||MPS / UPS + TLR 2a
Job Description: Lead Teacher of Spanish
Start date: January 2021 or April 2021 or September 2021
Salary: MPS / UPS + TLR 2a
To provide outstanding leadership, teaching and learning of Spanish to ensure high attainment of their students.
Outcomes and Activities
Leadership of subject
• Develop innovative schemes of work which are inspiring for learners and teachers alike and feed into standards based assessments
• Produce periodic assessments with marks schemes
• Ensure assessments are moderated internally and externally
• Ensure end of year assessments reflect each pupil’s overall level which is both externally valid and provides an accurate baseline for the next academic year
• Analyse progress and attainment data to make data-driven changes to curriculum design, and pupil interventions
• Work in collaboration with classroom teachers and SENDCO to ensure pupils receive high quality interventions
• Work with the Head of All-Through MFL to ensure that classroom teachers are utilising best pedagogical practice for their subject
• Maintain regular communication and collaboration with their Ark subject network
Teaching and Learning
• Build on the current Spanish curriculum to extend and develop it further
• Devise and implement school wide standard based assessment programme for subject area
• Model a nurturing and structured classroom and school environment that helps pupils to develop as learners
• Model excellent pupil discipline and culture inside their classroom and across the whole academy
• Contribute to the effective working of the academy
• Be held accountable for all curriculum direction, teaching quality, and pupil attainment in their subject area
• Provide a nurturing classroom and school environment that helps students to develop as learners
• Helping to maintain/establish discipline across the whole academy
• Contribute to the effective working of the Academy
More on how to apply
• Undertake professional development as agreed with school leaders
• Perform additional duties and tasks required for the effective operation of the school, including: attending home visits, eating lunch with pupils, supervising silent sustained reading (DEAR), break supervision and gate duty
• Undertake other various responsibilities as directed by the Principal
About Ark King Solomon Academy
Lead Teacher of Spanish
Since inception, King Solomon Academy has consistently been one of the highest performing non-selective schools in the country. We are redefining what is possible and we are seeking an exceptional Spanish teacher, work with the Head of All-Through MFL to lead Spanish provision and to contribute to achieving our mission. This is a unique opportunity to be part of showing what education can achieve.
We seek an enthusiastic and talented leader and teacher, ready to guide the curriculum and teaching in Spanish and by doing so, to have a huge impact on the futures of our pupils. The Lead Teacher of Spanish would be responsible for outcomes at both GCSE and A Level and would be responsible for driving forwards extracurricular provision in MFL. French is our main language, with all pupils studying French from Year 5 onwards and therefore the ability to teach French to GCSE is a prerequisite. Spanish is taught as a popular options subject from Year 10 onwards and we have a small, but growing, A-Level cohort each year too.
This is an exciting role in an exceptional school, working alongside an inspirational team. We believe that our languages teaching is cutting-edge. With our all-through pupils we are confident that almost the entire year group will achieve at least Grade 6 at GCSE, an impressive achievement given our school serves a deprived community with low attainment on entry. We welcome the arrival of a Lead Teacher who can learn from and build on what has already been achieved, pushing further the frontiers of what all pupils can achieve in MFL.
All our pupils study French from Year 5 onwards, and make superb progress. We believe that our languages teaching is cutting-edge. With our all-through pupils we are confident that almost the entire year group will all achieve at least Grade 6 at GCSE, an impressive achievement given our school serves a deprived community with low attainment on entry. The ability to teach French and Spanish is essential. We welcome the arrival of a strong MFL leader who can learn from and build on what has already been achieved and motivate and inspire our exceptional team of MFL teachers.
MFL is brought to life at KSA by the engaging way it is taught. Our curriculum is rigorous and aims to deliver core knowledge and grammar through regular interleaving and repetition. Real world application permeates the curriculum: from exposure to authentic texts to learning about life in the trenches for a French soldier in World War 1. French is taught exclusively to the pupils at Key Stage 2 and 3, with Spanish introduced as an option in KS4. Being a pure all-through school, the Head of Department would be able to have the opportunity to lead the learning of languages in Primary also, where the foundation of language acquisition is laid down.
In recent years our outcomes in French and Spanish at GCSE have been strong. In last year’s results, with pupils who started French with us at Year 7, 52% of pupils achieved a 6 or higher, with 95% of our cohort sitting French GCSE. 20% of the cohort took Spanish, and 92% achieved an 7 or higher. We have a small but passionate provision at A-level in both French and Spanish, achieving well.
As a member of the curriculum leadership team, this role will require a leader who is 100% aligned to King Solomon Academy’s values, mission and approach. This role will provide the opportunity to be mentored and nurtured as a leader in one of the highest performing and most forward-thinking schools in the country.
Penfold Street, London, NW1 6RU