Head of Science
This job expired on 30 May 2023 – see similar jobs
30 May 2023 at 9am
26 May 2023
- Fixed term
Full-time equivalent salary
- £50,122.00 to £52,659.00
Head of Science job summary
The Oldham Academy North is an ambitious, inclusive 11-16 academy in Oldham. We set high expectations for our students in all areas and encourage them to become ambassadors of their community. We continue to be a 'Good' school, whilst leading to excellent student progress and putting us in the top 100 best schools in England & one of the top 10 schools in the North.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in one of the best comprehensive schools in the North West of England and the most improved academy in Oldham. We are proud that our quality of education at The Oldham Academy North is world class, leading to GCSE outcomes that are well above average.
We are looking for a dynamic, creative, and inspirational teacher with drive and high standards to fill the Head of Science post from September 2023. The appointed candidate will be an experienced teacher with a track record of contributing to and helping to develop their current science department, and will lead an innovative and forward–looking team.
Reporting to SLT link, this post holder will be accountable for:
Leading, managing and developing the subject area
- Provide day-to-day leadership for the development and management of teaching within your area
- Identify areas for development and improvement linked to the Academy improvement plan, SEF, national and local initiatives.
People Development and Management
- Workforce planning for current and future demands to ensure sufficient, appropriately trained staff are available to effectively perform day-to-day requirements and manage periods of peak work volumes to meet KPIs
- Actively lead and participate in the recruitment and selection process of new team members
- Coach, mentor and develop staff including overseeing new employee onboarding, agreeing objectives, performance management, appraisal and career planning and identify CPD needs and opportunities.
- Responsible for the Health and Safety, security and welfare of self and colleagues in accordance with E-ACT’s policies and procedures, reporting all concerns to an appropriate person.
- Responsible for working in accordance with E-ACT’s policy relating to the promotion of Equality, Diversity, and Inclusivity
For a full description of the role, see the job description and job specification.
We know just how important it is to think big and to help break those glass ceilings faced by young people today. Together we can encourage our pupils to step out from their comfort zones, build self-esteem and broaden their horizons.
What the trust offers in return
- Teacher Pension Scheme
- Ride to Work Scheme
- Market leading Personal Development and Training plans to further your career
- Access to Mental Health First Aid Programme
- 24 hours access to Employee Assistance Programme
We are an E-ACT academy and proud to be part of a community that includes over 18,000 pupils and over 2,500 teaching and non-teaching professionals across the country.
E-ACT is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people and vulnerable adults, and all appointments are subject to enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks and satisfactory references.
E-ACT is also committed to promoting equality, challenging discrimination and developing community cohesion. We welcome applications from all sections of the community.
About The Oldham Academy North
- School type
- Academy, ages 11 to 16
- Education phase
- View all Secondaryjobs
- School size
- 1322 pupils enrolled
- Age range
- 11 to 16
- Ofsted report
- View Ofsted report (opens in new tab)
- School website
- The Oldham Academy North website (opens in new tab)
The Oldham Academy North is an ambitious, inclusive 11-16 secondary academy in Oldham. We have over 1100 students on roll and set high expectations for our students in all areas and encourage them to become ambassadors for their community.
Similar jobs nearby
Hollins Lane, Accrington, Lancashire, BB5 2QY
Ellesmere Park High School
Wentworth Road, Manchester, M30 9BP
Director of Learning: Science/Teacher of Biology KS5
Tauheedul Islam Boys' High School
Sumner Street, Blackburn, BB2 2LD
Second in Humanities, Head of PSHCE, RE & Sociology
King James's School
St Helen's Gate, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, HD4 6SG
Get a job alert when similar jobs are listed
Find more school jobs in Oldham and Greater Manchester