Head of Maths
Full Time | Start Date: September 2020 | Salary: MPS/UPS + TLR 2B to 1B dependent on skills and experience
We are seeking to appoint an inspirational Middle Leader with a track record of excellent outcomes in teaching Mathematics and the ability to lead on teaching, learning and curriculum design, with a view to driving up standards within our department. This post will provide an ideal opportunity to play a prominent role within middle leadership and make a significant contribution to the whole school. The successful candidate will be supported by a team of committed and talented Mathematics teachers working to produce the best possible outcomes for our students.
Orchard Mead Academy is an extremely rewarding school with an exceptionally caring ethos which is at the forefront of your work. We are a mixed comprehensive school of approximately 1200 students sharing a common vision to make a positive difference; to ourselves, to others and to our world. We offer a culture based on shared values and collaboration, committed professional and well-qualified colleagues, strong support from senior leaders and a superb working environment.
We are seeking an individual who will:
• Help to raise standards and achievement through the strategic leadership of Mathematics, delivering consistently strong outcomes.
• Inspire imaginative and effective approaches to the teaching and learning of Mathematics to help drive up attainment standards.
• Support the development of teaching and learning across the Academy, modelling excellent practice, robust line management and strong mentoring abilities.
• Teach consistently high quality lessons to deliver excellent outcomes for students.
• Be able to teach across the ability and age range, supporting the development of Mathematics to the highest standard for all pupils at Key Stages 3 and 4.
The ideal candidate will:
• Be an excellent Mathematics practitioner.
• Be passionate about developing their own practice and the teaching and learning practice of others.
• Have a keen interest in Mathematics and in developing all aspects of Mathematics teaching and learning.
• Have the ability to engage and inspire pupils and build excellent relationships with both students and staff.
• To lead curriculum development, professional learning and teaching and learning in mathematics. Defining the body of knowledge and skills to be imparted from year 7-11, informed by the National Curriculum and Examination Specifications;
• To monitor and support the overall progress and development of students within maths;
To be accountable for achieving the highest standards to student attainment and progress in maths;
• To assess, monitor and report on students' progress according to departmental and Academy policy;
• To record and use data on students' prior and ongoing progress to inform effective target setting and lesson planning and enable students to accumulate knowledge and skills related to the discipline of maths.
Essential educational requirements
• Qualified Teacher Status
• Appropriate degree
• Qualified Teacher Status (essential)
• Appropriate degree (essential)
• A further qualification, degree, diploma, certificate in relevant subject (desirable)
Essential skills and experience
• Ability to teach Maths to Key Stage 3 and GCSE level.
• Ability to use ICT as a teaching medium to motivate young learners.
• Commitment to the promotion of teaching and learning Mathematics.
• Commitment to international links.
• Willingness to promote links with other schools, including feeder schools and post 16 institutions.
• Up-to-date subject and assessment knowledge.
• Experience of health and safety issues in the workplace relating to equipment, materials and working practices.
We can offer you:
• A friendly and supportive working environment with enthusiastic and dedicated leaders at senior and middle leadership levels and a commitment to the professional development of staff.
• Career development and recruitment incentives with access and support to follow middle leadership programmes e.g. NPQML and Teaching Leaders.
• Access to CPD to help you grow and develop in your role.
• Focussed support on your wellbeing. TMET has partnered with Amica to offer free counselling and support to our staff.
About Orchard Mead Academy
Orchard Mead Academy is a culturally diverse comprehensive school with approximately 1200 students situated in the North East of Leicester and is part of The Mead Educational Trust (TMET). The Trust is a growing partnership of primary and secondary schools situated in the East Midlands. It provides its academies access to a world-class education network and staff with an employer providing high quality professional development. We are committed to ensuring each Academy enables every pupil to achieve the very best. We believe that together we make a positive difference.
- Keyham Lane West, Leicester, Leicestershire, LE5 1RT
- Orchard Mead Academy website (opens in a new window)