Deputy Curriculum Leader Science
When staff, students and families walk through our gates and onto our site, they belong to the Whitley Academy Community. In this community, we build meaningful relationships based on trust and mutual respect. Our classrooms, corridors and the school environment are safe spaces where nobody is judged and everyone is valued. In our community, we are proud of our school and committed to supporting all staff and students to “be the best you can be”.
For an Easter 2020 start, we are seeking a well-qualified, suitably experienced and enthusiastic teacher to develop their middle leadership skills and to work with the Science and Opening Minds teams to achieve excellent outcomes for students. You will have strong subject knowledge and a proven track record of exemplary classroom practice together with the ability to be responsible for the leadership of Key Stage Three Science delivered by a large team of teachers. You will be joining a well-resourced team with a relentless focus on developing an effective academic curriculum and raising attainment at all key stages. The Science department successfully recruits a significant number of Year 11 students to A level courses in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and BTEC Applied Science. This is an exciting opportunity for someone to begin or further their leadership journey. You will join a forward-thinking school that values the professional development and well-being of its staff. Applications are welcome from all science specialisms.
The successful candidate must be:
- Able to teach Science to at least KS4 (triple and trilogy) and be able to contribute to KS5 delivery in one Science,
- Passionate about Science and its impact on learning, with the ability to motivate pupils and achieve excellent results,
- Able to lead Science and Opening Minds Teachers to ensure KS3 provides a strong and engaging foundation for future learning in Science.
- Values driven
- Ambitious for every child and highly inclusive
- Passionate about contributing to the development of Teaching & Learning in the Science team,
- Committed to making a difference to the lives of pupils,
- Resilient with a strong personal drive,
- Someone who has high expectations of both students and their colleagues, and
- Someone who can forge positive relationships with students to encourage great learning.
Essential educational requirements
Good Degree in Science
Qualified Teacher Status
Essential skills and experience
• Experience of teaching Science at secondary level.
• Recent experience of a leadership responsibility within a department or pastoral team or potential capacity to lead (A)
• Evidence of involvement in the development of Science curriculum in Secondary School (A)
• Significant personal examination success (A)
- A positive and innovative learning culture, where wellbeing and workload are effectively managed,
- A dedicated, highly skilled and committed staff, upholding high expectations of and aspirations for all of our students,
- A strong sense of community and a warm, welcoming workplace,
- Access to high quality training and leadership experiences for all staff, to ensure that everyone is enabled to develop, grow and collaborate,
- PiXL network access, developing new ideas and strategies to impact on student learning and
- A number of additional benefits including a fantastic internal CPD programme built into directed time - fostering excellence in teaching and learning, and a vibrant modern building and facilities in a beautiful location beside a nature reserve, within easy reach of the M40/M6 corridor.
About Whitley Academy
When staff, students and families walk through our gates and onto our site they belong to the Whitley Academy community. In our community, we are proud of our school and are committed to supporting all staff and students to be the best they can be.
- Abbey Road, Coventry, West Midlands, CV3 4BD
- Whitley Academy website (opens in a new window)