Head of English (TLR1a)
• To raise standards of student attainment and achievement within the department and to monitor and support student progress.
• To lead on developing and enhancing the teaching practice of others.
• To help manage and deploy teaching/support staﬀ, financial and physical resources within the department.
Operational and Strategic Planning
• To help lead the development of appropriate syllabuses, resources, schemes of work, marking policies, assessment and teaching and learning strategies in the department.
• To actively monitor student progress and plan for any necessary intervention.
• To implement Academy Policies and Procedures.
• To work with colleagues to formulate aims, objectives and department development plans which will enable all students, regardless of background, to achieve their best in courses highly suited to their learning strengths and future pathways.
• To work with colleagues to develop teaching that is innovative, dynamic, personalised and of consistently high standard. Teaching will be tuned towards helping students become highly eﬀective and passionate learners.
• To help lead curriculum development for the whole department.
• To keep up to date with national developments in the subject area and teaching practice and methodology.
• To actively monitor and respond to curriculum development and initiatives at national, regional and local levels.
Deployment of Staﬀ
• To make appropriate arrangements for classes when staﬀ are absent, ensuring appropriate cover within the department.
• To promote teamwork and to motivate staﬀ to ensure eﬀective working relations.
• To support the day‐to‐day management of staﬀ within the department and act as a positive role model.
• To establish the process of the setting of targets within the department and to work towards their achievement.
• To establish common standards of practice within the department and develop the eﬀectiveness of teaching and learning styles within the subject area.
• To contribute to the Academy procedures for lesson observations.
• To implement Academy quality procedures and to ensure adherence to those within the department.
• To monitor and evaluate the curriculum area in line with agreed Academy procedures including evaluation against quality standards and performance criteria.
• To seek/implement modification and improvement where required.
To ensure that:
• All members of the faculty are familiar with its aims and objectives.
• There is eﬀective communication/consultation as appropriate with the parents of students.
Management of Resources
To assist in the management of the available resources of space, staﬀ, money and equipment eﬃciently within the limits, guidelines and procedures laid down; including deploying the department budget, requisitioning, organising and maintaining equipment and stock, and keeping appropriate records.
• To monitor and support the overall progress and development of students within the department.
• To monitor student attendance together with students' progress and performance in relation to targets set for each individual; ensuring that follow‐up procedures are adhered to and that appropriate action is taken where necessary.
• To act as a Form Tutor and to carry out the duties associated with that role as outlined in the generic job description.
• To ensure the Behaviour Management System is implemented in the department so that eﬀective learning can take place.
• Assist members of the department with behaviour management as necessary.
• To continue personal development as agreed.
• Employees are expected to be courteous to colleagues and provide a welcoming environment to visitors and telephone callers.
• Whilst every eﬀort has been made to explain the main duties and responsibilities of the post, each individual task undertaken may not be identified.
• The exact role and tasks of the Head of English will be negotiated in detail with their line manager. Employees will be expected to comply with any reasonable request from a manager to undertake work of a similar level that is not specified in this job description.
• This job description is current at the date shown, but, in consultation with you, may be changed by the Head of School to reflect or anticipate changes in the job commensurate with the grade and job title.
To play a full part in the life of the Academy community, to support its aims and ethos and to encourage and ensure staﬀ and students follow this example.
Essential educational requirements
Good Honours degree in related subject
Qualified Teacher Status
Essential skills and experience
Teaching experience at Key Stage 3‐4
Previous leadership experience desirable
About Ormiston Endeavour Academy
Ormiston Endeavour Academy is a Key Stage 3 and 4 (Yrs 7 - 11) secondary school with academy status located in Ipswich in the English county of Suffolk. The school is sponsored by the Ormiston Academies Trust.
- Defoe Road, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP1 6SG
- Ormiston Endeavour Academy website (opens in a new window)