Head of Maths and Physics
This job expired on 20 March 2023 – see similar jobs
Start date details
20 March 2023 at 11:59pm
27 February 2023
- View all Full timejobs - Directed
- MPS (Inner London) + £2,000 Harris Allowance + TLR 1
Performance and Loyalty Bonus + Harris Wellbeing Cash Plan + Pension Scheme (TPS) + Additional Harris Benefits
What skills and experience we're looking for
We are looking to appoint a Head of Maths and Physics at Harris Westminster Sixth Form, following the promotion of our current post-holder within the Harris Federation.
The Maths and Physics Faculty is well-established and successful but has room to grow further and flourish under a new Head of Faculty who is passionate about teaching and learning.
We are looking for an inspiring and energetic individual who is as passionate about developing their students as people as they are about their subject. As a Head of Faculty at Harris Westminster Sixth Form, you will join a dedicated and dynamic team of teachers and staff in supporting our fantastic students.
For an informal chat about the role, you are invited to phone the school and speak with Claire Scott, Head of School. Research shows that some applicants are put off if they don't meet all criteria, especially women and people from a BAME background. We encourage and welcome any applicant who meets the majority of our criteria to apply.
The successful candidate will have:
- Successful experience teaching Maths & Further Maths or Physics at sixth form level with excellent outcomes at A Level.
- Understanding of theory and practice of effective teaching and learning.
- Experience of observing teaching and giving feedback
- Understanding of how the most-able students learn.
- Understanding of the importance of having high expectations for all students, both of behaviour and academic achievement.
- Understanding of inclusive provision and practices which offer equality of access to the curriculum for all students, including special educational needs and English as an additional language.
- Knowledge and experience of writing schemes of work, lesson plans, developing resources and assessing students' work.
- Understanding the importance of being a Tutor.
What the school offers its staff
Harris Westminster combines the energy of brilliant young people from across London's diverse neighbourhoods, the strength of Westminster School in teaching academically able students, and the Harris Federation's experience and expertise in running outstanding maintained sector schools. It is over-subscribed, academically selective, has 35% of students from a disadvantaged background, and has incredible diversity in its student cohort with no ethnic group exceeding 20%. 65% of HWSF students go on to study at Russell Group universities and we have one of the largest Oxbridge cohorts of any school (state or private). 38 students from the 2022 cohort gained places. We are looking for an outstanding individual to join and support this exciting, scholarly, and vibrant community.
We also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes our Harris Allowance, a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme, a Wellbeing Cash Plan and many other benefits.
Further details about the role
- To develop faculty aims, objectives and strategic plans in line with the Sixth Form Improvement Plan.
- To contribute to the whole Sixth Form's planning and self-evaluation activities.
- To lead the development of appropriate syllabuses, resources, schemes of work, marking policies and teaching strategies in the subject areas.
- To lead the process of curriculum development and implementation of change to ensure the continued relevance to the needs of students. This includes the development of resources, schemes of work, policies and strategies for raising achievement.
- To plan, direct and lead subject specific training within the faculty, as well as contribute to whole school professional training as appropriate.
- To continue personal development in the relevant areas, including subject knowledge and teaching methods and to ensure that other members of the faculty do the same.
- To work as a member of a designated team and to contribute positively to effective working relations within the Sixth Form.
- To take part in the Sixth Form's staff development programme by participating in arrangements for further training and professional development.
Please see job pack for full list.
Commitment to safeguarding
About Harris Westminster Sixth Form
- School type
- Free School, ages 16 to 19
- Education phase
- View all Sixth form and collegejobs
- School size
- 603 pupils enrolled
- Age range
- 16 to 19
- Ofsted report
- View Ofsted report (opens in new tab)
- School website
- Harris Westminster Sixth Form website (opens in new tab)
- Email address
- Phone number
- 0203 772 4555
A 2016 Ofsted inspection found Harris Westminster Sixth Form to be Outstanding in all areas, confirming our status as London’s leading state sixth form for able students. Harris Westminster combines the strengths of Westminster School in teaching academically able students with the Harris Federation’s experience in establishing and running outstanding maintained sector schools. We take full advantage of our location just off Parliament Square to provide students with a vibrant and stimulating academic environment including weekly guest lectures in school. We are highly over-subscribed, academically selective and have a varied student cohort including 40% Pupil Premium. 17 students from our 2016/17 cohort went on to study at Oxbridge. We are looking for outstanding individuals to join this exciting and scholarly community.
Similar jobs nearby
East London Arts & Music
Maltings Close, London, E3 3TA
Get a job alert when similar jobs are listed
Find more school jobs in London