Inspire and transform learning at Harris Academy Greenwich. We are looking for a English Tutor and Library Supervisor to join our team. You will support individuals and small groups of students to enable access to learning, contributing to the development and maintenance of a purposeful, nurturing learning environment.
You will also join our reading team and contribute to our library, supervising our students and encouraging educational literacy initiatives!
We would like to hear from you if you have:
- Relevant qualifications that help demonstrate evidence at A Level or undergraduate degree (or equivalent) in English
- Excellent numeracy/literacy skills.
- Full working knowledge of relevant polices/codes of practice/legislation
- Working knowledge of national curriculum and other relevant learning programmes
- Understanding of principles of child development and learning processes and in particular, barriers to learning
- The ability to plan effective actions for students at risk of underachieving
- Understanding of the range of support services/providers
- The ability to self-evaluate learning needs and actively seek learning opportunities
- The ability to relate well to children and adults
For a full job description and person specification, please download the Job Pack.
In this corner of South East London we have a clear mission: to run a great school which offers every child, regardless of circumstance, the chance to thrive both personally and academically.
We make no apology for believing a key part to a happy and fulfilled life is a great set of exam results. They are the currency which students require to progress to next stage of their education. No amount of celebrity disapproval or stories of success against the odds will convince us otherwise. Results matter to our community.
We know that academic progress is critical to our students enjoying lives of choice and opportunity but that they also need to develop the content of their character and have a range of rich experiences which they will never forget. We want to help students have warm hearts and cool heads so that they are ready for the challenges of adolescence and ultimately adulthood. In short, we want our students to live well.
Our people are at the heart of our success. We have developed a strong culture of collaboration and best practice, with professional development and career planning at its centre. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of top-quality training programmes delivered at every level to senior leadership.We look for talented individuals who share our vision for creating exceptional places of learning, and are committed to ensuring that every child in London has access to the best possible education.In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes our Harris Allowance for teachers on MPS/UPS, a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme, electric car scheme, a Wellbeing Cash Plan and many other benefits.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Delivering programmes of study to small groups of students in 1:1 setting, giving them every opportunity to meet their targets
- Liaising with parents regarding the attendance, progress and attitude of designated students
- Maintaining records of students' progress
- Completing relevant marking and feedback
- Using the Academy's behaviour management strategies to contribute to creating a purposeful learning environment
- Highlighting individual students' learning needs to the class teacher
- Assisting in evaluating progress through agreed assessment activities
- Monitoring identified students in lessons and supporting them to engage with the learning objectives
- Planning with teachers the role you will take in the lesson
- Supporting identified students in tutor group time
- Assisting other students in the class group as appropriate
- Running homework clubs, invigilating examinations and acting as reader or scribe as requested.
- Supervising the use of Library facilities and monitoring student behaviour
- Operating a Library Management System
- Overseeing and contributing to library operating routines, including shelving, reservations, and overdue procedures
- Assisting with promotions and educational literacy initiatives
- The induction of new users to the library
- Managing the library budget and undertaking regular stock control
- Supervising student librarians
The Harris Federation and all our academies are committed to ensuring the highest levels of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people, and we expect all our staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check, references, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed.
This job post has expired.