half our staff live in Kent/Surrey/South East and Central London. Some of our team even travel from West London because they like the school so much.
Our role here is to help students and staff dream bigger than they ever thought possible, and to make that dream come true through our culture of “work hard, be kind, take responsibility” which beats at the heart of our school.
We are a lovely secondary school where the students say, “Good Morning”, and actually mean it. Check out our school via our video https://tinyurl.com/HAOC-Video
The Executive Principal is George McMillan. Originally from Glasgow, he graduated from the University of Aberdeen with an MA(hons) degree in English Literature and a burning desire to teach. After teaching in Edinburgh, then moving to senior management in Chafford (Essex), George took over Harris Academy Greenwich in 2011 and led its transformation to hitting the top 15% of schools in the country for progress 7 years in a row. Harris Greenwich is one of only a handful of schools in London to retain its Outstanding status (2014 then 2022) under the new Ofsted framework, and the World Class School status twice in a row.
The Principal is Ms Jo Rainey. Originally from Belfast, she graduated from the University of Ulster with a first class degree in History and Geography. Over the past 21 years, she has taught history and led in schools across London and Essex with most of her senior leadership career being spent in Hackney. Jo has been Principal at Ockendon since 2018. She is highly respected for her strong sense of integrity, her passion for student life chances, and loyalty to the school.
The Harris Federation is a highly successful group of schools who serve many of the most deprived areas of London and Essex. We are collaborative, enterprising and share a passion for turning lives around, yet each school is autonomous and free to set its own vision and strategy for how it does that.
Each Harris school feels completely different in terms of culture and ethos. Perhaps this is the school you’ve been looking for.