Head of English
The Burgate School and Sixth Form is a great place to work with an excellent local reputation. With the school rated ‘good’ by Ofsted in May 2019 and a sixth form graded as ‘outstanding’ this truly is an excellent opportunity to lead a highly successful English department. Achievement is very high at all levels in the school, because students are exceptionally well-behaved and eager to learn in our warm and friendly environment.
We are looking for a well-qualified, inspiring and forward thinking colleague who will relish the opportunity to:
• Lead a high performing English Department
• Further improve the already excellent outcomes for students in English
• Work with exceptional colleagues to deliver high quality lessons
• Enhance the curriculum at all levels to further the enjoyment of learning for students
You are likely to be someone who:
• Is an inspirational classroom teacher
• Has a proven track-record of improving outcomes for students
• Has a clear understanding of effective stretch and challenge
• Understands how to enable students to achieve at the highest level
• Will embrace our highly supportive and professional culture
The Burgate can offer you the opportunity to:
• Work with wonderful young people and their families
• Work with outstanding colleagues throughout our school
• Receive high quality continued professional development
• Develop your role as a significant school leader
• Have additional PPA time in order to deliver successfully your role
• Live and work in one of the most beautiful areas of England
Salary: Highly competitive salary dependent on qualifications and experience.
The Burgate School & Sixth Form is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We will ensure that all our recruitment and selection practices reflect this commitment. The successful applicant will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check as well as all other relevant pre-employment checks including satisfactory references and medical clearance. For posts in regulated activity, the DBS check will include a children's barred list check. It is an offence to seek employment in regulated activity if you are on a barred list. We welcome applications regardless of age, gender, ethnicity or religion.
To apply, please complete a Burgate School and Sixth Form teaching application form. We do not accept CVs. Further details including the application pack and an application form are available on the Vacancies page of our school website www.burgate.hants.sch.uk or please contact the school.
Essential educational requirements
Degree or equivalent academic qualification
Qualified Teacher Status
Essential skills and experience
Enthusiasm and passion for English
Experience of improving the outcomes of groups of students
Demonstrate and model excellence in the classroom
A record of being able to work collaboratively as part of an effective team
Ability to track progress to develop student potential
Excellent interpersonal skills, a high level of emotional intelligence and emotional resilience
Ability to demonstrate a high standard of organisational skills
Show keen interest and ability to keep abreast of new initiatives
Commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people
A commitment to and evidence of professional development
Strong willingness to contribute to the wider life of the school
We offer a welcoming and supportive working environment with sustained professional development and individualised CPD opportunities in an environment which recognises aspiration and excellence.
About The Burgate School and Sixth Form
The Burgate School and Sixth Form converted to a Single Academy Trust in May 2011. We are a popular, Hampshire school providing high quality comprehensive education for children aged between 11 and 18. We are committed to supporting all staff in their career aspirations. Our school vision is that we want every child to enjoy their learning and feel valued for who they are.
- Salisbury Road, Fordingbridge, Hampshire, SP6 1EZ
- The Burgate School and Sixth Form website (opens in a new window)