• To deputise for the Director of Faculty in her or his absence;
• To implement the policies, which the Governors of the school have endorsed.
• To assist the Director of Faculty in the leadership and management of the Faculty;
• To play a full and active part in promoting the Catholic ethos of the school and to encourage staff and students to follow this example.
• To accept responsibility for aspects of the Faculty’s work, in negotiation with the Director of Faculty and the Headteacher which may include:
• Being responsible for Faculty planning, co-ordination, the development of schemes of work and programmes of study and take part in standardisation procedures;
• To ensure that schemes of work facilitate the national curriculum and contribute to the development of students’ key skills including literacy, numeracy, ICT and contain homework tasks and resources for all groups of students.
• Assist the Director of Faculty in their role of judging standards, monitoring the quality of teaching and learning and leading sustainable improvement.
• Take a major responsibility regarding the formulation of teaching groups;
• Ensure that internal assessment materials for the subject are available when required and to have available appropriate marks schemes for members of the Faculty
Leading Teaching and Learning
• To undertake training and to deliver CPD as necessary
• Liaise with staff to promote the department
• To share and promote best practice amongst staff
Leading School Ethos and Culture
• Promote the school’s ethos and culture to the broader community
Developing self and working with others
• Treat pupils, staff and parents fairly, equitably and with dignity and respect to create and maintain a positive school culture
• Celebrate the achievements of individuals, particularly disadvantaged learners
We are a good oversubscribed school (OFSTED 2022) located in Stockport, South of Manchester. Our school is made up of 825 students and 100 staff. St James’ Catholic High School is a thriving Catholic community that places children at the centre of everything we do. The Diocese of Shrewsbury judged our school to be an “Outstanding” Catholic school.
St James’ is a highly academic performing school:
• Impressive positive progress 8 scores for the previous three years
• In 2023, 75% of students achieved at least a grade 4 in English & Maths while 54% of students achieved a grade 5 in these subjects
• 40 grade 9s and 101 grade 8s in 2023 demonstrating exceptional attainment across a wide range of subjects
• Exceptional results in open, Maths and English subjects placing us in the top 20% of similar schools nationally
Our school is at the cutting edge of teaching and learning and thrives on providing outstanding opportunities for the young people we serve. All our staff work to provide our young people with the skills, knowledge and understanding in order to achieve their full potential.
Inspired by the example of St James, the purpose of our school is ‘To educate and develop global Catholic citizens’.
Our three school values of Family, Faith and Excellence are lived out every single day by staff, students and all stakeholders.
The reputation of our school is exceptional within Stockport and across the Shrewsbury Diocese for academic excellence, impeccable pupil conduct and for providing outstanding additional opportunities for our young people. The result is that our young people develop into global Catholic citizens who are proud to profess their faith and who make a positive contribution to society.
St James’ Catholic High School is an equal opportunity employer which is “Positive about Disabled People”. Whilst all applicants will be judged on merit alone, we particularly welcome applications from groups currently under-represented in the workforce, who meet the person specification for the post
St James’ Catholic High School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure & Barring Service.
This job post has expired.