Head of RE and Social Sciences
This job expired on 31 May 2023 – see similar jobs
Start date details
31 May 2023 at 11:59pm
25 May 2023
- Key stage 3, Key stage 4, Key stage 5
- View all Full timejobs - Directed
- MPS/UPS (Inner London) + £2,000 Harris Allowance + TLR
Performance & Loyalty Bonus + Pension Scheme (TPS) + Harris Wellbeing Cash Plan + Additional Harris Benefits
What skills and experience we're looking for
Are you a passionate teacher looking for your next step? We are looking for a qualified, experienced teacher to join Harris Academy Bermondsey as Head of RE and Social Sciences.
The successful candidate will:
- Hold QTS (or equivalent) and a relevant undergraduate degree, and, ideally, management training
- Demonstrate successful teaching of GCSE at good or better level
Have experience of initiation and effective management of change
Show evidence of raising achievement in present post and showing good value added for groups
- Have knowledge of current curriculum developments in subject and their implications
- Have good knowledge and understanding of current educational thinking
- Show good understanding of how children learn and how to raise standards of achievement
- Have good communication skills in speech and writing
- Display excellent organisational skills
- Be able to build and sustain professional standards and relationships with students
- Be able to contribute towards creating a safe and protective environment
What the school offers its staff
Harris Academy Bermondsey is a girls' school with drive and ambition in the heart of London. Our students achieve the very highest standards in their education. Ofsted rated us as Outstanding in every one of their categories in November 2019.
Our people are at the heart of our success. We have developed a strong culture of collaboration and best practice, with professional development and career planning at its centre. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of top-quality training programmes delivered at every level to senior leadership.
In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme, a Wellbeing Cash Plan, electric car scheme, 26 days' annual leave (plus bank holidays) for non term-time only employees, and many other benefits.
Further details about the role
The purpose of your role will be:
- To be accountable for leading, managing and developing the subject area.
- To raise standards of student attainment and achievement within the whole subject/curriculum area and to monitor and support student progress.
- To ensure the provision of an appropriately broad, balanced, relevant and differentiated curriculum for students studying in the department, in accordance with the aims of the academy and the curricular policies determined by the Governing Body and Principal.
- To teach the relevant subject across the age and ability range.
- To facilitate and encourage a learning experience which provides students with the opportunity to achieve their individual potential.
- To effectively manage and deploy staff, financial and physical resources within the department.
- To share and support the school's responsibility to provide and monitor opportunities for personal and academic growth.
Your main areas of responsibility will fall under the areas of:
- Operational and strategic planning (including formulating the subject and faculty improvement plans, and leading the development of appropriate syllabuses, resources, schemes of work, marking policies, assessment and teaching strategies)
- Ensuring the delivery of an appropriate, comprehensive, high quality and cost effective curriculum and leading development of the subject and its delivery
- Staff development (including recruiting, building and managing an effective team of motivated staff)
- Student outcomes (including ensuring the effective operation of target setting, monitoring and evaluation systems and the input and maintenance of accurate student data)
- Pastoral system (including being a form tutor to a selected group of students)
- Teaching, including acting as an outstanding role model
Commitment to safeguarding
Upload additional documents
If you need these documents in an accessible format, please contact the school.
About Harris Academy Bermondsey
- School type
- Academy, ages 11 to 18
- Education phase
- View all Secondaryjobs
- School size
- 896 pupils enrolled
- Age range
- 11 to 18
- Ofsted report
- View Ofsted report (opens in new tab)
- School website
- Harris Academy Bermondsey website (opens in new tab)
- Email address
- Phone number
- 0207 237 9316
Harris Academy Bermondsey is a girls' school in the heart of London with drive and ambition. Ofsted rates us as Outstanding in every category, and we are passionate about making a difference to the lives of our young women, ensuring that they have every opportunity to succeed by identifying and nurturing each one's individual talents. Our uncompromising but caring approach to education has put us as one of the highest performing schools nationally for student progress and has led to GCSE results that are above the national average.
Similar jobs nearby
Second in Charge (2ic) of Religious Education
The St Thomas the Apostle College
Hollydale Road, London, SE15 2EB
The Hemel Hempstead School
Heath Lane, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP1 1TX
We need a fantastic Head of Religious Studies..!
Southborough High School
Hook Road, Surbiton, Surrey, KT6 5AS
Get a job alert when similar jobs are listed
Find more school jobs in London