||MPS/UPS + TLR or Leadership Scale dependent on experience
Job Description: Head of All-Through MFL
Start date: January 2021 or April 2021 or September 2021
Salary: MPS/UPS + TLR or Leadership Scale dependent on experience
To lead a ground-breaking MFL department which is nationally recognised for its excellence and innovation.
Outcomes and Activities
Leadership of subject
• Develop innovative schemes of work which are inspiring for learners and teachers alike and feed into standards based assessments
• Produce periodic assessments with marks schemes
• Ensure assessments are moderated internally and externally
• Ensure end of year assessments reflect each pupil’s overall level which is both externally valid and provides an accurate baseline for the next academic year
• Analyse progress and attainment data to make data-driven changes to curriculum design, and pupil interventions
• Work in collaboration with classroom teachers and SENDCO to ensure pupils receive high quality interventions
• Through regular observation and feedback, mentor subject teachers to ensure excellent teaching and learning in all lessons
• Ensure that classroom teachers are utilising best pedagogical practice for their subject
• Conduct termly evaluations of the quality of teaching and learning of individual classes and as a department, agreeing implementing and holding teachers to account on changes to teaching and learning
• Create and sustain a positive department culture, where teammates feel collectively supported and developed
• Assist in the recruitment and leading the training of MFL Tutor Fellows, trainees and other MFL staff
Teaching and Learning
• Meticulously plan and teach engaging and challenging lessons that pave the way for success in school and life
• Meet the needs of all learners by consistently planning and teaching carefully differentiated lessons
• Set and mark appropriate homework
• Use regular, measurable and significant assessments of their teaching
• Complete all reporting on time
• Closely monitor progress and attainment of their pupils and use it to inform their teaching
• Provide content for and where necessary deliver high quality pupil interventions with direction from SENDCO
• Ensure that all pupils achieve or exceed academy targets
• Maintain regular and productive communication with parents about their child’s progress, behavior and development, including attending after school parent meetings as required
• Organise and participate in exciting and motivating trips and events
• Answer “homework help” phone calls from pupils
More on how to apply
• Undertake professional development as agreed with school leaders
• Perform additional duties and tasks required for the effective operation of the school, including: attending home visits, eating lunch with pupils, supervising silent sustained reading (DEAR), break supervision and gate duty
• Undertake other various responsibilities as directed by the Principal
About Ark King Solomon Academy
Head of All-Through MFL
King Solomon Academy has consistently been one of the highest performing non-selective schools in the country. We are redefining what is possible and we are seeking an exceptional leader of MFL, ready to join the curriculum leadership team in our high-performing school and to contribute to the achieving of our mission. This is a unique opportunity to be part of showing what education can achieve. It is also unique because of the place MFL holds in our all-through school.
KSA aims to transform the lives of its pupils. Our mission is to provide a rigorous education that prepares our pupils for success at university and beyond, irrespective of their starting point. Our teachers and leaders do whatever it takes to make this a reality.
We are looking for a leader who has a vision for what an excellent MFL education would look like for pupils aged 3 to 18; a leader who is able to deliver that vision through excellent planning, coaching and teaching. This leader will also need to monitor and evaluate the quality and effectiveness of all the different strands of MFL education at King Solomon Academy. The leader must be ready to commit to leading an extensive extra-curricular MFL programme which will enrich the lives of our pupils and help prepare them for university and beyond. The ability to teach French and Spanish is essential.
All our pupils study French from Year 5 onwards, and make superb progress. We believe that our languages teaching is cutting-edge. With our all-through pupils we are confident that almost the entire year group will all achieve at least Grade 6 at GCSE, an impressive achievement given our school serves a deprived community with low attainment on entry. We welcome the arrival of an MFL leader who can learn from and build on what has already been achieved and motivate and inspire our exceptional team of MFL teachers.
French is brought to life at KSA by the engaging way it is taught. Our curriculum is rigorous and aims to deliver core knowledge and grammar through regular interleaving and repetition. Real world application permeates the curriculum: from exposure to authentic texts to learning about life in the trenches for a French soldier in World War 1. French is taught exclusively to the pupils at Key Stage 2 and 3, with Spanish introduced as an option in KS4. Being a pure all-through school, the Head of Department would be able to have the opportunity to lead the learning of languages in Primary also, where the foundation of language acquisition is laid down.
In recent years our outcomes in French and Spanish at GCSE have been strong. In last year’s results, with pupils who started French with us at Year 7, 52% of pupils achieved a 6 or higher, with 95% of our cohort sitting French GCSE. 20% of the cohort took Spanish, and 92% achieved an 7 or higher. We have a small but passionate provision at A-level in both French and Spanish, achieving well.
We are excited to offer the role of Head of All-Through MFL. This role will give the successful candidate the opportunity to build on the exceptional work and thinking of previous leaders and to push the frontiers of what is possible in languages teaching.
As a member of the curriculum leadership team, this role will require a leader who is 100% aligned to King Solomon Academy’s values, mission and approach. This role will provide the opportunity to be mentored and nurtured as a leader in one of the highest performing and most forward-thinking schools in the country.
Penfold Street, London, NW1 6RU