Head of Department - Design & Technology
Washwood Heath Academy, Birmingham, West Midlands
|Subject||Design and technology|
|Working pattern||Full-time only|
|Salary||M1 - UPS 3|
Are you an experienced teacher with a passion for education and a proven track record of success, looking for a new challenge? Washwood Heath Academy has a fantastic opportunity for a talented individual to join an All-Through Academy Technology team.
We are seeking to appoint an enthusiastic and dedicated individual who is passionate about Design and Technology and is ready to lead a Department. Washwood Heath Academy became an All-Through Academy in 2017 for pupils across the age range of 4-18 years. The successful candidate will be joining the Academy at an exciting time; the new state-of-the art primary facility opened in February 2019 and we are currently implementing a Knowledge-rich curriculum to raise academic standards and enrichment opportunities. Washwood Heath is an Academy that embraces evidence-based research and we work collaboratively with the other Academies in the Multi-Academy Trust.
We have a fantastic opportunity for an established Technology teacher looking to take the next step in their career. You will be passionate about education and how you can use your skills and experience to challenge students to achieve. We are looking for a committed Head of Department: someone who will go above and beyond to ensure the students in their classes are given every opportunity to be successful. Our recent Ofsted inspection said “Leaders at all levels have a good understanding of how to plan work so that it extends what pupils know and can do”. As a Middle Leader at Washwood Heath, you will have the opportunity to bring your experience to this already thriving team.
Our ideal candidate will be an experienced, outstanding practitioner with a strong commitment to improving pupils’ lives in an Academy with high levels of disadvantage and be able to demonstrate a clear track record of raising standards. A constant thirst for improvement and innovation alongside the determination to see developments through to their conclusions are essential. You will be an excellent communicator, a team player who is able to work under pressure and effectively engage pupils and staff. They will have in depth knowledge of the Design technology curriculum and good understanding of other Technology subjects.
Technology is a popular and highly successful subject at Washwood Heath Academy, with a strong tradition of delivering outstanding outcomes for students. We currently deliver GCSE Design Technology and WJEC Construction at KS4 and have experienced great success in these subjects. Due to the increased popularity of Technology within school we will also be delivering Textiles and Hospitality in September. We are very well resourced and have a standalone construction shed, food technology suite, computer suite and two woodwork/metalwork rooms.
Washwood Heath Multi Academy Trust is committed to the development of all staff. Within the Trust, there is a family of 7 schools (one All-Through, two secondaries and four primaries) serving the East of Birmingham. We believe that we are stronger working in partnership to serve the children and families of our community.
If you can demonstrate that you possess the necessary experience, knowledge and qualifications and aspire to our vision and values then we would like to hear from you. Further information about the school, the post and how to apply can be found on our school website www.washwoodheath.com/vacancies or alternatively complete the online application form. Unfortunately, we cannot allow any visits the school prior to submitting your application, but if you have any questions please contact:
Mr Steve Antell, Head of Faculty for Technology & ICT at firstname.lastname@example.org
TLR 2A (£6,829 p.a.)More on how to apply
- 10126818 Washwood Heath Academy OFSTED report.pdf  0.13 MB
- HOD (TE) personspecificationMay 2020 - Done (2) (002) (002).doc  0.16 MB
- HOD(TE). job description .May 2020 - Done (2) (002).doc  0.19 MB
- Privacy Notice - Job applicants April 2020.docx  0.03 MB
- TEACHER-APPLICATION-FORM-.docx  0.09 MB
- HOD (TE) Advert May 2020 - Done (003).doc  0.10 MB
|Education phase||All Through|
|School size||1621 pupils enrolled|
|Age range||4 to 18|
|Ofsted report||View Ofsted report|
|School website||Washwood Heath Academy website (opens in a new window)|
About Washwood Heath Academy
In our recent February 2020 Ofsted inspection, our All-through Academy was recognised as ‘Good’ across all categories. The Ofsted Report states that:
‘This is a school for everyone. Staff work hard to support pupils who are new to the school or who have particular needs. Pupils respect different cultures and traditions and get along well with each other. Pupils, particularly in the primary phase, display a good level of independence for their age. Leaders know their school very well. They use research to help it to improve. Leaders check carefully on the impact of their decisions. Significant changes to the sixth form have led to students learning well. In the secondary phase, strong subject leadership is improving pupils’ achievement.’
We can offer you:
• Enthusiastic, well behaved learners who engage positively with school life
• Hard-working, motivated and engaged staff and governors, who care deeply about the outcomes for children and young people
• A culture of support for all staff
• MAT-wide continued professional development opportunities to enable practical and research based school improvement initiatives. This includes a whole range of opportunities to further develop colleagues’ teaching skills and leadership potential, including a Supportive NQT Induction Process & Policy, Career Pledge for Teachers to support at each stage of career, paid opportunities to upskill via apprenticeship levy (right up to masters level).
• High level of support, coaching and friendship from the CEO/Head Teacher group
• On-site parking and Perkbox benefits which include discounted restaurants and free mobile
• a creative and innovative in our approach to all aspects of school life
• motivated, vibrant, multi ethnic students and staff
• a strong family ethos where individuals are respected and valued
• Access to a generous pension scheme
Burney Lane, Birmingham, West Midlands, B8 2AS