EAL Specialist Teaching Assistant Level 3 Brandling Primary School - Initially fixed term for 1 year
We would like the successful candidate to start as soon as possible and you will have:
Previous experience working with students as an EAL teaching assistant will be required, and the school are looking for a candidate that can hit the ground running. You will need to have the ability to build rapport with pupils, staff and parents in order to support all parties through any transitions. An additional language would be preferable but not essential.
As an EAL teaching assistant you will have the opportunity to work with KS1 and KS2 pupils, working with pupils both one to one and in small groups. Your role will be to support pupils in accessing the curriculum and ensuring that they are comfortable and able to engage in wide school life. Pupils and parents may need additional support and it will be your role to liaise with both to ensure that needs are met. You will be supported with delivering a tailored curriculum and implementing tried and tested strategies.
Overall Objectives of the Post:
To work with pupils, families and staff to support the successful integration of EAL students into Brandling Primary School. To be responsible for the achievement and progress of pupils for whom English is an additional language.
Key Tasks of the Post:
1. To provide English language teaching and support to meet the needs of children for whom English is an additional language. You will:
• Provide appropriate pastoral support to newly arrived EAL pupils and their families.
• Carry out initial assessments of English language levels and needs of EAL pupils.
• Assist in the planning and preparation of lessons attended by EAL pupils.
• Work with colleagues to develop appropriate resources.
• Work either within the classroom, within small groups or on a one-to-one basis with EAL pupils to provide language support specific to the curriculum.
• Develop pupils’ competence in English for both social and academic purposes
• Devise and implement teaching strategies that provide support and practice in talking, listening, reading and writing skills in English.
• Maintain records and provide reports of EAL pupils’ progress at the school in accordance with the school assessment policy.
• Advise on specific provision for underachieving children learning EAL.
• Support colleagues to develop their knowledge of the linguistic, cultural and religious backgrounds of children and their families and the social and political factors which affect their lives
2. You will also be required to:
• Attend relevant school meetings and undertake personal professional development.
• Carry out data collection, analysis and interpretation
• Liaise with the EAL Lead Teacher to complete action plans and targets linked to school improvement
Brandling Primary School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Successful applicants will be required to produce an Enhanced Certificate of Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service.
All employees have a responsibility to undertake training and development as required. They also have a responsibility to assist, where appropriate and necessary, with the training and development of fellow employees.
All employees have a responsibility of care for their own and others’ health and safety.
The above list is not exhaustive and other duties may be attached to the post from time to time. Variation may also occur to the duties and responsibilities without changing the general character of the post.
Essential educational requirements
An experienced teaching assistant who has a relevant qualification NVQ Level 3 (E) or a graduate with a teaching qualification from oversees with QTS (D)
Excellent command of the English language and literacy skills
Experience of working with EAL learners who may be beginner bilinguals and SEN pupils including pupils with severe physical and developmental needs e.g. ASD (D)
Essential skills and experience
We are looking for the following qualities in a successful candidate:
Relevant CPD (D)
A successful track record of supporting teaching and learning in a Primary School setting (D)
Good knowledge of teaching phonics (E)
A team player who is flexible and able to work under pressure, working under the direction of the immediate line manager and/or Inclusion leader (E)
Experience of record keeping and use of ICT to support this process (D)
Willing to attend CPD during and after the working day as required (E)
An excellent communicator who is able to act as an ambassador in supporting the development of positive and strong partnerships between the home and school in order to support pupil progress (E)
The ability to support planning & lead interventions, maintaining detailed tracking information to demonstrate impact/progress (E)
Brandling Primary school is an Outstanding school where everyone is supported to reach their full potential, enjoy their learning and develop the skills they need to be successful in their life. In May 2016 Ofsted judged us to be Outstanding in all areas. We have approximately 25% of children with English as an additional language and have over 12 languages at the school. We are very proud of the progress our EAL children make and of our reputation in the local community. In September 2018, we opened our new two classroom extension which has further improved the fantastic learning environment we offer at the school.
In return we can offer you:
• Well behaved children who are keen to learn and develop our school
• Friendly, supportive and talented colleagues who are motivated to develop our school and work well together
• An excellent CPD programme linked to your needs
• Supportive Governors who are keen to further improve our school
About Brandling Primary School
Brandling Primary school is an Outstanding one form entry 3- 11 years Primary school where everyone is supported to reach their full potential, enjoy their learning and develop the skills they need to be successful in their life. In May 2016 Ofsted judged us to be Outstanding in all areas. We are committed to working with and supporting other schools across the region and have been designated a lead phonic partnership school by the DFE. In September 2018 we opened our new two classroom extension which has further improved the fantastic learning environment we offer at the school.
- Mulberry Street, Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, NE10 0JB
- LA Maintained School
- Brandling Primary School website (opens in a new window)