Head of Learning Area - Art/Textiles Teacher (Fixed-Term Maternity Cover)
A JOB PURPOSE:
• To assist the Principal in fulfilling the academy’s vision and instilling the academy’s values in all that we do.
• To assist the Principal in providing strategic leadership for the academy.
• To assist the Principal in the delivery of the 3 year development plan in line with the academy’ vision and values.
• To teach consistently outstanding lessons which bring about excellent outcomes for students.
• To ensure consistently outstanding lessons are typically taught by all members of staff within your department which bring about excellent outcomes for students - through auditing the quality of teaching and learning and providing appropriate professional development.
• Implement thorough quality assurance measures to ensure attainment and outcomes for our students.
• The post holder is expected to meet all the Core and Post Threshold, Excellent and Advanced Skills Professional Standards for Teachers.
• All leaders in the Academy will devise strategies for raising attainment and ensuring the Academy Development Plan is implemented successfully.
• The post holder will be required to deliver daily sessions of guided reading and PSHE for their coaching group in addition to their core responsibilities.
Quality of Teaching and Learning
• To ensure your teaching is consistently good and outstanding and outcomes are exemplary and in line with KPIs.
To assist the Assistant Principal to, and for the Key Stage you are responsible for:
• To ensure the teaching across your Department is consistently good and outstanding and their outcomes are exemplary and in line with KPIs.
• To work in partnership with the lead professional for teaching and learning to ensure there is support for colleagues in developing their:
• To ensure consistently high quality across your department through rigorous quality assurance measures.
• To observe regularly and develop colleagues and act as a beacon of best pedagogical practice.
• To ensure you are up to date with national and international curriculum developments.
• To create, lead on and develop whole academy continued professional development to ensure outstanding outcomes for students.
• To be at the cutting edge of pedagogical research in order to influence and develop best practice here.
• Seek opportunities to collaborate with other Academies, innovative and high achieving schools through the Oasis Community Learning and other relevant networks to share and develop excellent pedagogies.
• Ensure consistency across all key stages being taught in terms of the systems being used to teach.
• To take responsibility for a Key Stage and ensure the creation of a high quality curriculum, assessments and differentiated resources.
• To lead standardising, moderation and department meetings where appropriate to ensure a high level of accuracy in assessment.
C: Student Achievement and Attainment
To assist the Assistant Principal to, and for their own key stage ensure:
• Ensure a rigorous assessment policy is in place so that KPIs can be accurately tracked and monitored in order to ensure all students make outstanding progress.
• Set challenging targets that build on prior attainment of every student and ensure our KPIs are met.
• Evaluate student progress on a weekly basis through ensuring student progress is levelled with clear targets to develop.
• Ensure the quality of feedback throughout the academy is in line with Assessment for Learning policy.
• Set, track, evaluate and report on individual student progress and groups of students towards their targets.
• Keep systematic records to show students' understanding and completion of work and the identified strengths, areas for development and grades awarded.
• Support and help colleagues to improve their effectiveness by developing their understanding and use of student data and strategies to address underachievement.
• Ensure a consistent and continuous focus on student achievement using data to track and monitor the progress in every student’s learning.
• Evaluate student progress across specified areas of responsibility through the use of appropriate assessments and records and regular analysis of the data.
• Use national, local and Academy data effectively to analyse and evaluate student progress; planning and implementing effective interventions to support students. Use local and national statistical data and other information, in order to provide (a) a comparative baseline for evaluating learners’ progress and attainment, (b) a means of judging the effectiveness of their teaching, and (c) a basis for improving teaching and learning.
The Head of Learning Area will take responsibility for a Key Stage and will:
• Create, design, monitor, and develop the curriculum in line with OAS vision and values.
• Work with the Assistant Principal to oversee and develop a weekly programme of extra-curricular clubs and interventions for Art.
• Organise a range of trips and visits to support the curriculum
E: Whole Academy Responsibility
• To assist the Principal in fulfilling the academy’s vision and instilling the academy values in all that we do.
• Assisting the principal in the implementation of the Academy Self Evaluation Academy Development Plan.
• Assist in the appointment of staff and their deployment to make the most effective use of their skills, expertise and experience to raise standards of achievement across the Academy.
• Any other responsibility as set out by the Principal.
F. Safeguarding children and young People
Oasis is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. We expect all staff to share this commitment and to undergo appropriate checks, including an enhanced DBS check.
OTHER: The above responsibilities are subject to the general duties and responsibilities contained in the Statement of Conditions of Employment.
The duties of this post may vary from time to time without changing the general character of the post or level of responsibility entailed.
Essential educational requirements
• First degree or 2:1 in related subject
• Commitment to own continuing professional development
• Qualified Teacher Status
• Master’s Degree (Desirable)
Essential skills and experience
• Evidence of teaching outstanding lessons over time
• Evidence of significantly improving teaching and learning and examination results at Key Stage 3 and 4.
• Evidence of raising standards over a 3 year period. Including evidence of raising levels of progress from Key Stage 2-4
• Evidence of managing challenging behaviour successfully and implementing strategies to ensure a consistent approach to behaviour management is taken throughout a faculty
• Experience of successful team leadership and team membership
• Evidence of the ability, ambition and experience to develop and maintain a clear and vibrant vision for a curriculum area
• Experience of successfully contributing to aspects of whole school life
Teachers Pension Scheme
About Oasis Academy Silvertown
Oasis Academy Silvertown is a successful secondary academy for children aged 11-16 in the Royal Docks area of East London. Oasis Silvertown received its first Ofsted Inspection in May 2017 and were delighted to be awarded “good” with 3 “outstanding” judgements for Leadership and Management, Personal Development, Behaviour, Welfare and Student Outcomes. We have an ambitious mission statement for all our students: Ready for University. Ready to Lead. Our mission is underpinned by our core values, which staff and students hold: Be proud, be professional, be nice, be independent, and be resilient. We are currently situated in temporary accommodation on Rymill Street, London and has recently been granted permission to build a brand new permanent base in the borough. We are pleased to announce that work has started on our permanent state-of-the-art building and is due to be completed from September 2021. This is an exciting milestone for Oasis Academy Silvertown, the new building will provide amazing facilities for 600 students and provide exceptional education at the heart of the community.
- Rymill Street, London, E16 2TX
- Free School
- Oasis Academy Silvertown website (opens in a new window)