Head of Science
This job expired on 20 March 2023 – see similar jobs
Start date details
20 March 2023 at 11:59pm
10 March 2023
- Key stage 3, Key stage 4, Key stage 5
- View all Full timejobs - Directed
Full-time equivalent salary
- MPS (Outer London) + £1,500 Harris Allowance + TLR
Performance and Loyalty Bonus + Pension Scheme (TPS) + Harris Wellbeing Cash Plan + Additional Harris Benefits
What skills and experience we're looking for
Are you a passionate teacher looking for your next step? We are looking for a qualified, experienced teacher to join Harris Academy Purley as Head of Science.
The successful candidate will:
- Hold QTS (or equivalent) and a relevant undergraduate degree, and, ideally, management training
- Demonstrate successful teaching of GCSE at good or better level
Have experience of initiation and effective management of change
Show evidence of raising achievement in present post and showing good value added for groups
- Have knowledge of current curriculum developments in subject and their implications
- Have good knowledge and understanding of current educational thinking
- Show good understanding of how children learn and how to raise standards of achievement
- Have good communication skills in speech and writing
- Display excellent organisational skills
- Be able to build and sustain professional standards and relationships with students
- Be able to contribute towards creating a safe and protective environment
What the school offers its staff
At Harris Academy Purley our motto is ‘to learn, to think, to act'. It enshrines a core tenet of our philosophy and that is that education in the classroom is only the beginning of a young person's development and of education in general. Learning can only come to fruition once it is assimilated and an individual is able to think for themselves. In turn, thought must lead to action and practical application.
A motto cannot just be a soundbite so those values and that ethos will apply to all we do and will be the foundation of the educational and extra-curricular opportunities offered to our students throughout the year.
Our students, boys and girls aged 11-19, deserve nothing less than an outstanding education and our aim is to make sure that our students of today are prepared for whatever challenges await them in the future. For that to happen, our staff must be experts in their field and must always encourage individuals to reach their potential. The curriculum is designed so that students, regardless of starting points, will thrive in an educational environment where the rigours and demands of the different subjects are embraced and taught in a supportive manner without compromising the academic challenges needed for success at all key stages.
Our people are at the heart of our success. We have developed a strong culture of collaboration and best practice, with professional development and career planning at its centre. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of top-quality training programmes delivered at every level to senior leadership.
We offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes our Harris Allowance for teachers on MPS/UPS, a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme, electric car scheme, a Wellbeing Cash Plan and many other benefits.
Further details about the role
The purpose of your role will be:
- To be accountable for leading, managing and developing the subject area.
- To raise standards of student attainment and achievement within the whole subject/curriculum area and to monitor and support student progress.
- To ensure the provision of an appropriately broad, balanced, relevant and differentiated curriculum for students studying in the department, in accordance with the aims of the academy and the curricular policies determined by the Governing Body and Principal.
- To teach the relevant subject across the age and ability range.
- To facilitate and encourage a learning experience which provides students with the opportunity to achieve their individual potential.
- To effectively manage and deploy staff, financial and physical resources within the department.
- To share and support the school's responsibility to provide and monitor opportunities for personal and academic growth.
Your main areas of responsibility will fall under the areas of:
- Operational and strategic planning (including formulating the subject and faculty improvement plans, and leading the development of appropriate syllabuses, resources, schemes of work, marking policies, assessment and teaching strategies)
- Ensuring the delivery of an appropriate, comprehensive, high quality and cost effective curriculum and leading development of the subject and its delivery
- Staff development (including recruiting, building and managing an effective team of motivated staff)
- Student outcomes (including ensuring the effective operation of target setting, monitoring and evaluation systems and the input and maintenance of accurate student data)
- Pastoral system (including being a form tutor to a selected group of students)
- Teaching, including acting as an outstanding role model
Commitment to safeguarding
About Harris Academy Purley
- School type
- Academy, ages 11 to 19
- Education phase
- View all Secondaryjobs
- School size
- 1225 pupils enrolled
- Age range
- 11 to 19
- Ofsted report
- View Ofsted report (opens in new tab)
- School website
- Harris Academy Purley website (opens in new tab)
- Email address
- Phone number
- 0208 681 1141
Harris Academy Purley is an oversubscribed 11-19 co-educational academy with currently 1050 students on roll, situated on the Croydon/Surrey border. Open since September 2009, we are judged Outstanding by Ofsted, and moved into a state-of-the-art new building in September 2012. We are a happy, hard-working and highly ambitious community in which students and staff treat on another with care and respect, combining traditional values of discipline and good manners with contemporary best practice in teaching and technology. The academy’s leadership team and staff share an expectation that each and every student who joins Harris Academy Purley achieves his or her “personal best”. With an emphasis on Enterprise, the academy strives each and every day to create a culture and ethos which promotes curiosity, initiative and leadership in all our young people.
Similar jobs nearby
Teacher|Lead Practitioner of Ivrit
Harrow, Middlesex, HA3 9TE
Imberhorne Lane, East Grinstead, West Sussex, RH19 1QY
Greig City Academy
High Street, London, N8 7NU
Hazelwick School Close, Crawley, West Sussex, RH10 1SX
Get a job alert when similar jobs are listed
Find more school jobs in Surrey