• Post: Head teacher – with a teaching role to be determined
• Responsible to: Governing Body
The duties outlined in this job description are in addition to those covered by the latest School Teachers' Pay and Conditions Document. It may, in the future, be modified by the governing body, with your agreement, to reflect or anticipate changes in the job, commensurate with the salary and job title.
Head teacher - Main Duties and Responsibilities
Leadership and Management:
• To ensure that the school is a place where children are happy, secure and have the opportunity for good, fun filled learning
• To ensure that the vision and values statements of the school are clearly articulated, understood and embedded in the everyday work of the school
• To develop the school’s priorities for self improvement through a comprehensive Self Evaluations and support School Development Plan
• To communicate effectively with all stake holders
• To ensure the smooth day to day organisation of the school and preschool
• To report to the governing body regularly on the progress of the school towards meeting its objectives in improvement
• To uphold rigorous safeguarding systems to promote the safety and wellbeing of all children
Learning and Teaching:
• To be an outstanding practitioner and role model for the learning and teaching
• To hold staff to account for the progress and outcomes of the children
• To set high expectations of learning and teaching so that outcomes and progress are improving and sustained
• To monitor the learning and teaching across the whole school
• To be proactively involved in leading the staff team in the development and delivery of a high quality broad and balanced curriculum
• To provide support for staff to improve practice as needed
• To create an ethos where all staff feel valued and supported to be the best that they can be and where they have the opportunities to develop their skills and strengthen their practice
• To implement strategies to support the highest standards of behaviour and attendance
• To teach modelling outstanding skills and effective practice to achieve least good outcomes (see class teacher job description below)
• To foster strong principles of inclusion, equality and diversity
• To lead the performance management processes in the school for all staff
• To identify CPD needs and opportunities to improve skills and practice for all
• To maintain and model high expectations for all
• To ensure the effective daily running of the school
• To communicate effectively with children, staff, other professional colleagues, governors and parents
• To maintain and ensure a safe calm well ordered environment with a focus on safeguarding children
• To track the progress of children across the school so that there is a clear process in place for securing good outcomes at the end of each year
• To develop proactive risk assessments to secure the safety and wellbeing of all
• To work with governors and finance staff to set a budget which is managed effectively to ensure that the key priorities of the school are recognised and developed and to ensure sustainability
• To be proactive in the maintenance of the school buildings and the health and safety management
• To promote the integration and inclusion of all children regardless of their needs and secure quality first teaching and a flexible approach to their supporting their needs
• To ensure team work so that there is a consistent approach which supports all aspects of school life
• Inspire and influence others within the team to promote and value education for life
Strengthening the school community:
• Create and maintain effective partnerships and good communication with parents and carers to support and improve achievements and wellbeing
• Support events and activities that involve children, families and the communities beyond the school day
• Collaborate with other agencies, both professional and voluntary to provide for the academic, spiritual, moral, social emotional and cultural wellbeing of the children
This is not an exhaustive list of the duties required of a head teacher but they represent the key elements.
Please refer to the National Head Teachers Standards 2015 for further information about the expectations of the role.
Job Description updated November 2018
Essential educational requirements
• Qualified teacher status, degree level or equivalent
• Further professional/academic study and evidence of CPD and knowledge of current issues in education
• Proven leadership with a senior management/ head teacher role in a primary setting
• Experience of working within an inclusive environment
• Experience of co-ordinating the work of support staff.
Essential skills and experience
• Excellent practitioner
• Secure knowledge of N C & assessment expectations
• Evidence of raising standards of attainment and achievement
• Excellent behaviour strategies.
• Able to work autonomously and confidently.
• Demonstration of strategic approaches to school improvement
• An understanding of how to promote the wellbeing and safeguarding
• Hold and articulate clear vision, values and moral purpose.
• The ability to lead and to work as part of a team.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
• A commitment to an open, honest and diverse school community
• A positive sense of humour!
About Jacobstow Community Primary School
- Jacobstow, Bude, Cornwall, EX23 0BR
- LA Maintained School
- Jacobstow Community Primary School website (opens in a new window)