Inspire and transform learning with us. Harris Academy Peckham is looking for an EAL Teaching Assistant to support individuals and groups of students to enable access to learning, contributing to the development and maintenance of a purposeful, nurturing learning environment.Main Areas of Responsibility
Your role will include:
Qualifications & Experience
- To supervise and provide particular support for identified students, in 1:1, group or whole class situations, ensuring their safety and access to learning.
- To assist in the development of appropriate resources, schemes of work and teaching strategies, working with the EAL Manager to ensure the provision supports each identified student's learning needs.
- To track the impact of EAL programmes on students identified with little or no English
- To monitor EAL student progress
- To assist in evaluating identified students' progress through agreed assessment activities.
- To provide detailed and regular feedback on students' achievement, progress and needs.
- To lead small group sessions and interventions as appropriate.
- To attend to the students' personal needs where required.
- To support with behaviour management, using appropriate strategies in line with academy policy.
- To contribute to creating a purposeful and supportive learning environment.
- Undertake structured and agreed learning activities/teaching programmes as appropriate, adjusting activities to ensure achievement of learning goals.
- To assist with the supervision of students out of lesson times, including playtimes and undertaking lunchtime duty.
- To establish good relationships with students, acting as a role model and being aware of and responding appropriately to individual needs.
- To promote the inclusion and acceptance of all students.
- To be aware of and support difference and ensure all students have equal access to opportunities to learn and develop.
- To support students with their learning and development in respect of local and national learning strategies e.g. literacy, numeracy, Key Stage and/or subject specific, as directed by the teacher.
- To encourage students to interact with others and engage in activities led by the teacher.
- To set challenging and demanding expectations, promoting self-esteem and independence.
- To prepare the classroom as directed for lessons and clear afterwards and assist with the display of students' work.
- To prepare and maintain equipment/resources as directed by the teacher and assist students in their use.
- To undertake student record keeping as requested.
- To establish and maintain positive relationships with parents/carers, gathering and reporting information as directed.
- To provide clerical/admin support as required e.g. photocopying, typing, filing.
- To ensure the effective/efficient deployment of resources as appropriate.
- To attend relevant meetings as required.
- To accompany teaching staff and students on visits, trips and off site activities as required.
- To contribute to the academy's Improvement Plan and its implementation.
- To contribute to the whole academy's planning activities
Qualifications, Knowledge & Training
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Some knowledge of strategies in working with young people with challenging behaviours
- Knowledge of some of the social issues facing students from disadvantaged backgrounds
- Awareness of Health and Safety issues in the workplace.
- Experience of working directly with young people in an education or training environment, supporting the learning of students.
- Experience of establishing and maintaining positive working relationships with a range of stakeholders, at all levels.
- Experience of managing and being responsible for own workload.
Personal Skills, Abilities & Qualities
Professional Development & Benefits
- Portuguese & Spanish language skills, Kurdish skills also desirable
- Good literacy and numeracy skills,
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, with an excellent standard of written and spoken English.
- Good administrative and organisational skills.
- Ability to interest, encourage, motivate and engage children
- Ability to work as part of a team; working effectively with people across a wide range of levels and responsibilities.
- Computer literate – must have good ICT skills including a working knowledge of MS packages e.g. Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel etc, as well as using and updating records and databases.
- Ability to work using own initiative, exercising good judgement where unsupervised.
- Flexibility of approach to work.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality; having tact and diplomacy where necessary.
Our people are at the heart of our success. We have developed a strong culture of collaboration and best practice, with professional development and career planning at its centre. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of top-quality training programmes delivered at every level to senior leadership.We look for talented individuals who share our vision for creating exceptional places of learning, and are committed to ensuring that every child in London has access to the best possible education.In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes our Harris Allowance, a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme, a Wellbeing Cash Plan and many other benefits.Safeguarding Notice
The Harris Federation and all our academies are committed to ensuring the highest levels of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and we expect all our staff and volunteers to share in this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, references, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants.Before applying, please review our Policy Statement on the Recruitment of Ex-Offenders.Equal Opportunities
The Harris Federation is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates.As a provider of employment and education, we value the diversity of our staff and students, and all our staff are equally valued and respected. We are committed to providing a fair, equitable and mutually supportive learning and working environment for our students and staff.
This job post has expired.