The Governors of Mountjoy Special School are seeking to appoint a Headteacher to start in September 2020.
Mountjoy School is a vibrant and unique Special School, supporting pupils aged 2 ½ to 19.
The school is arranged into 11 classes, from Early Years to Post 16. Close to the Dorset, Somerset and Devon borders, and within the beautiful Jurassic Coast area, we make the most of our location, taking our learning out of the classroom at every opportunity through the regular use of Forest and Beach Schools. We support all our pupils to achieve their full potential. We have achieved Rights Respecting Award at Silver level and are working towards Gold. We are rated Good by Ofsted,
We are looking for a headteacher who :
· Has significant leadership experience of working with SEND
· Has a proven ability to lead school improvement and further raise standards
· Is passionate about championing the needs and aspirations of children and young people with Special Educational `needs and disabilities.
· Is committed to keeping all children safe
Please see our person specification for full details.
In return, we offer you:
· Committed, dedicated staff
· Strong support from governors
· A purpose-built school in an AONB, complete with hydrotherapy pool, soft play and sensory room
· A current “Good” Ofsted rating
Mountjoy School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people; this is a commitment which we expect all staff and volunteers to share. The successful candidate will be required to have a Disclosure and Barring Service check in line with the Governments safer recruitment guidelines.
Mountjoy School values the diversity of our workforce and welcomes applications from all sectors of the community.
Any offer of a position will be subject to satisfactory references and DBS check.
Essential educational requirements
Qualified teacher status
Qualified teacher status
Evidence of recent professional development
SEND qualification or significant SEND experience
Essential skills and experience
Headship or significant leadership experience of working with SEND.
Experience in leading staff in a positive approach to challenges which demonstrates creativity and imagination, and which are strategic and solution focused.
Knowledge of current legislation and developments in education
Understanding of the SEN Code of Practice.
Experience of developing effective partnerships with multi-agency partners and the wider community.
Determination to overcome all barriers to inclusive inclusion of all Commitment to enhance the moral, social and cultural development of pupils through the life of the school.
About Mountjoy School
- Tunnel Road, Beaminster, Dorset, DT8 3HB
- Not Applicable
- Special School
- Mountjoy School website (opens in a new window)