Stanton Vale School, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire
|Subjects||Other, Other, Other|
|Working pattern||Will consider full-time, job share|
|Salary||£16,354 to £17,835 per year (full-time equivalent)|
Hours: 35 hrs per week
Rate of pay: Grade 7 (Actual Salary £16,354.00 - £17,835.00)
Responsible to: Senior Intervention Assistant
• Intervention Assistant – Cover’s primary role is to provide Intervention Assistant cover in classes where there are staff absences as a result of sickness or attendance at meetings, training etc. Deployment will be determined by Middle and Senior Leaders as most appropriate regarding the needs of the pupils.
• To work under the guidance of teaching/senior staff and within an agreed system of supervision, to support access to learning with individuals/groups, in or out of the classroom, including assisting with the general care, mobility and personal hygiene needs of pupils. The primary focus will be to ensure continued high quality learning and pupil achievement.
• The post-holder will be required to demonstrate a high level of flexibility being prepared to work across the school in all Key Stages and with a wide range of children and young people with differing complex needs.
• On a daily basis they will be required to report to members of the middle and senior leadership team to establish where the need for cover support is greatest. Their deployment may change as the day and the week progresses.
• Although the post is primarily to support lessons in the classroom, there may be times when no cover is required. The following duties may then be undertaken:
o in class support
o helping with displays around school
o supporting the administration team
o supporting administration
o lunch duty of a cover lesson
o supporting school visits
• The post-holder will demonstrate essential professional characteristics, and in particular will:
o Engage and motivate pupils
o Improve the quality of pupils’ learning
o Inspire trust and confidence in pupils and colleagues
o Build team commitment with colleagues and in the classroom
o Demonstrate analytical thinking
o Demonstrate empathy with and an appreciation of the care needs of pupils
Teaching Assistant Agreed Framework Requirements
In all cases, indicative tasks at the competency level specified within the Teaching Assistant agreed Framework, will be the reference point for the competencies listed below.
• Be a proactive part of the teaching team, ensuring that all pupils make good or better progress
• Establish constructive relationships and use a variety of methods to communicate with parents and other relevant professionals, in liaison with the teacher, to support pupils’ learning, well-being and progress
• Promote the inclusion and acceptance of all pupils within the classroom, school and wider community
• Encourage pupils to interact and work co-operatively in learning activities
• Promote independence and employ strategies to recognise and reward achievement of self-reliance and build self-esteem
• Maintain, develop and apply professional knowledge to enable effective teaching and learning support
• Share such knowledge with colleagues to improve whole school effectiveness
• Promote positive values, attitudes and good pupil behaviour, dealing promptly with conflict and incidents in line with established policy and encourage pupils to take responsibility for their own behaviour
• Respond quickly and appropriately to demands made by individual pupils to meet general care, mobility, and personal hygiene needs
• Understand and apply the principles of good classroom management
• Understand and apply a range of appropriate support strategies
• Be conversant with the schools safeguarding policy and actively employ said policy in order to keep pupils across school safe
• Be aware of the Data Protection Act and other legislation to ensure confidentiality of records and information.
WHOLE SCHOOL ETHOS
• Where appropriate contribute to the formulation of school policies
• Execute school policies
• Promote the wider aspirations of the school and MAT
• Share in the visions and values of the school and MAT
The appointment is subject to the current conditions of employment for Teaching Assistants contained in the Guidelines of the Derbyshire County Council agreed framework and the Education Act (2002), with particular regard to the regulations made under section 133 and the statutory responsibilities of the Governing Bodies of schools, and any other current applicable legislation. The post-holder will comply with Health and Safety requirements and specifically will take reasonable care of him/herself and other persons who may be affected by his/her acts or omissions at work (Health and Safety at Work Act 1974), and other relevant employment legislation and school policies.
The Governing Body reserve the right to amend the job description at any time after consultation with the post-holder.
Stanton Vale School is part of The Esteem Multi Academy Trust.
Essential educational requirements
• Grade C or above GCSE English (or equivalent).
• Grade C or above GCSE Maths (or equivalent).
• PROACT-SCIPr-UK trained (or equivalent)
• Care/Teaching Assistant related qualification/NVQ level 2 or equivalent (or able to pass this qualification within timescale).
Essential skills and experience
• Successful experience of working with young people with behavioural needs.
• Experience of supporting young people with Physical needs, behaviour and /or learning difficulties
• Experience of working in classrooms setting
• Experience of de-escalation strategies to support behaviour for learning.
• Knowledge of personal care procedures and physical disabilities
• Good oral and written communication skills
• Good organisational skills
• Knowledge and use of Microsoft software and e mail
• Ability to maintain accurate records
• A commitment to teamwork
• Able to form positive relationships
• Ability to undertake a range of teaching activities with confidence, working effectively with individual pupils, groups of pupils and whole classes
• Ability to contribute to planning and preparation of lessons and teaching materials,
• Ability to contribute to assessment and monitoring of pupil progress (if required).
|Education phase||Not Applicable|
|School size||84 pupils enrolled|
|Age range||2 to 19|
|Ofsted report||View Ofsted report|
|Website||Stanton Vale School website (opens in a new window)|
Thoresby Road, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG10 3NP