Head of Maths
Leeds East Academy, Leeds, West Yorkshire
|Working pattern||Full-time only|
|Salary||Lead Practitioners range 5 to Lead Practitioners range 9, £45,319 to £50,026|
Leeds East Academy is a diverse and vibrant school community which has recently been judged as ‘Good’ across all areas of the Ofsted framework. In the Ofsted report inspectors commented; 'Leaders' aspirations for the school are high. They are determined that all of their pupils, regardless of background, will achieve as highly as possible. Leaders have created an ambitious and optimistic culture across the school'. The school has been on a rapid journey of improvement securing a progress 8 score in 2018 in line with the national average. Housed within a state-of-the-art school building, Leeds East Academy is now the premier choice of school for families in the local area. Leeds East Academy is also a highly desirable and dynamic establishment for ambitious education professionals, who will be joining a forward thinking organisation committed to securing the highest educational, professional and personal standards for the community we serve.
As part of a group of three core subject leaders, you will drive forward the performance of pupils within your core subject area and make a strong contribution to the future direction of the academy by supporting and further developing our improvement plans. This role will be central to our plans to ensure that all pupils leave our academy with excellent GCSE’s including English, Maths and Science.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and ambitious Head of Department to join our passionate team. Maths results at Leeds East Academy have rapidly improved over the last three years and we are committed to ensuring all pupils continue to achieve beyond their potential. This is an incredibly exciting opportunity to join a department dedicated to improving outcomes, aspirations and life chances of young people.
The mathematics team at Leeds East Academy has a wide range of experience and skills. The department works collaboratively to develop both learning experiences and professional growth. Staff at all levels feel well developed by both our departmental and whole school CPD programmes.
At Leeds East Academy we are committed to ensuring success for all by improving every pupil’s resilience, understanding and confidence in Mathematics. From year 7, pupils are placed in smaller than average classes and they follow a mastery curriculum; developing fluency, reasoning and problem solving and use mathematical reasoning to strengthen conceptual understanding. All classrooms have interactive whiteboards and we use Hegarty Maths to support independent learning.
Essential educational requirements
Good Degree in relevant subject
PGCE or Equivalent
QTS - The post is not suitable for NQT candidates
Essential skills and experience
• Ability to turn vision into reality
• Ability to inspire and motivate others
• Ability to lead and manage a fully inclusive Maths Team
• Ability to lead the design and development of an innovative curriculum
• Recent experience as an effective, successful classroom teacher
• A good understanding of the key stage three and four curriculum and recent relevant changes in Maths
• Track record of successful leadership experience
• Experience of successfully changing organisational culture, in relation to aspiration, teaching practices and standards
• Be resilient, reliable, in good health, and possess a sense of humour
• Ability to use progress data of students to benchmark, track and raise attainment of students for whom responsible
• Ability to lead the development of others
• Possess personal integrity, warmth and a willingness to grow and learn
• Enhanced DBS Check
|School size||930 pupils enrolled|
|Age range||11 to 16|
|Ofsted report||View Ofsted report|
|School website||Leeds East Academy website (opens in a new window)|
About Leeds East Academy
South Parkway, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS14 6TY