Headteacher (Head of School)
Join us and help us shape the future of Catholic education in Nottingham.
The Diocese of Nottingham is looking to appoint a new Headteacher to this popular Catholic Primary School from September 2020. However, we are also keen to hear from talented individuals who aspire to full headship but who might initially benefit from a period of appointment as a Head of School supported in the short term by an experienced Headteacher colleague. Such individuals would have high potential but might not necessarily yet have Deputy Headteacher experience. The successful candidate, whether appointed as a Headteacher or a Head of School, would be able to access outstanding CPD opportunities via the Trust and Teaching School and would be offered a level of support appropriate for their skills and experience.
St Mary’s is part of the Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Multi-Academy Trust, along with all the Catholic schools in Nottinghamshire.
The school is a one form entry and is a vibrant school where the life of Jesus is central to everything the school undertakes. Pupils make strong progress during their time at the school.
Reporting to and working closely with the CEO, you will focus your leadership skills on both the Catholic life of the school and standards of teaching and learning. Working with the school community, you will be responsible for the all-round spiritual, social and academic development of all pupils.
This is a reserved post which means that applicants must be practising Catholics.
Please consult the document produced by the Diocese of Nottingham ‘Catholic Schools and the Definition of a Practising Catholic’ for further information. A copy of this document is included as part of the application pack.
The successful candidate will:
• be a practising Catholic with a strong faith commitment and a clear vision for Catholic Education
• ensure that the example and teachings of Jesus Christ are at the centre of all that we do
• have a proven track records of successful leadership, management and school improvement
• have the vision, drive and energy to initiate, lead and manage strategies to build on the current successes and achievements of the school
• be passionate about ensuring that each pupil fulfils their unique potential
• be a confident, positive and visible leader with the ability to build relationships with staff, pupils, parents, Governors, Directors and others working in the CMAT and a wide variety of external partners
• constantly be looking ahead, working closely with the CMAT, Governors and the SLT to develop a compelling faith centred vision for the school that acts as the focus of all activity and drives improvement
• be able to build successful teams and work collaboratively with others to achieve success
• have the ability to drive themselves and others
• be able to respond and adapt effectively to changing circumstances, maintaining high levels of performance
• actively listen and effectively communicate to a wide range of audiences
• place safeguarding at the heart of the school
In return we can offer you:
• enthusiastic and ambitious pupils who are keen to learn
• a highly supportive and ambitious Catholic Multi-Academy Trust Board and Governing Body
• a school which is fully staffed by a dedicated, well qualified teaching and support team committed to supporting the school and its pupils
• the benefits of The Nottingham Catholic Teaching School Alliance. You would benefit from first class CPD opportunities and be able to lead CPD for the TSA
• an excellent, bespoke induction programme
There will be an expectation that you will make a positive contribution to the overall development of the Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Multi-Academy Trust.
To arrange a meeting with the CEO and a visit to the school please contact Mrs Karen Rich, Executive Assistant to James McGeachie, CEO at firstname.lastname@example.org
To obtain an application pack please contact James McGeachie,
CEO at email@example.com
Closing date: Friday 24 January 2020 (9.00 am)
Interview date: Tuesday 4 February 2020
The Trust and St Mary’s School are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and we expect all staff to share this commitment. An enhanced DBS check and other pre-employment checks are required for successful applicants.
Essential educational requirements
Degree or equivalent.
Catholic Certificate of Religious Studies or equivalent (desirable)
National Professional Qualificaton for Headship (desirable)
Qualified Teacher Status.
Essential skills and experience
Experience of a leadership role in a Catholic primary school
Evidence of effective classroom practice
Effective leadership experience at head, assistant head or SLT level
Evidence of strategic planning to raise standards for all students
Experience of successful implementation of strategies for raising achievement and ensuring effective teaching and assessment
Secure understanding of strategies for staff performance management, pay and progression
Live and bear witness to faith and act as a role model
Approachable, has presence and enjoys being highly visible to staff, pupils and parents
Ability to remain resilient, positive, enthusiastic and good humoured when working under pressure
Understanding of the school’s role in the parishes and wider community
Experience of offering challenge and support to improve performance of academic, pastoral and support work
Access to outstanding CPD opportunities via the Trust and Teaching School.
About St Mary's Catholic Primary School
We are a Catholic community of learners striving to achieve excellence in everything that we do. St. Mary’s is a place where people matter and we are very proud of the tradition the school has for taking care of and supporting children as they learn and develop. Ensuring that every child learns to the best of his or her ability is at the core of what we do. We take a holistic view of education and seek to develop children academically, physically, spiritually, culturally, personally and emotionally. At St Mary’s we aim to develop a caring community where children and adults live in harmony. Our mission statement promotes learning as a lifelong process and it directs everything the school attempts to do. We want the children in our care: “To walk hand in hand with God, loving him, loving each other and loving ourselves, doing our best with the gifts he gave us to make the world a richer place.” The School Ethos is marked by: High expectations of our staff, children and families to be the best they can. Equal opportunities, where all individuals connected with the school will be granted dignity and respect because we believe people are our most important asset. Everybody working together, striving for excellence. A happy environment where every child matters and feels safe and secure. Change and innovation, always willing to try new ideas as “discovery and research are an exploration into the mind of God.”
- Beaconsfield Street, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG7 6FL
- St Mary's Catholic Primary School website (opens in a new window)