Director of English
8 days remaining to apply
Start date details
30 March 2023 at 11:59pm
15 March 2023
- Key stage 3, Key stage 4, Key stage 5
- View all Englishjobs
- View all Full timejobs - Directed
- Leadership Scale (Inner London)
Performance and Loyalty Bonus + Harris Wellbeing Cash Plan + Pension Scheme (TPS) + Additional Harris Benefits
What skills and experience we're looking for
We are currently looking to appoint a qualified, experienced teacher to join Harris Academy Merton as Director of English.
Knowledge & Training:
- Qualified Teacher.
- Teaching experience is essential.
- Understanding of theory and practice of effective teaching and learning.
- Knowledgeof National curriculum requirementsat KS3, KS4 and KS5.
- Understanding of the importance of having high expectations for all students, both of behaviour and academic achievement.
- Understanding of inclusive provision and practices, which offer equality of access to the curriculum for all students, including special educational needs, English as an additional language and high achievers.
- Knowledge and experienceof writing lesson plans, developing resources and assessing students work.
- Understanding the importance of being a Tutor.
Skills & Abilities:
- The ability to work as part of a team and to develop and maintain positive relationships with teaching and other support staff.
- Good level of ICT skills.
- The ability to create a motivating and safe learning environment for all students.
- The ability to communicate positively with parents/carers and where appropriate outside agencies in a way that facilitates effective links between home and school.
- Good communicationskills bothwriting and speaking.
- Ability to lead and manage own work effectively and take responsibility for own professional development.
- Ability to carry out the job description.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritise and meet deadlines under pressure.
- Ability to motivate students and raise their aspirations through a range of strategies e.g. assessment for learning.
What the school offers its staff
At Harris Academy Merton we promote the ethos ‘'Achievement is Success'' and believe every student has the right to the highest standard of education so that they can accomplish their aspirations. Our aim is to give every student an educational experience that is enjoyable and holistic so that they develop into responsible, articulate and successful young people.
We combine the traditional values of strong discipline, good manners, respect and pride in appearance with contemporary best practice in teaching and technology. With these core values embedded, we develop our students into confident and capable individuals that have a desire to excel academically and personally now and in the future.
Our people are at the heart of our success. We have developed a strong culture of collaboration and best practice, with professional development and career planning at its centre. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of top-quality training programmes delivered at every level to senior leadership.We look for talented individuals who share our vision for creating exceptional places of learning, and are committed to ensuring that every child in London has access to the best possible education.In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes our Harris Allowance for teachers on MPS/UPS, a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme, electric car scheme, a Wellbeing Cash Plan and many other benefits.
Further details about the role
- To lead on rigorous self-evaluation and review of subject area performance
- To formulate, in conjunction with the subject team, an annual subject improvement plan
- To lead on the development of appropriate syllabuses, resources, schemes of work, marking and assessment policies and teaching and learning strategies
- To contribute to the formulation of and subsequently the monitoring evaluation and review of the faculty improvement plan.
- To use information from personal learning plans and assessment data to formulate a raising achievement plan for tutors across the subject area.
- To foster and oversee the application of Literacy and ICT in the subject area.
- To ensure that Health and Safety policies and practices, including risk assessments, throughout the subject area are in-line with national requirements.
- To develop schemes of work for whole school for the Science and Enterprise specialism strategy sometimes with other curriculum areas.
- To use the specialism materials available to develop a comprehensive assessment methodology for CORE learning which tracks pupil progress and skill development in a scientific and enterprising manner
Commitment to safeguarding
Applying for the job
Apply for the job by following the link belowMore on how to apply (opens in new tab)
About Harris Academy Merton
- School type
- Academy, ages 11 to 18
- Education phase
- View all Secondaryjobs
- School size
- 1388 pupils enrolled
- Age range
- 11 to 18
- Ofsted report
- View Ofsted report (opens in new tab)
- School website
- Harris Academy Merton website (opens in new tab)
- Email address
- Phone number
- 0208 623 1000
About Harris Academy Merton Harris Academy Merton serves students from Year 7 to Sixth Form, and has twice been judged Outstanding by Ofsted. The current student roll is 1200, with a planned increase in our Year 7 intake over the next two years taking our numbers from 180 to 240 students. Applications for places greatly exceed the places available. The academy is set in seven acres of land, containing five teaching blocks, a sports hall, a full size floodlit all weather pitch plus four full size floodlit tennis courts and our own playing fields as well as an administration building containing the assembly hall and dining hall. We are favourably located for public transport with good local access to bus, mainline train and underground links, as well as on-site parking for vehicles and bicycles. Come and see us in action: visits to Harris Academy Merton are strongly encouraged and very welcome. Please call 0208 623 1000 or email@example.com to arrange a time to come in or an informal conversation with the Principal.
Similar jobs nearby
English Teacher with KS3 Coordinator Responsibility
Ark Bolingbroke Academy
Wakehurst Road, London, SW11 6BF
Avanti House School
Wemborough Road, Stanmore, Middlesex, HA7 2EQ
Rivers Academy West London
Tachbrook Road, Feltham, Middlesex, TW14 9PE
Head of Learning Area (HOLA) - English
Mossbourne Victoria Park Academy
Victoria Park Road, London, E9 7HD
Get a job alert when similar jobs are listed
Find more school jobs in Surrey