Barnwood Park is seeking to appoint a well-qualified, highly organised and hardworking individual to work as our new Lead for First Aid & Children with Medical Needs.
You will be confident, resilient and able to work in a fast paced environment. You will be able to build positive working relationships with students, parents and staff, have well developed interpersonal skills and be able to work as part of the wider school support team.
- To coordinate provision for children with medical needs in school
- To ensure the school has effective first aid provision
- To support students at school who have medical conditions so that they have full access to the curriculum
- To ensure that adequate arrangements are in place to support students with medical conditions
- To work in partnership with school leaders, health and social care, students and parents to ensure that the needs of children with medical conditions are properly understood and effectively supported
Relationships: The postholder;
- Is responsible to the Headteacher via the Business & Operations Leader in all matters
- Will be line managed by the Business & Operations Leader
- Will maintain good working contacts with all levels of teaching and support staff, students, parents, Governors, staff members of Education and other Council Departments and other similar agencies, contractors, visitors and external bodies
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Acting as ‘Matron’ in our Secondary School to include care of sick, injured and distressed individuals until better and further care can be arranged with parents/hospital; dispense drugs as appropriate etc.
- Administer Intimate Care for students requiring assistance
- Work with teachers to identify children with particular developmental concerns, assess their health status and refer to specialist services where necessary.
- Work with parents, carers, specialist health professionals and others to develop, implement and monitor in-school care plans for students with complex health needs and long-term conditions (e.g. asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, anorexia or eating disorders, etc.) to enable them to attend and benefit from school.
- Develop and maintain accurate IHPs (Individual Healthcare plans) and PEEPS (Personal Evacuation Plans) for students with medical conditions
- Contribute to school’s emergency/business continuity plans incl responses to outbreaks of communicable diseases
- Work with teaching staff & the Designated Safeguarding Team to identify and act to safeguard students at risk of harm
- Uphold medical confidentiality in line with legal duty of confidentiality to students and maintain medical records accurately
- Ensure that all dispensed treatment given and supplies used are recorded
- Ensure all administration for the role is kept up to date
- Maintain and improve professional knowledge and competence, keep up to date with professional, clinical and healthcare issues relevant to work in schools
- Administer First Aid as required throughout the School community
Health and Safety:
- Understand the implications of H&S to carry out the role of the Offsite Visits Co-ordinator
- Be aware of the responsibility for Health, Safety, Safeguarding and Welfare and that of others who may be affected by your actions or inactions.
- Co-operate with the employer on all issues to do with Health, Safety, Safeguarding, Child Protection, Data Protection and Welfare
The postholder should have and exhibit:
- Excellent written, verbal and IT skills
- Knowledge of assessment of health needs of the school aged population
- An understanding of the principles of public health/community development, child protection, child surveillance programmes and accident prevention
·QCF/NVQ in Health and Social Care
- Up to date First Aid at Work Qualification
- Car driver
Barnwood Park can offer you:
- A strong and supportive Leadership Group
- An excellent body of motivated and innovative staff
- A diverse group of hardworking youngsters of all abilities who thrive on caring, challenging and inspiring teaching
- The departmental information will provide you with more details of the candidate specifications and school resources.
Employment is subject to a satisfactory enhanced disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We welcome applications from all sections of the community irrespective of race, gender, sexual orientation, disability, religion or age.
This appointment is subject to verification of the right to work in the UK.
Copies of the following policies relevant to the recruitment process can be found on our website www.barnwood-park.gloucs.sch.uk
Safer Recruitment Policy, Recruitment of Ex-Offenders Policy, Equality Policy (p12)
This job post has expired.