General Kitchen Assistant
Purpose of Job
To undertake the preparation and serving of meals and general duties including cleaning tasks in the kitchen, servery, dining hall, packed lunch hall and associated areas.
• To undertake all daily general kitchen duties as requested by your superior, this will include some food preparation.
Preparation of the dining halls and service counters ready for service, which may include moving /setting up hotplates/tables
Also the setting up of trolleys and the cleaning and dismantling of these as required after service.
• To prepare the service area, hot cupboards and other equipment at the point of service for the efficient and effective service of the meal.
• To transport meals to other areas within the schools where necessary
• To wash tins, dishes, cutlery, tumblers, jugs, serving utensils and containers, clean dining/kitchen tables and all other catering equipment within the catering environment, if asked to do so.
• To clean on a daily basis all catering areas to an agreed suitable standard.
• To use correct work methods and practice and ensure that the laid down legal standards of kitchen and personal hygiene and general Health and Safety are maintained.
• To ensure at all times a responsibility for a quality of presentation and quality of cleanliness of all food service areas.
• To ensure all equipment is used correctly and report any defects or faults immediately in accordance with Health and Safety
• To remove all rubbish and food waste on a daily basis
• To have due regard for safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and to follow the school’s child protection procedures.
• To undergo on and off site job training sessions as required by the Academy.
• Any other duties commensurate to the role and responsibility of the post.
Conditions of Employment
The above responsibilities are subject to the general duties and responsibilities contained in the written statement of conditions of employment (the Contract of Employment).
The postholder is required to support and encourage the school’s ethos and its objectives, policies and procedures as agreed by the governing body.
To uphold the school's policy in respect of child protection matters.
S/he shall be subject to all relevant statutory and institutional requirements.
The postholder may be required to perform any other reasonable tasks after consultation.
This job description allocates duties and responsibilities but does not direct the particular amount of time to be spent on carrying them out and no part of it may be so constructed.
This job description is not necessarily a comprehensive definition of the post. It will be reviewed at least once a year and it may be subject to modification at any time after consultation with the postholder.
All staff are required to participate in the school’s performance management scheme.
Health & Safety
1. Ensure adherence to all procedures related to Health and Safety and COSHH regulations with regard to good, equipment, materials and general safety.
2. Ensure the safe operation of kitchen equipment at all times.
3. Ensure that necessary repairs to kitchen equipment are reported immediately and repairs arranged, ensuring that unsafe equipment is taken out of use pending repair.
4. Ensure that all kitchen areas are clean and free from hazards.
Essential educational requirements
• Catering qualification
• Catering qualification
Essential skills and experience
• Able to understand and carry out instructions
• Meet deadlines
• Able to think logically and calmly when under pressure
• Assist in the preparation, cooking and serving of food and beverages
• Able to wash dishes, cutlery, tumblers, jugs, serving utensils, containers, tables and all other catering equipment in the catering environment
• Adhere to standards with regard to environmental health regulations
• Able to clean on a daily basis all catering areas to an agreed standard
• Able to act as a cashier as required
• Teamwork and collaboration
• Able to take initiative and to work independently
• Good interpersonal skills and confident communicator
• Evidence of the ability to promote a positive ethos and pride in the school together with high standards of education, care and behaviour.
CHAT has a free onsite car park for staff and a subsidised canteen for lunches. CHAT have a cash benefits scheme through Health Shield and can offer a generous pensions scheme through the LGPS.
About Heron Hall Academy
- Queensway, Enfield, Middlesex, EN3 4SA
- Free School
- Heron Hall Academy website (opens in a new window)