Headteacher (Head of School)
Join us and help us shape the future of Catholic education in Nottingham.
The Diocese of Nottingham is looking to appoint a new Headteacher to this popular Catholic Primary School from September 2020. However, we are also keen to hear from talented individuals who aspire to full headship but who might initially benefit from a period of appointment as a Head of School supported in the short term by an experienced Headteacher colleague. Such individuals would have high potential but might not necessarily yet have Deputy Headteacher experience. The successful candidate, whether appointed as a Headteacher or a Head of School, would be able to access outstanding CPD opportunities via the Trust and Teaching School and would be offered a level of support appropriate for their skills and experience.
St Joseph’s is part of the Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Multi-Academy Trust, along with all the Catholic schools in Nottinghamshire.
The school is a one form entry and is a vibrant school where the life of Jesus is central to everything the school undertakes. Pupils make strong progress during their time at the school.
Reporting to and working closely with the CEO, you will focus your leadership skills on both the Catholic life of the school and standards of teaching and learning. Working with the school community, you will be responsible for the all-round spiritual, social and academic development of all pupils.
This is a reserved post which means that applicants must be practising Catholics.
Please consult the document produced by the Diocese of Nottingham ‘Catholic Schools and the Definition of a Practising Catholic’ for further information. A copy of this document is included as part of the application pack.
The successful candidate will:
• be a practising Catholic with a strong faith commitment and a clear vision for Catholic Education
• ensure that the example and teachings of Jesus Christ are at the centre of all that we do
• have a proven track records of successful leadership, management and school improvement
• have the vision, drive and energy to initiate, lead and manage strategies to build on the current successes and achievements of the school
• be passionate about ensuring that each pupil fulfils their unique potential
• be a confident, positive and visible leader with the ability to build relationships with staff, pupils, parents, Governors, Directors and others working in the CMAT and a wide variety of external partners
• constantly be looking ahead, working closely with the CMAT, Governors and the SLT to develop a compelling faith centred vision for the school that acts as the focus of all activity and drives improvement
• be able to build successful teams and work collaboratively with others to achieve success
• have the ability to drive themselves and others
• be able to respond and adapt effectively to changing circumstances, maintaining high levels of performance
• actively listen and effectively communicate to a wide range of audiences
• place safeguarding at the heart of the school
In return we can offer you:
• enthusiastic and ambitious pupils who are keen to learn
• a highly supportive and ambitious Catholic Multi-Academy Trust Board and Governing Body
• a school which is fully staffed by a dedicated, well qualified teaching and support team committed to supporting the school and its pupils
• the benefits of The Nottingham Catholic Teaching School Alliance. You would benefit from first class CPD opportunities and be able to lead CPD for the TSA
• an excellent, bespoke induction programme
There will be an expectation that you will make a positive contribution to the overall development of the Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Multi-Academy Trust.
To arrange a meeting with the CEO and a visit to the school please contact Mrs Karen Rich, Executive Assistant to James McGeachie, CEO at firstname.lastname@example.org
To obtain an application pack please contact James McGeachie, CEO at email@example.com
Closing date: Friday 24 January 2020 (9.00 am)
Interviews will be held on Wednesday 5 February 2020
The Trust and St Joseph’s School are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and we expect all staff to share this commitment. An enhanced DBS check and other pre-employment checks are required for successful applicants.
Essential educational requirements
Degree or equivalent.
Catholic Certificate of Religious Studies or equivalent (desirable)
National Professional Qualification or equivalent (desirable)
Qualified Teacher Status
Essential skills and experience
Experience of a leadership role in a Catholic primary school
Evidence of effective classroom practice
Effective leadership experience at head, assistant head or SLT level
Evidence of strategic planning to raise standards for all students
Experience of successful implementation of strategies for raising achievement and ensuring effective teaching and assessment
Secure understanding of strategies for staff performance management, pay and progression
Live and bear witness to faith and act as a role model
Approachable, has presence and enjoys being highly visible to staff, pupils and parents
Ability to remain resilient, positive, enthusiastic and good humoured when working under pressure
Understanding of the school’s role in the parishes and wider community
Experience of offering challenge and support to improve performance of academic, pastoral and support work
Outstanding CPD opportunities via the Trust and Teaching School.
About St Joseph's Catholic Primary and Nursery School
St Joseph’s Catholic Primary and Nursery School currently has 248 children on roll aged 3-11 years serving the localities of Ollerton, Boughton and surrounding areas of North Nottinghamshire. We feel our Mission statement ‘Growing in Love, in the Spirit of Christ, for the benefit of all’ reflects all we stand for as a School community. We put the example of Christ at the centre of all we do to help us grow Socially, Academically, Spiritually, Morally and Physically in our learning and our friendships. We do this for ourselves as well as for the members of the School, Parish, Local, National and International communities in which we live. The school opened in 1963 and has benefited from several projects of refurbishment, modernisation and extension with the most recent being in the Summer of 2018. The school strives to provide modern facilities and a learning environment in which our children can flourish. The school converted to an Academy in July 2015 and became Part of The Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Multi Academy Trust in September 2018 working with other local Catholic Schools to strive for the best for all our children. As a result we have happy children with a love of learning who are well mannered and polite. Children respect each other and the world in which they live and they have a good reputation within the local community. The Parents of our Children share our desire for the best for all our children and recognise the need for a positive, open and mutually respectful partnership between Home and School. The School last Received and Ofsted Inspection in May 2018 resulting in a Good judgement in all areas supporting our evaluation of the strength and areas for development of our school.
- Main Road, Newark, Nottinghamshire, NG22 9JE
- St Joseph's Catholic Primary and Nursery School website (opens in a new window)