• Has excellent subject knowledge and communication skills
• Can contribute to the teaching of broad, balanced and stimulating courses across our full age and ability range, assessing, recording, reporting and applying intervention strategies as appropriate. Take an active part in curriculum and enrichment development in the department and the school
• Will be a committed Form Tutor, building a positive relationship with tutees and parents
• Ensure there is safe, stimulating and effective learning environment with good, quality displays and that all equipment is maintained in sound working order
• Will maintain all professional standards for teachers; uphold and implement all school policies
Essential educational requirements
Postgraduate qualification in subject area or combined education with first degree
QTS or QTLS
Essential skills and experience
• Ability to work under pressure and manage time effectively
• Demonstrate robustness and resilience
• Successful teaching outcomes (or teaching practice in the case of a newly qualified applicant)
• Willing to be responsible for your own professional development and to disseminate best practice to colleagues
• Inspiring teacher who is able to or has the potential to ‘make a difference’
• Proven willingness and capacity for hard work.
• A personality to merit the respect of students and to encourage their active involvement in the learning process, in and out of lessons.
• A good communicator being able to build successful relationships with all groups of students and staff.
• Competent in the use of ICT.
• Highly motivated, clear thinking and principled.
• Committed to equality of opportunity.
• Opportunities to develop in role and promotion for staff with the zest and desire to progress in their career.
• The opportunity to work with amazing young people and colleagues who are passionate about what they do.
• A happy school; relationships are very strong between staff and students.
• Strong ‘can do’ team ethos in departments and across the school.
• Higher non-contact ratio than most schools MPR staff teach 42 out of 50 lessons across a two week time-table; NQTs teach 38.
• Health, well-being and work-life balance are extremely important to us. All staff are part of a health insurance scheme, having access to a range of support from external providers and a free flu vaccination. We are always reviewing and seeking to add additional benefits for staff.
• A fabulous modern and light working environment on a spacious site with on-site parking and rail and bus links close by.
• You will be working alongside people who are at the forefront of educational development, nationally and internationally. We are proud to have been appointed as one of only twenty two Research Schools nationally.
• DMAT is the host School Centre for Initial Teacher Training (SCITT) which is another exciting addition to our Trust.
• We have a rich programme of CPD activities happening across the school that will allow you to engage at a level that suits you.
• We are keen to develop staff as leaders and there are a variety of programmes and opportunities to support this.
• We take a pragmatic approach to feedback / marking focussing on what is most useful and manageable.
• Written student reports are not lengthy sections of prose; they are grades.
• No graded lesson observations.
• Our NQT Induction Programme and Appraisal programme is based on professional growth and support.
• There will be opportunities as a result of being part of DMAT for staff to work with other schools.
About Durrington High School
Durrington High School is part of Durrington Multi Academy Trust (DMAT) and is a large and oversubscribed school with 1650 students on roll in years 7 to 11. Within the Durrington Multi Academy Trust, we place high regard on recruiting and retaining excellent staff to ensure all students achieve beyond their best. Durrington High School has a sustained track record of improvement for over a decade and we want to continue getting better. We are proud of our school and are always relentless in our efforts to give our students the very best education they deserve.
- The Boulevard, Worthing, West Sussex, BN13 1JX
- Durrington High School website (opens in a new window)