Bedfordshire Schools Trust (BEST) comprises ten flourishing academies and two Nurseries delivering first choice education, from Early Years to Advanced Level study. Our vision is ‘to grow the BEST in everyone.’ We believe in the importance of high expectations, hard work and the development of a community of schools where each of us strive to ‘be the best that we can be.’ Our schools work together to add value and compete to continually improve.
PURPOSE OF ROLE
Under the instruction and guidance of teaching staff/managers, to support student learning and attend to the personal, social and physical needs of a pupil with SEND in order to support their learning and development and to ensure their safety.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Support for Pupils
1. To attend to the educational, personal, social and physical needs of pupils and any other requirements depending on the pupil’s special needs and, wherever possible, make these parts of the learning experience.
2. Under agreed school procedures, for qualified first aiders, to give first aid/medicine where necessary; assist with programmes of special care under the direction and guidance of the appropriate specialist.
3. To promote and support the inclusion of all pupils in the learning activities in which they are involved.
4. Whilst there may be a specific requirement to support a named pupil or pupils with a Statement of Special Educational Needs, support to other pupils may also be required, at the direction of the Special Educational Needs and Disability Co-ordinator, (SENDCO) and the classroom teacher.
5. To provide support on school visits and the supervision of pupils on such visits, at the direction of the SENDCO, trip leader and the classroom teacher.
6. Supervision of pupils immediately before, during and after the midday meal. This includes pupils who have a school meal as well as those who bring their own food.
Support for Teachers
1. Within the overall plan set by the class teacher to support the differentiation of educational activities. This may include contributing to the development and implementation of the provision identified by the SEND Support Plan objectives of students and the needs of other students.
2. To assist the classroom teacher in maintaining classroom discipline by working with individual and groups of pupils in developing expectations of acceptable personal and social behaviour.
Support for the Curriculum
1. To support the teaching of literacy, numeracy or other specific curriculum areas/specialisms as required and agreed with the SENDCO.
Support for the School
1. To work collaboratively with colleagues as part of a professional team, in particular the class teacher, the SENDCO and other learning support assistants; working at all times within the school’s policies and procedures.
2. To assist in the general efficient operation of the school, including providing cover for other learning support staff where necessary as directed by the SENDCO.
3. To attend staff meetings, participate in performance management reviews and undertake training and development activities.
4. To maintain confidentiality at all times in respect of school-related matters and to prevent disclosure of confidential or sensitive information.
5. To undertake tasks of a similar nature and level, as directed by the Headteacher/SENDCO.
· Whilst every effort has been made to explain the duties and responsibilities of the post, each individual task undertaken may not be identified.
· Employees will be expected to comply with any reasonable request from the line manager to undertake work of a similar level that is not specified in this job description.
We actively encourage all applicants to apply online.
To apply online please go to https://www.mynewterm.com/school/Gothic-Mede-Academy/140281 and follow the online instructions.
If you have any questions, please contact GMA-Office@bestacademies.org.uk or 01462 732002. All applications must be received by the published closing date.
Please remember to include contact details for two referees and complete the equal opportunities monitoring form.
Note that this appointment is subject to Enhanced DBS clearance.
We look forward to receiving your application.
We are committed to the safeguarding and promotion of children's welfare and offers of employment are subject to DBS clearance and satisfactory references.
This job post has expired.