Deputy Curriculum Leader English
Whitley Academy, Coventry, West Midlands
|Working pattern||Full-time only|
|Salary||Main pay range 1 to Upper pay range 3, £24,373 to £40,490|
When staff, students and families walk through our gates and onto our site, they belong to the Whitley Academy Community. In this community, we build meaningful relationships based on trust and mutual respect. Our classrooms, corridors and the school environment are safe spaces where nobody is judged and everyone is valued. In our community, we are proud of our school and committed to supporting all staff and students to “be the best you can be”.
We are seeking an inspirational and experienced English Teacher ready to take on the challenge of being a deputy curriculum leader to join our well-established and innovative English team from Easter 2020. You will be joining a well-resourced department with a relentless focus on raising attainment and recruiting successful students to KS5 English and iMedia courses in our Post 16 provision. You will be an effective team leader, whose input will contribute to the further development of the current supportive and enthusiastic team of practitioners. Our Academy is on a rapid improvement journey. You will be joining a forward-thinking school that values the professional development and well-being of its staff.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone to begin or further their leadership journey. You will join a forward-thinking school that values the professional development and well-being of its staff.
The successful candidate must be:
- Able to teach English to at least KS4 and potentially KS5,
- Values driven,
- Ambitious for every child and highly inclusive,
- Passionate about English and its impact on learning, with the ability to motivate pupils and achieve excellent results.
- Values driven
- Committed to making a difference to the lives of pupils,
- Resilient with a strong personal drive,
- Someone who has high expectations of both students and their colleagues, and
- Someone who can forge positive relationships with students to encourage great learning.
Successful candidates should look forward to working in a challenging and inspiring environment within which there is ample opportunity to lay the foundations for career progression and leadership. We are committed to ensuring that every member of our school community is enabled to ‘be the best they can be’.
Informal visits are welcomed. To find out more about our school please visit our website at www.whitleyacademy.com.
We hope that after considering all the information provided, you will decide to make an application. A reminder that the closing date is 5th February at 9:00am. Candidates who submit an application form before the closing date, may be invited for interview early, therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible.. Whatever the outcome of your application we thank you for the interest you have shown and wish you well for your future career. Completed applications should be returned to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Essential educational requirements
Good Degree in English
Qualified Teacher Status
Essential skills and experience
• Recent substantial teaching experience with secondary aged pupils in English and Literacy.
• Evidence of involvement in the development of the English and English Literacy curriculum in Secondary School.
• Recent experience of a leadership responsibility within a department or pastoral team or potential capacity to lead
• Significant personal examination success
• The ability to work as a member of a team.
• The ability to handle potentially difficult situations sensitively.
• An appreciation of the importance of establishing and developing good professional working relationships with students, parents and where appropriate with Governors, the local community, partner schools and other external agencies.
- A positive and innovative learning culture, where wellbeing and workload are effectively managed,
- A dedicated, highly skilled and committed staff, upholding high expectations of and aspirations for all of our students,
- A strong sense of community and a warm, welcoming workplace,
- Access to high quality training and leadership experiences for all staff, to ensure that everyone is enabled to develop, grow and collaborate,
- PiXL network access, developing new ideas and strategies to impact on student learning and
- A number of additional benefits including a fantastic internal CPD programme built into directed time - fostering excellence in teaching and learning, and a vibrant modern building and facilities in a beautiful location beside a nature reserve, within easy reach of the M40/M6 corridor.
|School size||897 pupils enrolled|
|Age range||11 to 18|
|Ofsted report||View Ofsted report|
|School website||Whitley Academy website (opens in a new window)|
About Whitley Academy
Abbey Road, Coventry, West Midlands, CV3 4BD