Head of Year
The Brakenhale School, Bracknell, Berkshire
|Working pattern||Full-time only|
|Salary||Main pay range 1 to Upper pay range 3, £25,000|
Aim and main purpose of the job
To work with a team of teachers focusing on a curricular area to ensure high standards of teaching and learning.
To lead a year group team to support the pastoral needs for all our students.
• Demonstrate subject competence and to keep up-to-date their knowledge of the National Curriculum for 11-16 year olds in relation to their subject; and where relevant to the post, other examination courses at KS4 and Post 16.
• Ability to demonstrate delivering curriculum courses to KS5.
• To teach across a range of abilities and ages commensurate with their experience and skills and as agreed in consultation with the Headteacher and Head of Department.
• To plan lessons in accordance with the agreed departmental scheme of work and in line with the departmental teaching and learning policy.
• To assess how well learning objectives have been achieved and use this assessment to improve aspects of teaching.
• To develop the expertise to be able to recognise the level at which a pupil is achieving, and make accurate and valid assessments using school and departmental policies and procedures.
• To monitor the academic progress of the year group in order to secure and sustain effective learning, with particular reference to the proportion of students and groups of students making the requisite levels of progress.
• To undertake supervisory duties before school, at break or after school as required.
Essential educational requirements
Education to degree or equivalent level in a relevant subject
Qualified Teacher Status
Evidence of continued professional development and a commitment to further professional development
The ability to effectively teach one or more specialist subjects to GCSE and beyond
Essential skills and experience
Ability to raise pupil achievement across KS3 & 4 age and ability range
Ability to raise pupil achievement in KS5
Capability to provide a clear sense of direction and purpose to achieve aims
Ability to work effectively under pressure and maintain self-motivation
Knowledge of current educational issues relating to pastoral care and child protection
Knowledge of current educational issues relating to curriculum and assessment
An understanding of interventions to drive up standards across KS3, 4 & 5 and raise pupil achievement
Experience of dealing successfully and diplomatically with parents and community representatives
Experience of classroom teaching within a secondary school setting, including evidence of high student achievement and progress
Ability to use ICT effectively
Demonstrable experience of improving pupil outcomes
High quality outcomes
Experience as a form tutor and/or pastoral work
Willingness to deliver and to be involved in extra-curricular activities
• Extensive CPD programmes
• Employee Assistance Programme
• Wellness Weeks
• Reduced Gym Membership and other bonuses
• Excellent maternity package
• Wednesday warrior awards
• Staff social club
• Excellent pension and life insurance package
• Cake at Break days
• Other additional awards
|School size||1165 pupils enrolled|
|Age range||11 to 18|
|Ofsted report||View Ofsted report|
|School website||The Brakenhale School website (opens in a new window)|
About The Brakenhale School
Rectory Lane, Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 7BA