Head of Modern Foreign Languages
This job expired on 16 February 2023 – see similar jobs
Start date details
16 February 2023 at 11:59pm
3 February 2023
- Key stage 3, Key stage 4, Key stage 5
- View all Languagesjobs
- View all Full timejobs - Directed
Full-time equivalent salary
- MPS (Outer London) + £1,500 Harris Allowance + TLR
Performance and Loyalty Bonus + Pension scheme (TPS) + Harris Wellbeing Cash Plan + Additional Harris Benefits
What skills and experience we're looking for
Are you a passionate teacher looking for your next step? We are looking for a qualified, experienced teacher to join Harris Academy South Norwood as Head of MFL.
The successful candidate will:
- Hold QTS (or equivalent) and a relevant undergraduate degree, and, ideally, management training
- Demonstrate successful teaching of GCSE at good or better level
Have experience of initiation and effective management of change
Show evidence of raising achievement in present post and showing good value added for groups
- Have knowledge of current curriculum developments in subject and their implications
- Have good knowledge and understanding of current educational thinking
- Show good understanding of how children learn and how to raise standards of achievement
- Have good communication skills in speech and writing
- Display excellent organisational skills
- Be able to build and sustain professional standards and relationships with students
- Be able to contribute towards creating a safe and protective environment
What the school offers its staff
Harris Academy South Norwood, Beulah Hill campus is an extremely popular 11-19 academy that has been judged Outstanding by OFSTED since 2010. We deliver a broad and challenging curriculum to all our students in a calm and well-ordered environment. We have high expectations of all members of the school community. This is reflected in our consistently high student performance at GCSE, progression to post 16 study at our sixth form and then on to some of the best universities in the country.
In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes our Harris Allowance for teachers on MPS/UPS, a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme, electric car scheme, a Wellbeing Cash Plan and many other benefits.
Further details about the role
The purpose of your role will be:
- To be accountable for leading, managing and developing the subject area.
- To raise standards of student attainment and achievement within the whole subject/curriculum area and to monitor and support student progress.
- To ensure the provision of an appropriately broad, balanced, relevant and differentiated curriculum for students studying in the department, in accordance with the aims of the academy and the curricular policies determined by the Governing Body and Principal.
- To teach the relevant subject across the age and ability range.
- To facilitate and encourage a learning experience which provides students with the opportunity to achieve their individual potential.
- To effectively manage and deploy staff, financial and physical resources within the department.
- To share and support the school's responsibility to provide and monitor opportunities for personal and academic growth.
Your main areas of responsibility will fall under the areas of:
- Operational and strategic planning (including formulating the subject and faculty improvement plans, and leading the development of appropriate syllabuses, resources, schemes of work, marking policies, assessment and teaching strategies)
- Ensuring the delivery of an appropriate, comprehensive, high quality and cost effective curriculum and leading development of the subject and its delivery
- Staff development (including recruiting, building and managing an effective team of motivated staff)
- Student outcomes (including ensuring the effective operation of target setting, monitoring and evaluation systems and the input and maintenance of accurate student data)
- Pastoral system (including being a form tutor to a selected group of students)
- Teaching, including acting as an outstanding role model
Commitment to safeguarding
About Harris Academy South Norwood
- School type
- Academy, ages 11 to 19
- Education phase
- View all Secondaryjobs
- School size
- 2116 pupils enrolled
- Age range
- 11 to 19
- Ofsted report
- View Ofsted report (opens in new tab)
- School website
- Harris Academy South Norwood website (opens in new tab)
- Email address
- Phone number
- 0208 405 5070
Located five minutes from Norwood Junction train station, a transport hub ten minutes' train journey from London Bridge, Harris Academy South Norwood has belonging and personal growth as our touchstones. We believe that teaching students powerful knowledge and developing their understanding of the world will help them become the best version of themselves: to help them to turn mirrors into windows.
Similar jobs nearby
The John Roan School - Head of MFL (Maternity Cover) 1 Yr Fixed Term Contract
The John Roan School
Westcombe Park Road, London, SE3 7QR
Deputy Director of Modern Foreign Languages (Spanish)
Harris Academy Wimbledon
59 High Path, London, SW19 2JY
Ark Pioneer Academy
Westcombe Drive, Barnet, EN5 2BE
Harris Academy Ockendon
Erriff Drive, South Ockendon, RM15 5AY
Get a job alert when similar jobs are listed
Find more school jobs in London