Head of Science
We are seeking to appoint a forward thinking and passionate Head of Science to lead our excellent Science department. This is an exciting opportunity for a committed and motivated professional to develop the Science provision within the school and ensure that our students are achieving their potential.
As Head of Department, you will have well developed leadership skills to build upon the department’s current achievements as well as having the ability to think outside the box to ensure students are eager to learn. You will be an excellent classroom practitioner with a proven track record enthusing and engaging students.
The Head of Department is responsible for the effective delivery of Science in line with the School’s Development Plan and to ensure that students across the ability range fulfil their potential.
The post holder will have responsibility for the delivery, organisation and management of the subject and for the direction of those staff teaching it.
Heads of Department are expected to contribute to planning and policy making.
Management of the Curriculum
• the planning and the delivery of Science
• the development of units of work that meet the learning needs of students within the context of the National Curriculum
• the writing, monitoring and reviewing of schemes of work
• the contribution to the delivery of the school’s inclusion and cross curricular programmes
• the liaison with the Curriculum Support Team to ensure that pupils’ learning is adequately supported
• the assessment, recording and review of student progress
• the use of assessment information to set targets for students
• the implementation within their department of the school’s discipline and behaviour policy.
• the implementation of the school’s Teaching & Learning Policy.
Management of Staff
• to act as line manager for staff within their subject area
• to take part in the Performance Management process within the school’s policy
• to contribute to the professional development of staff
• to provide support for N Q T’s and trainee teachers.
Management of Resources
• to manage allocated resources effectively to support student learning and raise achievement
• to support the school’s Health and Safety Policy.
Management of Behaviour & Discipline
• to manage the department’s system of pupil support and guidance, including supporting whole school policies on Behaviour and Discipline.
Essential educational requirements
Degree or equivalent in a Science discipline.
PGCE in Science
Essential skills and experience
An understanding of the duties and responsibilities of a full time teacher of Science
An existing or aspirational Head of department (the school is committed to providing appropriate support and training)
Successful teaching across the whole ability range.
Ability to communicate effectively.
Good ICT skills and ability to use in a Science context
A willingness to work as a member of a team.
Enthusiasm, perseverance, energy, flexibility.
About Netherhall Learning Campus High School
Netherhall Learning Campus High School is an 11-19 mixed school based in the Rawthorpe community with approximately 750 pupils on roll. Following our last Ofsted inspection in November 2016 we were rated as “Good”, this was a real testament to the hard work and dedication of our staff and students. We are currently over-subscribed in Years 7 to 10 and our numbers have grown significantly since our last inspection. We are a forward-thinking school, always looking for areas to develop and improve as well as being very open to new ideas; we feel this is best way to ensure consistent development and attainment of our students.
- Netherhall Avenue, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, HD5 9PG
- LA Maintained School
- Netherhall Learning Campus High School website (opens in a new window)