We require a caretaker to assist across the three sites of our
Federation, including Whitby Sixth Form, Eskdale School and Caedmon College
Whitby. You will work as part of the Site Team, under the direction of the Site
Manager, in ensuring that the three sites are well-maintained and in a safe
state, assisting with lettings and cover across the three sites, as required.
- Grounds – Undertake routine grounds
maintenance and work of playing surfaces and landscape as detailed on work
schedules, job tickets or as directed by a supervisor. The creation, marking out and setting up of
playing surfaces. The safe use and
operation of equipment and machinery used in grounds maintenance. Inform supervisor, where appropriate, take
corrective action on mechanical defects or breakdown of equipment. Drive vehicles and equipment as required for
ground maintenance purposes. Assist in
routine maintenance of grounds equipment in accordance with routine operating
- Security - Check security of premises and equipment; lock/unlock gates,
internal and external doors; open/close windows lock/unlock; switch on/off
appliances and/or lights. Checking and controlling outside lights; temporarily
secure broken windows/doors as required. All of these tasks may be required at
the start/end of the College day.
- Outside Areas - Clean outside areas, drives, paths and parking areas and dispose
of rubbish. Pick up litter, empty litter
bins and collect and dispose of classroom waste. Clear snow and apply salt/grit
- Buildings - Seek out potential faults so that problems can be remedied before
they become serious. Carry out agreed minor repairs. Undertake some internal
re-decoration. Set up equipment as required. Supervise lettings. Be aware of
the College’s use of energy and resources and report any leaks/wastage the Site
Manager or Contracts Manager, with a view to reducing costs and wastage.
- Monitoring Systems - Undertake scheduled legionella testing and flushing hot/cold water
systems. Assist with the monitoring of energy usage, as required, under the
direction of the Contracts Manager.
- Cleaning - Clean and disinfect drains, gullies and grease traps. Deal with emergencies/accidents,
including vomit, etc, to be cleaned up, flooding and storm-damage. Cleaning
outside to scope or time of the cleaning contractor. Clean and keep College
- Vehicles - Keep clean College vehicles inside and out, as required, at the
minimum weekly. Park securely for holidays and weekends. Drive vehicles as
required. Carry out daily and weekly safety checks in accordance with LA
guidelines. Take vehicles for servicing/MOT as required.
- Porterage - Setting up and putting away furniture as required. Moving
furniture, equipment and College supplies as necessary.
- Maintenance - Routine maintenance and repairs as required.
- Communication – when undertaking caretaking duties, the postholder will be
responsible to the Site Manager and must keep the Contracts Manager or Principal
fully informed of all site and premises related matters.
- Contractors – the postholder may be expected to deal with contractors on site
and keep the Site Manager informed. They may need to monitor that contractors
carry out work in a safe and satisfactory manner, in liaison with the Site
Manager. They may need to assist with informing contractors of the College’s
- Moving Exam desks/Caravan lettings
– the postholder is
likely to assist with these duties, under the direction of the Site Manager,
particularly in the summer months.
Development/training – to
identify own training and development needs as appropriate and be willing to
participate in activities, including the College’s Performance Management
process, to address these needs and develop one’s skills as required for the
- Safeguarding – to
be committed to the safeguarding and wellbeing of young people and adhere to
all relevant College policies in this respect.
- Health & Safety – to
be aware of one’s own responsibilities and those of others in the College in
relation to working safely. To immediately report any potential health and
safety risks to the Grounds or Site Manager, or Contracts Manager, as
appropriate, if unable to address such matters oneself at the time that they
- Additional – to undertake any other similar,
related duties that may be required by the Principal or Contracts Manager from
time to time.
This job post has expired.