- Key stage 3, Key stage 4
Full-time equivalent salary
- Grade 4 (Inner London): £24,705-£26,535 FTE
Performance and Loyalty Bonus + Pension Scheme (LGPS) + Harris Wellbeing Cash Plan + Additional Harris Benefits
Cover Supervisor job summary
Do you have classroom cover experience? Support our students as Cover Supervisor at Harris Science Academy East London ! We are looking to appoint a resourceful Cover Supervisor to work within the agreed parameters of classroom cover in the absence of teachers. This role will likely suit someone with previous experience in a similar role, providing cover within an educational establishment.Main Areas of Responsibility
- To supervise lessons for absent teachers.
- To allocate, explain and oversee cover work set.
- To report to the relevant Cover Manager any deficiencies with cover work set to include quality or appropriateness of cover.
- To offer general assistance to students in completing cover work in class.
- To follow the academy's in class behaviour management and referral systems.
- To organize the days lessons efficiently in advance so that they run as smoothly as possible.
- When not engaged in carrying out cover, to undertake administrative or student support duties at the direction of the line manager or the relevant Vice Principal.
- Occasional supervision of post-16 students in their study base.
- To take registers in all lessons and promptly report any in lesson absences.
- To liaise directly with teachers to ensure cover lessons are delivered to a high quality.
Qualifications & Experience
- Under the direction of the academy Leadership Group, undertake such other tasks that may be required to further the efficient running of the academy, commensurate with the level of the post holder;
- To participate in academy trips/visits when requested;
- To support in main office administration whenever required;
- To be responsible for own professional development, identifying training needs as appropriate.
Qualifications, Knowledge & Training
- Educated to A Level standard or equivalent
- Knowledge of strategies to recognise and reward efforts and achievements towards self-reliance that are appropriate to the age and development stage of the students
- Basic knowledge of SEN and other learning barriers
- To be well organized and possess strong time management skills
- To have relevant experience in successfully supervising groups of children aged 11-16
- To have worked previously in a school or comparable large organisation
- Understanding of a secondary school environment
Personal Skills & Qualities
- Ability to provide classroom cover – within agreed parameters – in the absence of the class teacher
- Ability to consistently and effectively implement agreed behaviour management strategies
- Ability to use language and other communication skills that students can understand and relate to
- Ability to establish positive relationships with students and empathise with their needs
- Ability to demonstrate active listening skills
- Ability to provide levels of individual attention, reassurance and help with learning tasks as appropriate to students' needs, encouraging the students to stay on task
- Ability to monitor the students' response to the learning activities and, where appropriate, modify/adapt activities agreed with the teacher to achieve the intended learning outcomes
- Ability to carry out/report on observations of students' knowledge
- Commitment to own personal and professional development.
- Awareness of safeguarding systems and issues which might arise
Professional Development & Benefits
Our people are at the heart of our success. We have developed a strong culture of collaboration and best practice, with professional development and career planning at its centre. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of top-quality training programmes delivered at every level to senior leadership.We look for talented individuals who share our vision for creating exceptional places of learning, and are committed to ensuring that every child in London has access to the best possible education.In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes our Harris Allowance, a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme, a Wellbeing Cash Plan and many other benefits.
The Harris Federation and all our academies are committed to ensuring the highest levels of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and we expect all our staff and volunteers to share in this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, references, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants.Before applying, please review our Policy Statement on the Recruitment of Ex-Offenders.
The Harris Federation is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates.As a provider of employment and education, we value the diversity of our staff and students, and all our staff are equally valued and respected. We are committed to providing a fair, equitable and mutually supportive learning and working environment for our students and staff.
Applying for the job
If you have any questions about this opportunity, please contact us via e-mail, or call to arrange a conversation.
Before applying, please download the Job Pack for full details on the job responsibilities and person specification. You will need this when completing your application.
Please note: we may hold interviews as and when applications are received and we reserve the right to offer to a candidate prior to the closing date. We only accept applications submitted online via our careers website and which are completed before the closing deadline. With this in mind, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible and advise you check the job information as per the listing on our careers site.More on how to apply (opens in a new tab)
About Harris Science Academy East London
- School type
- Free School, ages 11 to 18
- School size
- Up to 1000 pupils
- Age range
- 11 to 18
We are a co-educational secondary academy and Sixth Form with a mission to provide children in this part of East London with a truly world-class education.
Our curriculum is stimulating and challenging and our teachers are, across the board, experts in their subjects. Our approach to pastoral care means every student feels safe and can learn, and our timetable is packed with trips, talks, clubs, and activities that make the most of our location close to the centre of London. Since September 2022, we have been part of the Harris Federation, a high-performing group of 52 primary and secondary academies in and around London.
Our aim is to produce confident, ambitious and successful pupils who are able to pursue their goals. We abide by the following principles in order to make this vision a reality:
All children deserve the best education possible
Education is about more than achieving good grades. Our aim is to show pupils that ideas have the power to shape the world we live in. We want to instil a love of learning that lasts a lifetime.
A ‘well educated' pupil must have a good science education
A science education, grounded in the disciplines of mathematics, physics, chemistry and biology, is fundamental to understanding the world we live in.
Good teaching is the best way to open a child's mind
We expect all our teachers to intellectually challenge our pupils and utilise their extensive knowledge to deliver exceptional lessons.
The best pupils are open to questioning their own thought
A true measure of a critical thinker is his or her ability to accept criticism. Through knowledge of the beliefs of others, our pupils will be encouraged to develop a stronger sense of their own beliefs.
Pupils should be encouraged to strive to improve and develop new skills
We will foster our pupils' talents in the arts, sports and debate to create a space for all our pupils to thrive. Our teachers hold our pupils to high expectations, and we expect our pupils to hold themselves to the same standards.
We will provide our students with relevant skills to enable them to succeed in the modern workplace
Our technical education will open doors for pupils, by providing them with knowledge and skills necessary for them to achieve successful careers.