Will consider full-time, part-time
• To ensure strong accounting and financial reporting, including compliance with statutory requirements and upholding the highest standards of financial probity.
• To oversee and monitor effective financial controls and processes.
• To support the Headmaster and Bursar in ensuring the financial sustainability of the school.
Key duties: FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
• Maintain an overview of the short-term and long-term financial position and any financial issues within the school.
• Manage and prepare monthly management accounts and reports including income & expenditure account, variance analysis and commentaries, cash flows and balance sheet.
• Prepare the annual budget and 3 Year Financial Plan and present for approval.
• Ensure balance sheet items are managed and monitored, including reviewing and checking monthly reconciliations for all key balances and control accounts.
• Monitor the school’s income streams, including additional grants or funding, and prepare reports and monitoring returns as necessary.
• Prepare and submit accurate and timely information for the annual statutory accounts and financial returns.
• Ensure financial regulatory and compliance, as specified in school policies, and the annual Academies Financial Handbook and Academies Accounts Direction.
• Manage the annual internal scrutiny programme and year-end external audit.
• Attend the Finance and Risk Committees and present financial information as required.
• Develop and implement best accounting practices and processes, and train and guide new and existing finance colleagues accordingly.
• Liaise closely with other support services functions (eg. HR) to manage financial issues and foster a culture of continual improvement to the systems, processes and procedures to ensure timeliness, accuracy and relevance of financial management information provided.
• Manage the schools financial reporting systems (eg. management accounts/forecasts) and review/develop the school’s financial systems and software
Key duties: INFORMATION MANAGEMENT
• Good understanding of relevant financial systems; previous experience of SIMS Financial Management System (FMS) an advantage.
• Maintenance of a wide range of documents on Word and Excel.
• Occasional use of the school’s management information system (SIMS); maintenance of accurate pupil records.
• Occasional distribution of information to parents via Edulink.
• Responsibility for updating financial information on the school website.
Key duties: STAFF RELATIONSHIPS
• Liaison with the Bursar and Headmaster, working on other ad hoc projects as directed.
• Attendance at Governors’ Finance meetings as and when requested.
• Attendance at Leadership Group meetings as and when requested.
• Regular liaison with other members of the school’s finance team.
Applying for the job
Candidates should submit a completed application form, including details of key achievements and responsibilities, along with a covering letter which fully addresses the competencies outlined in the job description and person specification.
Completed applications should be emailed to the Headmaster’s Secretary, Mrs Wendy Dray at firstname.lastname@example.org